Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jay_Jay
(committed) Fri 15-May-20 16:06:50
Print Post

Keyboard Problem

[link to this post]

For some reason the Keyboard on one of my Computers has be transposing the " & the @ symbols.

This is usually a configuration problem involving Language and/or Region.

I've fully checked that out, but NOTHING in the Configuration has changed!

I thought it might be the actual Keyboard (Wireless - Logitech), hence I did try it with a Wired Keyboard - the Fault still persisted!

Ultimately, I tried a Windows Repair which stated "No Fault Found" - however it did clear the problem for a few days. Unfortunately, the problem returned (subsequent Windows Repairs did nothing)!

Couldn't find anything to resolve it until I installed the Latest Windows Updates, a few days ago - which cleared it!!

Today the Problem has come back!!

The strange thing is that my Windows Login Password uses one of those symbols &, when Logging in, the Keyboard ALWAYS works correctly. It is ONLY when Logged in does the Problem occur!!

Anybody any ideas??
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-May-20 16:27:15
Print Post

Re: Keyboard Problem

[re: Jay_Jay] [link to this post]

It sounds as if you have both US and UK input languages defined in your user profile. Do you get a button in the taskbar that says ENG US (or ENG UK)? - if so you can switch layouts by clicking on it. Alternatively <Shift>-<Ctrl> or <Shift>-<Alt> should bring up the same change dialog.

To get rid of the US input language altogether, go to "Settings/Time and Language/Language"scroll down to "Preferred languages", click on "English (United States)" and select the "Remove" option. This should leave just "English (United Kingdom)" thus solving the problem permanently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Standard User Jay_Jay
(committed) Fri 15-May-20 18:15:37
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
It sounds as if you have both US and UK input languages defined in your user profile. Do you get a button in the taskbar that says ENG US (or ENG UK)? - if so you can switch layouts by clicking on it. Alternatively <Shift>-<Ctrl> or <Shift>-<Alt> should bring up the same change dialog.

To get rid of the US input language altogether, go to "Settings/Time and Language/Language"scroll down to "Preferred languages", click on "English (United States)" and select the "Remove" option. This should leave just "English (United Kingdom)" thus solving the problem permanently.

Had already checked that, but have just double-checked it again!

The only Language listed is English UK!

It is very frustrating!!

Just to add, I've had this PC for a few years & have obviously, at the appropriate time, upgraded it to Win-10 & then all the subsequent incarnations of Win-10 - hence it is on Ver 1909. Obviously, during all of that time, I've never had that problem before!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-May-20 18:34:12
Print Post

If you click "English (United Kingdom)" then Options, do you see this?

https://i.imgur.com/4ihRsre.png

Oliver.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 15-May-20 18:37:40
Print Post

If you are brave enough to play with Powershell or go poking round in the registry, TenForums have a tutorial on-line which helps identify the underlying location/language embedded in the system. It is available at https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/30656-see-system.... I have no connection with TenForums and can take no responsibility for the advice they offer.

There may be something there to help pin down exactly where the problem lies.
Standard User Jay_Jay
(committed) Fri 15-May-20 18:39:50
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
If you click "English (United Kingdom)" then Options, do you see this?

https://i.imgur.com/4ihRsre.png

Yes!
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-May-20 19:05:03
Print Post

I'm almost inclined to think that your computer might be infected with malware. Have you scanned it lately?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Standard User Jay_Jay
(committed) Fri 15-May-20 19:27:03
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I'm almost inclined to think that your computer might be infected with malware. Have you scanned it lately?

I hadn't!

However, I downloaded a fresh copy of MalwareBytes & ran it!

It did find a few! Cleaned it up & then I restarted the PC &, unfortunately, the problem still persists!
Standard User Jay_Jay
(committed) Fri 15-May-20 19:30:46
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Have gone through some of those checks & the Default Language has always been English UK.

Unfortunately, the examples given on the Forum are all assuming English US!

Equally, as we are aware, Microsoft is basically English US &, hence, some of the results refer to a fall-back Language of English US!

I'm going to run the same checks on my other PC (which is working correctly) to see if I can spot any differences!
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Fri 15-May-20 20:12:38
Print Post

I love your persistence and commend you for trying so hard.

If I struggle for over a week with any similar problem it's Format C: grin

The time you spend banging your head it's quicker to re-install and start again.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted Jay_Jay smile

BTBroadband
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-May-20 20:44:50
Print Post

Have you checked with Logitech for drivers? I have had a lot of Logitech stuff over the years while the hardware is great (I have a G11 keyboard for many years) their software leaves a lot to be desired.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC1200G+ and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User Jay_Jay
(committed) Fri 15-May-20 21:44:06
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Have you checked with Logitech for drivers? I have had a lot of Logitech stuff over the years while the hardware is great (I have a G11 keyboard for many years) their software leaves a lot to be desired.

Ran the latest Logitech Driver Checker & it confirms that they are up to date!
Note that I've also checked it with a non-Logitech Wired Keyboard & still have the problem!
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-May-20 21:48:24
Print Post

My last resort would be an in place upgrade to the same version. Download the ISO using the media creation tool, mount the ISO using right click and run setup to repair the complete system. The other option is a system reset but you will lose installed applications, in place upgrade just repairs the installation without changes.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC1200G+ and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to