Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Tue 28-May-19 20:49:02
Print Post

vanishing pointer in Chrome

[link to this post]

Hi, for unknown reason the pointer on my laptop with win 10 vanishes in Chrome browser only. I have to use the touch screen instead. Some solutions offered on the web, only work temporarily. Any ideas for an explanation or a solution. I have posted this issue on Tech section, alas no solution offered.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-May-19 01:04:48
Print Post

Re: vanishing pointer in Chrome

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Edge does it as well.

Plugging a mouse into a USB port works, which I do in order to get out cleanly. Also, if you want to know where it is currently pointing, click the CTRL key.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User samulam
(committed) Wed 29-May-19 08:34:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi, pressing Ctrl key does not work on my laptop. The only place it is visible in Chrome is the task bar.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-May-19 09:16:17
Print Post

It just flashes up a circle for a second or so where the pointer should be showing. Try it when the pointer is showing, and it should be round the pointer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 29-May-19 09:17:10)

Standard User longedge
(committed) Wed 29-May-19 09:25:45
Print Post

Is it an OS or Application dependant problem? Does alt + tab to run through your open windows cause the pointer to appear when another window has focus? Does closing Chrome with alt + F4 when it has focus make the pointer re-appear or does the invisible pointer carry on after Chrome has closed?

p.s. I just had a look around and was surprised to see how long this has been a problem for Chrome users. Presumably you've tried the fix which involves disabling hardware acceleration for the mouse in Chrome advanced settings.

Edited by longedge (Wed 29-May-19 11:19:19)

Standard User samulam
(committed) Thu 30-May-19 08:44:08
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Hi,yes I tried the fix you mention, but it does not last.
Standard User ffox
(committed) Thu 30-May-19 09:16:49
Print Post

How to find your mouse cursor after you have lost it on Windows:

Open “Start Menu”.
Go to “Control Panel”.
Find “Mouse” and click on it. “Mouse Properties” should open.
Go to “Pointer Options” and check “Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key”:

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Technicolor TG582n , St Ives Cambs (EMSTIVE)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-May-19 09:24:55
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

That doesn’t bring the pointer back though. Plugging a USB mouse in does.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 30-May-19 10:14:51
Print Post

Do you normally use just the trackpad? Robertos' suggestion of plugging a USB mouse in made me wonder.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-May-19 13:01:21
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Just to add, I plug the mouse in when this happens so I can save anything I'm working on and close down cleanly before re-booting. (Unplugging the mouse before it starts to boot.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to