Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jul-16 21:56:30
Print Post

Re: Outlook under Win 10

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Win 10 does not affect the operation of Outlook 2010 in any way.

You are confused! GMail & Outlook 2010 are 2 different beasts (tho' both connected with eMail). GMail is an email service providing email addys, the storage of emails & access to those emails. Outlook 2010 is an email client, a program residing on your PC that reads & sends emails from your email service, like GMail. Outlook 2010 will run on all modern Windows versions unaffected.

I believe, and has been already picked up, you are actually talking about Outlook.com (used to be Hotmail etc.) which is not a program on your PC but yet another email service like GMail. It bears no relation to Outlook 2010, other than its (confusing) naming by MS lifting its name from 1 thing to name something completely different.

You have, however, been hijjacked by Win 10 into using by default its grotty Mail app instead of your familiar Outlook 2010.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 15-Jul-16 22:03:50)

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sat 16-Jul-16 19:37:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Just a brief one - I've been quite happy using Windows Live Mail 2012 on Win 10: no issues for me.
Standard User spranglebolt
(committed) Sat 16-Jul-16 21:37:26
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

I'm grateful to all. Can now see that what I thought was Outlook was actually Mail. Can happily report that I have now managed to create a separate tile and can get directly into Outlook (new format). But, as mentioned, it is patently clear that numerous others have had a similar prob.

Interesting also that lelboy is still able to use Livemail 2012. According to my usually reliable mag, on 30/06 MS moved the goalposts on that so it could no longer be used to access Outlook, Hotmail, MSN etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sun 17-Jul-16 13:42:30
Print Post

Yes. Live still works fine - I even get messages forwarded to me from Hotmail & Outlook accounts that I use for other things.
I just downloaded the entire "Live Package", when I upgraded to win 10 - and selected "Mail", as that is all I choose to use.
Glad you're sorted, though. Cheers, Les
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Jul-16 14:41:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
Interesting also that lelboy is still able to use Livemail 2012. According to my usually reliable mag, on 30/06 MS moved the goalposts on that so it could no longer be used to access Outlook, Hotmail, MSN etc.

There's a lot of confusion about that issue. Whilst it is no longer possible for Windows Live Mail to synch contacts and calendar entries with Outlook.com accounts, it is still perfectly possible to synch mail with them when manually configured to use POP3 or IMAP.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to