Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Jun-17 14:19:53
Print Post

Re: Explorer Listings

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

My method should work for XP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 17:39:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
but navigating up and down, especially with long directory names, can be a pain.
As long as it's unique at the current folder level, you can always abbreviate folder names, e.g to get to, say, "C:\Users\XRaySpeX\Documents\Kindle Backup\Documents\Mankell, Henning" you could:
  • CD C:\Users\XRay*
  • CD Docu*
  • CD Kind*
  • CD Docu*
  • CD Mank*
or all together:
CD C:\Users\XRay*\Docu*\Kind*\Docu*\Mank*

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 17:49:53
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
In Windows 10 explorer under the File menu there appears to be an option to open a command prompt
No longer in the Creator Edition. They've removed that and left just an option to open a Powershell. Grrr!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Jun-17 18:17:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The command works just as well in powershell.

==================================
Sovereignty really does mean sovereignty
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Jun-17 18:32:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by ian72:
In Windows 10 explorer under the File menu there appears to be an option to open a command prompt
No longer in the Creator Edition. They've removed that and left just an option to open a Powershell. Grrr!
If I right-click on the Windows icon in the system tray mine is showing two Command Prompt options. One "Command Prompt" that takes me C:\Users\Bob and one "Command Prompt (Admin)" that takes me to C:\WINDOWS\system32.

But I already have an icon in the system tray that is one of the first things I add to it on a new machine.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-Jun-17 18:33:36)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 18:43:09
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

That may, but some I tried didn't frown

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 18:50:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What Windows icon in the System Tray? I don't have 1. Do you mean a Command Prompt icon in the Task Bar?

What is it that you add to a new PC?

What you describe still doesn't take you to a place you've drilled down to in Explorer.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 05-Jun-17 18:53:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Jun-17 19:10:53
Print Post

Yes I mean the task bar, and I mean the Windows icon at the extreme left.

Have you read the batch file solution I gave the OP? That works and is dead simple. You use File Explorer or Windows Explorer depending on how old the version is, navigate to the required folder that you want a listing, copy the batch file into that folder from wherever you saved it, and click on it once inside the folder.

Job done. I ran it a few times to test it with different parameters in the DIR command.

Edit: and yes, I add a Command Prompt icon to the Task Bar on all new machines, but that is irrelevant to the OP. Only to your concern about this Powershell which I have never used.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-Jun-17 19:12:56)

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Mon 05-Jun-17 19:24:32
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Have you tried using the tab key to autocomplete directories/file names?

In my home folder I have a folder named "3d Objects" (note the space)

To change to that directory I would type

cd 3<tab>

and the folder name would be autocompleted.

The file/folder doesn't need to have a space to use this method.

Edited by IanBB (Mon 05-Jun-17 19:26:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Jun-17 19:37:11
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

But he doesn't want to use the command prompt. That means a lot of scrolling up and down the command window to find the exact name of the next level down that he wants.

Even when you've altered the command window settings to open with a decent sized window.

He just wants to navigate in File/Windows Explorer and get a contents listing into a text editor.
Is there an easy way to take file list in Windows Explorer straight into text or document file? For both Win10 and WinXP.

I can do it using a command (CMD) window with Dir > filelist.txt but navigating up and down, especially with long directory names, can be a pain.
It's dead easy! As I have posted twice now.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-Jun-17 19:37:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to