Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-May-16 22:49:25
Print Post

Re: Microsoft playing nasty

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Have a look at https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-May-16 06:31:36
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

I used that yesterday on our Church office Win 7 PC which was about to upgrade itself. So far so good.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User derekdel
(member) Mon 30-May-16 20:04:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That is a bit underhand of MS doing that! If they can bring a pc out of hibernation to instal an update, especially one of this size, what else can they do without prior approval?

I get a notification everyday when I boot up the win7 Pc and generally hit the X to get rid of it. Lately I have been putting the Pc into hibernation for speed and conviencence so I will be watching for that one!

I have noticed a few quirks with win10 in regards to finding networks [laptop] and printers a few times but nothing drastic.

Line 1u BQM
Line 2p BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-May-16 21:32:02
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

Not sure how they can bring a computer out of hibernation unless they keep some software running in ram. I know Windows 8.1 do not really close as default and still have stuff in a hibernation file, which is how it starts up so quick, but as far as I know the memory is empty.

Windows 7 never really have that mode, you have to put the computer into hibernation.

sleep mode is a different thing, that is when the machine rams is still kept alive, i know when my computer is in sleep mode as the power light keeps flashing, not that I put it in that mode very often and even when I am done using the computer, I switch it off at the mains and i have turned off the fast start up on Windows 8.

i just don't like windows 10 simple as that really, I tried it and did not like, never mind about the spying and other rubbish, I just do not like the UI.
I also do not see any advantage over 8.1 for me.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 31-May-16 12:10:01
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

I happily used sleep mode for years on my last PC (non-SSD drive). Just disabled all wake on LAN features in BIOS and Windows, and disabled hibernate completely.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/f/4412420-s...

With current PC (SSD), I shut down, as the boot up is 10-20 seconds.

Anyway, there's a registry fix - http://superuser.com/questions/357033/windows-update...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Jun-16 21:11:52
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

More dirty tricks, seems like MS are orcing people to update or reschedule, but cut out the cancel part. Article from the register here.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to