Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JHo1
(member) Mon 14-Jan-19 21:45:19
Print Post

BT software on pc

[link to this post]

I am on holiday in a cottage with BT internet. My phone works fine but I have brought a lap top with me and that is a battle every time I try to use it. Any web site I try to get to is likely to be intercepted and an invitation (instruction?) to install some BT software pops up in it's place. I'm also getting a lot of refusals to connect from the router whereas the phone connection to the router is rock solid. BT still play their silly game of loading software onto your pc? Is there any way around this? Curiosity more than anything, I'm not letting anything on for the sake of just a few days but it's useful information if ever I should be tempted by BT.

John
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jan-19 22:04:00
Print Post

Re: BT software on pc

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

I'm with BT and don't need to install any software on any device. Are you sure that you are connecting to the right network (note that BT routers supply a private network and a public one - you want the private one)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not to his own facts.
Standard User JHo1
(member) Tue 15-Jan-19 09:19:52
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

I'm definitely using the right one. There are only two, as you say, one public, one private. The private one requires a pw, The public one (I tried in frustration) offers me the opportunity to pay for access.

I did, eventually, hit a screen which offered some sort of "don't ask again" option and (fingers crossed) it seems ok now. It was entirely hit and miss getting there though. I thought maybe BT still insisted on putting software onto your pc. I've not been with them since the days when they used modems rather than routers and they did back then.

Thanks,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Jan-19 11:31:14
Print Post

Yes, they needed the s/ware back then to drive the modems. No such s/ware is needed for routers.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Jan-19 16:58:38
Print Post

Holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Jan-19 08:30:50
Print Post

Most likely what you are seeing is the ‘launch’ page which displays to new connections from the router when connecting with some devices ....
Just press ‘no thanks’, then continue, then there should be a small red arrow on the top right of the next screen, this will load a BT page, exit that, and you are sorted, won’t happen again ....

It’s not forcing you to load anything, just showing links to apps and the like that are part of the package, BT Smart Talk, BT Sport, etc.

Standard User JHo1
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 15:46:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Z. I've actually given up on it and I'm using my phone as a wifi hotspot. Mobile is coming in at 22Mbps v 18 for wired and I have to use the extra 2Gb allowance I have this month somehow, courtesy of the Dec O2 outage which I never even noticed smile

The wired connection is just all over the place in it's behaviour, no consistency at all. I did find a "go away and don't ask again" button and I thought I'd cracked it but the next time I fired the laptop up it did connect but response was so slow I was getting timeouts.

It's quite common to find BT in holiday cottages and I've never had this carry on before so I'll just write it off as a one off.

Thanks,
John
  Print Thread

Jump to