Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-May-17 16:07:29
Print Post

Re: What's the URL of the latest Windows Update website?

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I still don't believe that most of those big organisations had their firewalls configured to allow SMB traffic in bound from random Internet addresses.

I agree, it more likely came in via email or an internet download. Even the most incompetant organizations generally have inbound SMB blocked off. In fact often the more incompetant IT departments the most restrive inbound stuff is which makes the sysadmins life a pain in the [censored].

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 21-May-17 16:10:10)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-May-17 09:07:51
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Yes, default firewall rule in most organisations is allow all outgoing but block all incoming.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-May-17 12:03:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Just to get back to normality for a moment, and the original question I posed concerning this topic, I've been in touch with the NCSC (National Computer Security Centre) this last week and, today, Tues 23rd, they've confirmed that lots of home users have been contacting them to say that the emergency one-off WinXP patch(es) issued by Microsoft for this piece of malware does not install. It appears that, in the posting of it online, there was a mixup between different versions of the patch. The NCSC has been in touch with Microsoft to point this out. Some users have also contacted Microsoft about it, but as I'm sure you'll appreciate it's not that easy actually getting through directly to Microsoft. And as with many forums these days - including those dedicated to other platforms - OS problems merely get discussed by the users and rarely reach the eyes and ears of those that matter, namely the software developers.

Edited by meditator (Tue 23-May-17 12:05:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-May-17 13:31:58
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

I've just tested the XP SP3 patch download at: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/...

Namely: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/csa/csa/secu/201...

It successfully installed in a XP SP3 VM. Maybe they resolved it?

Oliver.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-May-17 16:29:55
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Which XP SP3 patch at blogs.technet? There are two there, alone, for WinXP SP3. And at Microsoft's catalog site, there are about six different versions of XP to choose from. This exemplies the problem - everyone's talking about "a fix for WinXP", but are failing to indicate precisely which file goes with which version of XP. They don't all use a common patch file; there are some differences. Consequently, there's been understandable suspicion and loss of confidence in postings of the official patch for WinXP.

According to NCSC, most of the complainants are users of the Home Edition of WinXP x86, who have SP3 post-applied. I guess this is what's regarded as the 'non-embedded SP3' version of XP. And yet, there are reports that the patch provided won't install.

Edited by meditator (Tue 23-May-17 16:33:37)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-May-17 16:54:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
Which XP SP3 patch at blogs.technet?

I downloaded and installed the patch for "Windows XP SP3 x86" (NOT the embedded version) successfully into my XP SP3 VM. Like I say, maybe there was a previous version which didn't work, but all I can say is that it worked fine for me.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-May-17 23:21:15
Print Post

+1

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-May-17 23:50:39
Print Post

Even though you and one or two others in this TBB discussion may very well have managed to now pick the correct file, possibly a good many ordinary WinXP users won't now bother with it, having lost confidence in Microsoft's ability to provide a trustworthy correcting file.

It's simply not good enough to say that 'Windows XP SP3 x86 non-embedded' is the appropriate file to use, without you also naming the patch file that goes with that, as there's not just one, single patchfile. They go by different names. The same clarification needs to apply to the other five or six versions of WinXP as well.

Normally, when we do file downloads of any kind we put our trust in the supplier that the name of the file matches its precise function. For an organisation like Microsoft to have (apparently) mixed up the WinXP versions with the different filenames, in a situation where widespread alarm has been caused by the malware for which the patch(es) is required, is pretty bad form, in my view.

Edited by meditator (Tue 23-May-17 23:57:40)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-May-17 13:03:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
It's simply not good enough to say that 'Windows XP SP3 x86 non-embedded' is the appropriate file to use, without you also naming the patch file that goes with that, as there's not just one, single patchfile.

I gave you the link earlier. The filename is windowsxp-kb4012598-x86-custom-enu_eceb7d5023bbb23c0dc633e46b9c2f14fa6ee9dd.exe

Oliver.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Jun-17 20:37:25
Print Post

Interesting tweet on twitter by Adlice Software showed their honeypot unpatched machine was infected with WannaCry within 20 mins. You should really patch that XP machine.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 69892/17901
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to