Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-19 18:24:59
Print Post

Has anyone else had the following message - Windows 10?

[link to this post]

This is part of the message appearing in a box, which covers the centre part of the screen
Firewall has defined that your Windows Microsoft system is damaged and irrelevant. As a result, your system files are automatically deleted.
on my Windows 10 laptop. (Latest Build)

I've scanned the system with Sophos AntiVirus, HitmanPro and Malwarebytes and it comes up clean. The Pop-up and any other associated windows can usually be closed down without issue.

Looking on the Net It is suggested to be due to a DNS issue and changing your ISP might solve it. Apparently Microsoft have been looking into it.

I've had a quick search on these forums and apologies if it's already been discussed.

Has anyone elase come across it or have information how to stop it? Thanks.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 23-May-19 18:25:47)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-May-19 19:51:02
Print Post

Re: Has anyone else had the following message - Windows 10?

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

"Irrelevant" is a peculiar way to describe an OS which would better named by MS as "Microsoft Windows". The illiterates! It's a scam! See Win Erx03 | Norton Community. Check your browser add-ons.

You don't need to change ISP to change DNS. You can do it yourself in your router settings. Another fairy story!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-19 22:50:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Absolutely I know it's a scam, but I'm interested as to why my system sees this popup normally when I have a webpage open, that a number of well respected anti/malware/virus utilities cannot find, as many have said too.

I did actually see the "Erx03" issue written about when I searched about this and just glanced over it. I will though now give that a read too smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-May-19 23:04:55
Print Post

Looking further into this I think it is caused by a rogue advert at some site(s) putting up a fake pop-up wanting you to d/load some system cleaner. Many ads, like Google ads, are propagated onto many sites,

So, it is not something on your PC & the usually reliable MalwareBytes & suchlike draw a blank.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-19 23:31:51
Print Post

The odd thing I'm finding is that often on the webpage it brings up under the announcement box is an advertisment for the ReImage Software product. It does this every so 3-5 days and sometimes a click to close the windows works with no issue. Other times it will produce a loud audio tone around 1khz and then closing it will take using task manager or a reboot.

I'll admit I don't know how the whole online advertisment system works other than aware of some of the big companies involved.

The articles about this online and I believe one UK newspaper that covered this story early this year suggested that it was BT customers that were effected in the UK. Many of the stories starting late 2018 in the states were putting it down to certain ISP's over there. Of course that could be just a red herring.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 23-May-19 23:40:35)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-May-19 00:01:12
Print Post

Loud noise smells of Scam virus warning advert leading to avanquest “Onesafe” affiliate software.

Who is your ISP?

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 24-May-19 00:02:22)

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-May-19 00:18:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Loud noise smells of Scam virus warning advert leading to avanquest “Onesafe” affiliate software.

Who is your ISP?

PlusNet
  Print Thread

Jump to