Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Mon 23-May-16 20:26:04
Print Post

Re: Microsoft playing nasty

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
This one was set to notify too and it did for months. then it just did it!

It is the principle of it that has annoyed me. I had said No, No, No, No, No, and it totally ignored that.

Unfortunately getting annoyed at them will do no good - they don't listen, and ironically as a developer I am the sort of person they are trying to get to develop for their new store - except they are doing everything to chase me away from Windows.

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Mon 23-May-16 20:41:15
Print Post

Just seen this on another forum - Change of behaviour - clicking cross to close starts upgrade not stops it

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-May-16 21:38:39
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

I agree its shocking that they can allow this, but as ive mentioned before its easy to get out of any upgrade message by simple not installing the KB update that causes it. OK it takes a few minutes of Googling what the KB file will do, but it doesnt take much effort.

In general i download and install all security updates, and hide any "improvement to Windows" updates as these could be Windows 10 upgrades in disguise. And as i result not 1 upgrade message has ever appeared on my system.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-May-16 01:53:19
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kenneth:
Just seen this on another forum - Change of behaviour - clicking cross to close starts upgrade not stops it
Thanks for that. It explains how I updated my standby machine unintentionally, having accidentally clicked the GWX icon in the hidden icons then swore and hit the x on it.

I couldn't for the life of me work out what I did wrong.

The good news is all went swimmingly, bar feeling I needed to stay up till about 2am to make sure I didn't let it default to all the snooping options. There seemed to be no problems with the things I use on that machine, a couple of which I'd been unable to transfer to my current one. So a couple of weeks later I went for the update on my main one and all seems well after a day getting used to it. There are three or four "disabled" notifications I coundn't be bothered investigating - I didn't even read them. I thought I'd do that later, or deal with it if anything failed.

Too lazy re the "later", so far nothing has failed either.

All usage on both has always been normal desktop, with them set to boot to it, bar Microsoft Solitaire which is better under Win 10. It appears as a proper window and has a few improvements such as an auto-complete once you've solved the puzzle but have to move umpteen cards mechanically to their destinations. That was and is still present, acting automatically without a button, on one game. In the Daily Challenges it now also keeps the Goal on permanent view.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-16 06:20:54
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Just keep hiding it. Ive done it about a dozen times so far. Aslong as auto download/ install isn't enabled it wont get on your system
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-16 08:34:26
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

I've hacked the registry so that it won't upgrade the OS anyway.

The update reappears as an important update but isn't automatically selected.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User brush
(newbie) Tue 24-May-16 16:32:05
Print Post

On a Win7 machine we have been nagged about doing an update to Win10 and so far have refused it each time.

Yesterday morning (Sunday) the PC was brought out of hibernate and we were confronted with a scree which confirmed that an upgrade to Win10 had occurred.

On Friday evening, it was put into hibernate, then around 22:00 on Saturday, a hidden process must have activated and started teh upgrade - WITHOUT approval or acceptance.

Fortunately there is a capability to reverse the changes - which took a while yesterday.

It is totally unacceptable for MS to invoke an upgrade especially when a user has already said NO.

I installed W10 on my fairly new Lenovo & it's been OK, but I'm not that impressed really, other than that they're not doing badly in the catch-up department with the rest of the industry.
However, My old trusty Toshiba running Vista (very reliable only one BSOD in 8 years) died recently. I'm retired from 40 years in IT. One of my sons works in IT. When he heard my Tosh had died he said don't buy a new notebook I can get you one for virtually nothing. I took delivery of a 3 Years + Latitude with an SSD & installed Linux Mint.
It flies! Boot time is about 15 seconds (that includes me signing in) & guess what I'm finding that I'm using this more than my Windows 10 machine (there are very few applications that I *must* have from my Win PC - there's always Wine).
I'm now looking to turn my Lenovo into dual boot (slight problems there as I need to investigate UEFI technology & what I need to do in the dual boot scenario) & I'm beginning to think that I'm getting close to dropping Windows altogether - big wrench having grown up in my IT career from the days of DOS, OS/2 & then the big DOS application that was 16 bit Windows.
Bit of a severe solution but if you just want to get on with using *your* PC consider a Linux distro.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-May-16 08:10:59
Print Post

BBC are covering news on this today.

Is it possible that is what happened?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 25-May-16 08:28:50
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It may well be the case, if that was triggered after the PC was placed in hibernate on Friday evening. There are background processes which will being it out of hibernate and that may be one. It was not looked at or seen again until Sunday Morning when the enforced action was completed.

My objection is not to Win10 but the way nasty underhand way that MS are doing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-May-16 10:38:45
Print Post

It may well be the case, if that was triggered after the PC was placed in hibernate on Friday evening. There are background processes which will being it out of hibernate and that may be one. It was not looked at or seen again until Sunday Morning when the enforced action was completed.

My objection is not to Win10 but the way nasty underhand way that MS are doing it.

My objection is to both to be honest,k the way Ms is forcing people to download and install windows 10 is way out of line.
Once Windows 10 is installed they carry on being idiots and forcing people to download updates, trying to get people to use their cloud service, certainly when you install ten from a clean install, hiding customisations text and the part that says I do not want a MS account.

The constant monitoring with their telemetrics, which they tried to put onto my Windows 8 machine. The we know what drivers are best for your hardware so we will replace the drivers you have, for ones that do not work, like on my sound card.
Oh no you can't use Canon own drivers for your printer, you must use ours.

The awful start menu, but that part is easy to sort.
Cortana, which is a waste of space, universal apps, which are dumb down, and difficult to get rid of as a lot of the built in stuff like the humble calculator is now a universal app.

The look of windows 10 itself is awful and it seems like it is unfinished, which it is as it is now a service, so Ms can do what they like when they like and say it is part of the service.
If I did not need windows for Video editing I would go to Linux full time.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to