Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-16 19:28:21
Print Post

Windows Updates are changing

[link to this post]

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/201...

From next month. So instead of single updates we can decline, they will be bundled into 1 installer package that we cant say no to without declining the rest. I can see MS offering Windows 10 free again and bundling some updater inside their big monthly updates
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 21:28:23
Print Post

Re: Windows Updates are changing

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

i have solved the problem, i will not allow Windows 8.1 to update anymore. Problem solved.
No doubt MS will install telemetric this way to people like myself who have stopped it being installed.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 06:48:11
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I do wonder how secure 7 and 8 would be without updating ever again. Seems we only get a handful of security fixes each month anyway, and providing you dont click or dodgy links, visit dodgy websites etc you're probably ok to never update again?

7 and 8 been out long enough for the major flaws to be fixed already

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-16 08:20:39
Print Post

Windows 8 and certainly Windows 7 will not have any new features added, not that I want any added for Windows 8.1, it does the job I need of it.

Windows 7 update is broke anyway, I had to sort out a laptop thjat had Windows 7 on it, reinstalled Windows 7 and it will not update, I hae tried downloading different patches first and installing them from MS, which people have said will start the update process and it still will not update, so maybe this new update system will do the job for it. Not my laptop, so all I want to do is get it updated.

MS is getting worse, they are taking more and more user control away from windows, one of the reasons I will not go to windows 10.,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 09:06:37
Print Post

The July update for the Windows Update installer is meant to fix long scanning times.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3172605

Make sure you have that installed. Alot say it works

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 15-Sep-16 09:07:42)

Standard User BB4Tickton
(committed) Thu 15-Sep-16 12:17:16
Print Post

I had a similar problem with a fresh install of Windows 7, just would not update after leaving for 24 hours!
I also tried all the supposed fixes suggested, but nothing worked.

What fixed it was to use WSUS offline updater:
WSUS
Basically it downloads all the files, then you run the separate installer
After all the installation of all files, the Windows Update started working again.

You can then keep all the files for the next time you re-install.

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Windows 8 and certainly Windows 7 will not have any new features added, not that I want any added for Windows 8.1, it does the job I need of it.

Windows 7 update is broke anyway, I had to sort out a laptop thjat had Windows 7 on it, reinstalled Windows 7 and it will not update, I hae tried downloading different patches first and installing them from MS, which people have said will start the update process and it still will not update, so maybe this new update system will do the job for it. Not my laptop, so all I want to do is get it updated.

MS is getting worse, they are taking more and more user control away from windows, one of the reasons I will not go to windows 10.,
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 12:22:18
Print Post

[re: BB4Tickton] [link to this post]

The fix that apparently does work needs another non related KB to work. So it could be you never were offered the update because you didn't have the prerequisite KB.

By doing it offline you were offered all updates and im guessing the fix was in this
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-16 08:06:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by BB4Tickton:
I had a similar problem with a fresh install of Windows 7, just would not update after leaving for 24 hours!
I also tried all the supposed fixes suggested, but nothing worked.

What fixed it was to use WSUS offline updater:
WSUS
Basically it downloads all the files, then you run the separate installer
After all the installation of all files, the Windows Update started working again.

You can then keep all the files for the next time you re-install.

thanks for that, I tried it, but for some reason it just gets stuck and seems to hang when installing, I left it for a few hours and it just seems to hang on the second KB.

I am downloading it again using my computer and see if that will do the job, maybe something got corrupted.

Thanks again.

i think this is MS way of getting people to go to Windows 10

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-16 13:23:52
Print Post

Same for me, 24 hours of 100% CPU with no disk activity when Windows Updates checked for updates on a fresh installation of Vista (for testing purposes within a VM).

This page contained the fix which worked for me: http://wu.krelay.de/en/

The WSUS Offline Update application automatically installs these files too.

Oliver.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Sep-16 17:02:58
Print Post

Did you disable automatic updates before using WSUS? Apparently manually installing files wont work unless automatic updates is disabled
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Sep-16 21:32:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Did you disable automatic updates before using WSUS? Apparently manually installing files wont work unless automatic updates is disabled

I never thought of that, thanks for that, it is now updating, hopefully I can give the owner back their machine by the end of the week.

Thanks once again

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-16 16:32:23
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Windows Vista and 7 have always been known for having dodgy updating. As in a update can break them or cause issues or not install for almost no reason. I don't know about Vista never used it but some people have had luck by turning off windows 7s own firewall. If only just for the update and then you can turn it back on if you want. That has for an unknown reason fixed some updates from failing to install.

Windows 8.1 doesn't seem to mess up with Windows updates in my experience so there is a improvement there. It is the same for Windows 10, they may force updates on us but they rarely seem to go wrong or cause issues.

Microsoft are getting worse in some ways. At same time tho Windows update has become more reliable in last two os's.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Sep-16 19:04:15
Print Post

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

I never had any issues with Windows Update on Vista and 7 when I was using them as my primary OS.

There does however seem to be issues between kernel-mode drivers released within the last year and the older Windows Update version used by Vista, which causes the update process to hang. Manually installing updates containing these drivers prevents Vista from stalling on them.

I think Microsoft fixed this in Windows Update on 7, but perhaps Vista won't be so lucky with only 6 months left of support.

Oliver.
Standard User BB4Tickton
(experienced) Thu 22-Sep-16 08:23:26
Print Post

Sorry for not replying sooner, still on holiday.

If I remember correctly, I think I had a similar problem as it appeared to be stuck. If there is no hard disk activity, shutdown and reboot, then rerun the install again and it will continue from where it left off. I'm sure this happened a few times before the auto reboot started working.

Hope this helps.

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Same for me, 24 hours of 100% CPU with no disk activity when Windows Updates checked for updates on a fresh installation of Vista (for testing purposes within a VM).

This page contained the fix which worked for me: http://wu.krelay.de/en/

The WSUS Offline Update application automatically installs these files too.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Sep-16 11:23:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by BB4Tickton:
If there is no hard disk activity, shutdown and reboot, then rerun the install again and it will continue from where it left off. I'm sure this happened a few times before the auto reboot started working.

I tried that too, but no luck. I just found a helpful video which explains the fix word for word: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HBBuBbf4Ws

Oliver.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 28-Sep-16 01:55:46
Print Post

its worth pointing out the patches are still been made individually but just wont be distributed in that way on windows update.

There is 3rd party tools to help manage updating without using WU, I recommend komms update checker.

You can also do things like skip win X updates, skip telemetry updates and so forth.

I also use komms update checker to make install iso's that have updates integrated.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 28-Sep-16 01:56:32)

Standard User Ryan_Stevens
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 12:00:47
Print Post

Re: Windows Updates are changing *DELETED*

Post deleted by Ryan_Stevens
Standard User Ryan_Stevens
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 12:02:23
Print Post

I tried that too, but no luck. I just found a helpful video which explains the fix word for word: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HBBuBbf4Ws

@Oliver341 the link you share did you try it and did it work perfectly?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 13:09:23
Print Post

[re: Ryan_Stevens] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ryan_Stevens:
@Oliver341 the link you share did you try it and did it work perfectly?

Yes, it still works for me with my Vista VM, it's fully up to date as of April 2017. After manually applying the updates it may still take a while to finish checking for updates, but mine still completed in under an hour.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to