Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Sep-16 16:56:53
Print Post

Re: Win 10 high idle cpu after update

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

[baffled]
Do you mean it is useless compared to the Resource Monitor, which I have always found much less useful, or you really think it has changed?

It's always been much the same, barring what I just commented on, though I think it was in Win 8 it got a kicking and started with the current fairly useless defaults.

Ideal for what Tim wanted I would have thought.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 03-Sep-16 17:09:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I had to use the resource monitor to track down a system CPU usage problem in Windows 7 (caused by an infamous bug in the Windows update service). With the task manager, the only thing that I could see was that svchost.exe was hogging the CPU. It didn't show me what process (service) was causing the problem. Maybe I didn't know how to make full use of the task manager in Windows 7. The task manager in Windows 10 seems to be a lot more usable (I have never used Windows 8 or 8.1).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Sep-16 17:30:23
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Yes, svhost was the pig I couldn't remember the name of when I said "SVs". I agree they were a pain in the butt, as it was almost impossible to find out what they were servicing. IIRC they were still present in 8 and 8.1, but seem to have gone now. They must be showing the service/program and its wrapper (I hope) in Win 10.

There were cases where because of them Resource Manager was the only way forward, I agree.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-16 17:35:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
IIRC they were still present in 8 and 8.1, but seem to have gone now. They must be showing the service/program and its wrapper (I hope) in Win 10.

Yes, they renamed svchost.exe in Task Manager to "Service Host", and made expandable so you can see what services it hosts. A big improvement on Windows 7 (not sure about 8.1).

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Sep-16 17:44:40
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Hang on !!!!!

I seem to remember seeing that Name, but just reloaded TM and it isn't there, but 17 svhosts are. I'm sure they haven't been on previous visits.

????

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-16 17:52:43
Print Post

I seem to remember seeing that Name, but just reloaded TM and it isn't there, but 17 svhosts are. I'm sure they haven't been on previous visits.

That's odd, you should see several of these:

Service Host: <Host type>

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Sep-16 18:15:40
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

We'll see what happens next time I reboot. Not right now though. Very weird. I'll swear it was there when I replied to Mick.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 03-Sep-16 18:16:50)

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 03-Sep-16 18:29:33
Print Post

We'll see what happens next time I reboot. Not right now though. Very weird. I'll swear it was there when I replied to Mick.
Replying to my posts has been known to cause strange time-causality loops. wink
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 03-Sep-16 19:32:54
Print Post

They're listed under Windows Processes
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-16 20:47:15
Print Post

Unfortunately prey isnt listed in TM it comes under System which isnt expandable so a bit of a guessing game. I knew the Kernel had been updated the last few days and prey hooks into the kernel so process of elimination.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to