Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Sep-16 20:46:22
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 Version 1607 (KB3176934) availability?

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Eventually I did a manual download & upgrade (?).

Didn't have too many problems until it re-started & it immediately de-installed my "Classic-Shell" stating that it was not compatible (no pre-warning before upgrading) - despite the fact that I had already upgraded my Classic-Shell to a Win-10 Anniversary compatible version!!!

I re-downloaded & installed Classic-Shell, but it took ages & ages to function properly (kept stating it was still organising, or something like that)!

It eventually settled down & is now fully working!

Regards,
John
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Sep-16 22:52:23
Print Post

Yes, it looks like every time 1 of these major updates comes along we will have to reinstall Classic Shell, even tho' it is compatible with Win 10. Same thing happened on upgrade from Win 8.1 to 10.

Report MS to EU for anti-competitive practices!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Sep-16 10:28:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Yes, it looks like every time 1 of these major updates comes along we will have to reinstall Classic Shell, even tho' it is compatible with Win 10. Same thing happened on upgrade from Win 8.1 to 10.

The sometimes forced uninstallations are an attempt to prevent incompatible software being left installed. Sometimes compatible versions are not released until the blacklist of software to be uninstalled has been finalised, resulting in compatible versions falling foul of the blacklist and being uninstalled.

It is probably best to accept that some software will have to be reinstalled after one of these updates. I do not believe there are grounds to conclude that Microsoft are singling out Classic Shell.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Sep-16 05:53:42
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

So let the user discover that HIS software is incompatible with Windows and take what action HE decides. It's a [censored] cheek! MS being a nanny state!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-16 10:01:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The user will not be happy if the result of the upgrade is unbootable or totally unusable. It is better, on balance, for the user to be forced to seek out and install compatible versions, even though the cost is that sometimes a nuisance uninstall of compatible software takes place.

If you keep copies of installers and serial numbers to hand, it doesn't take long to reinstall one or two programs.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Sep-16 22:35:26
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
It is probably best to accept that some software will have to be reinstalled after one of these updates. I do not believe there are grounds to conclude that Microsoft are singling out Classic Shell.

Yes & No!!

As far as I could tell, MS handled the "Anniversary" version update in the same way as they handled the initial update to Win-10 - as an install of a brand-new version (rather than a simple update).

When they did the Win-10 update they checked ALL existing non-MS Software & advised if they considered there to be problems - hence it becomes MY decision whether to proceed or not!

In this case, I was NOT given any warning, just a "tough-we-have-deleted-it" attitude!!

Fortunately, in my case, it was an "irritant" & NOT a "problem" - but I could envisage the possibility that a critical bit of software could have been arbitrarily deleted, hence preventing the user getting at some critical data!

Regards,
John
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 09-Sep-16 23:57:14
Print Post

I'm currently running with my HP 3-in-1 screwed up. Printing from the web wirelessly through my router the header and footer system-inserted lines are fine. The content is so faint as to be completely unreadable and colour is absent frown.

All was fine on 8.1 and the original upgrade to Win 10.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to