Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-16 10:42:29
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade will end July 29

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

Sorry to ask this, what someones may say, obvious question. If after upgrading to Windows 10 and LINKing Windows 10 updates to my Windows 7 "Product Key" as advised before. Then after reverting to Windows 7 from this Windows 10 update, HOW DO I restart my Windows 10 update again, if I wish to in later date, in my now Windows 7 Environment? Do I need to prepare a FULL copy of Windows 10 somewhere in a "bootable" format and activate it with my Windows 7 "Product Key", now linking to Windows 10 installation, or there will be a "Link" somewhere in my Windows 7 after previous linking of Windows 10 to Windows 7??

Thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sun 05-Jun-16 11:40:46
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

I'm not sure if Windows 10 will still appear in Windows Update after a rollback. But worst case you can just go here to upgrade again. It won't need activating again if it was previously installed on the same PC.

John.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-16 14:11:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sark:
But worst case you can just go here to upgrade again. It won't need activating again if it was previously installed on the same PC.

This LINK is exactly what I'm looking for IF I needed to upgrade to Windows 10 again after the previous rollback to Windows 7 from Windows 10 on the same PC.
Many thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jun-16 13:06:39
Print Post

I'm not sure if Windows 10 will still appear in Windows Update after a rollback. But worst case you can just go here to upgrade again. It won't need activating again if it was previously installed on the same PC.

after a roll back you think you have got away with it, but after a few weeks it all starts again and tries to get you to update again, in fact i know someone where MS have tried to update their machine again after a roll back.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User pxr5
(regular) Sat 02-Jul-16 12:03:25
Print Post

Pretty sure that the automatic activation process still ties the entitlement to specific hardware no matter what. However, you can now manually link your Windows 10 upgrade to a Windows 7/8 product key. This wasn't possible originally hence the conflicting information. Unfortunately, in your case, it does mean re-upgrading to Windows 10 to do the linking.

So on your upgraded Windows 10 PC go to Settings -> Updates -> Activation (or just type Activation into the start menu); click 'Change Product Key' then enter your Windows 7/8 retail key. Now when you buy a new PC you should be able to activate your Windows 10 install using the Windows 7/8 product key even after July 29th.

Thank you - that works. I've just upgraded to WIndows 10 on my old PC again and activated it using the Windows 7 retail key. I'm supposing now, that when I get a new PC it's just a matter of entering this 'key' during installation.
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jul-16 20:24:50
Print Post

[re: pxr5] [link to this post]

Both my desktop and laptop PCs were upgraded to Win10 from Win 7 Pro (full retail version). I then did a clean install from an ISO. They are now running Win 10 Pro with the Win10 generic licence key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T (they have very slightly different Product Ids). Both systems are fully activated.

If I were to change the licence key (Product Id?) to the relevant Windows 7 Pro licence key, does that mean I can then use that key on a replacement PC to activate an ISO built Win10?

In general, what are the benefits of so changing the licence key?

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to