Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Aug-18 06:55:11
Print Post

Windows app accessing the net

[link to this post]

I have simple wall installed on my computer to try and cut down the content data that is sent to MS, but I have noticed that apps I do not even use seems to want to connect, MS store comes up as trying to connect, mail and calendar even the photo app.
Why do these apps want to connect when they are not even in use?

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered and back to windows 8.1, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 20-Aug-18 11:47:14
Print Post

Re: Windows app accessing the net

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

MS policy. All people get all updates to everything. Users get no choice to review value of update (e.g. unneeded program, worse driver etc). MS decides when the update occurs, and not you. If you don't like it, you can't exactly pick some other version of Windows, as all of them are either telling you to update to Win 10, or are out of support very soon.

Bloatware, malware and ransomware. 3 for 1 offer.

Steam is similar. You can't play a decent range of titles without Steam. You have to have 3rd party software installed on your system permanently. Most of the time you also have to have net connection to Steam servers to play.

(Also being supported by major motherboard and gfx card manufacturers)

Welcome to the world where software companies fought back against greedy kids who wouldn't pay for software.
Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Aug-18 11:13:08
Print Post

Re: Windows app accessing the net

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

There was a workaround if you have the home (I'm assuming it still works). You have to tell porkies to your computer and microsoft and use settings to record you have a metered connection to the internet. This will stop some automatic updates.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/windows/two-...

Edit to add link

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.

Edited by Mikey2 (Tue 21-Aug-18 11:15:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to