Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Aug-16 09:08:26
Print Post

Re: LastPass on Edge

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

i do not have to have any account to get extensions for Chrome or Firefox, I just pop onto their site, click onto the extension I require and it installs. With Edge you need an MS account to get extensions. At the moment as far as i know you can still keep your computer on a local account and acess the store, but how long will that stay for? Give it time and Ms will require you to have your computer linked up a MS account permanently to acess the store.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Aug-16 11:15:17
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

As you say, you can still sign into the Microsoft Store whilst remaining on a local account.

We can only speculate what the future might be. I don't find cloud based accounts as threatening as you clearly do, though it is certainly true that Microsoft try their best to move people onto connecting their Windows account to their Microsoft account.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Aug-16 12:39:48
Print Post

Yes you can sign on to the store on a local account, but you still need a MS account to get the extensions, not sure if you can get them while on a local account.

We know what the future is, certainly in operating systems like Windows, Microsoft have already showed us how they want to do things with Windows 10. they want us to be connected to their services every time we turn on our computer or tablet. Look at the way Ms is pushing their cloud system, the way they are sending data back from Windows 10, which is why I will not install windows 10.

You say you do not find cloud based accounts threatening, well maybe you should, it is all about getting to know more about us, selling more and more of our data and taking more of our privacy away.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User spranglebolt
(committed) Tue 23-Aug-16 13:37:39
Print Post

David & Tiny
Yep for new apps I completely take your point. But here we have a splendid app which had already been used happily and safely by hundreds of thousands, including me, for yonks. Further, before I upgraded an online MS check reported that all my HW and SW was OK and, as far as I know, are still telling punters that 'everything is the same'. It wasn't until I tried to use LastPass through Edge that it became apparent that, as you guys have recorded here, it would be necessary to jump through a few hoops.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Aug-16 13:39:50
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Also monetising everything we use the computer for.

Once all data is in the cloud, free space will be a gonner. Put the apps up there as well instead of programs on our machines and that's "job done". Permanent high margin app and space rentals.

And what then when our internet connection or a random server somewhere falls over?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Aug-16 15:49:37
Print Post

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
But here we have a splendid app which had already been used happily and safely by hundreds of thousands, including me, for yonks.
No.

No-one had used a LastPass extension for Edge before now.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Standard User spranglebolt
(committed) Tue 23-Aug-16 18:24:15
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Precisely my point. If it worked perfectly satisfactorily and safely before the halcyon days of Win 10, why does this specific app need to be accessed through an extension now?
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Aug-16 19:12:55
Print Post

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

LastPass has always been provided as an extension for web browsers. But it has never been done for Edge before now.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to