Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Thu 28-May-20 21:57:58
Print Post

First time I've had to rollback an update.

[link to this post]

For a long time now, Windows updates have worked fine for me and I've become complacent. Went ahead and installed latest update. I should've done some reading first. What a nightmare, none of my 'go to' apps worked and for the first time I've given up and rolled back to Vers 1909.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-May-20 00:47:37
Print Post

Re: First time I've had to rollback an update.

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I've had no major problems on two desktops so far with 2004. I downloaded the ISO and did an inplace upgrade. Although I haven't checked all apps most seem to be working ok.

But my HP 250 G7 laptop wont have it. It gets to 30% reboots then blue screens and rolls back. I have been in touch with MS and sent logs which they have analysed and said it could be the Synaptics touchpad driver which was updated 16.03.20 by Windows Update. Tried reporting what MS said to HP to see if they could get the driver to play ball with 2004 but no response.

So my laptop is stuck on 1909 until MS or HP fix this issue. I shall be reading the article you linked to with interest.

Edit: Which of your apps don't run longedge?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC1200G+ and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM

Edited by Banger (Fri 29-May-20 00:59:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-May-20 02:21:51
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
I've had no major problems on two desktops so far with 2004. I downloaded the ISO and did an inplace upgrade. Although I haven't checked all apps most seem to be working ok.

But my HP 250 G7 laptop wont have it. It gets to 30% reboots then blue screens and rolls back. I have been in touch with MS and sent logs which they have analysed and said it could be the Synaptics touchpad driver which was updated 16.03.20 by Windows Update. Tried reporting what MS said to HP to see if they could get the driver to play ball with 2004 but no response.

So my laptop is stuck on 1909 until MS or HP fix this issue. I shall be reading the article you linked to with interest.

Ye gods 😋🤣.

With standard MS updating my Dell is still on 1903!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
====================================================
"They say travel broadens the mind; but you must have the mind." G K Chesterton

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 29-May-20 02:22:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 29-May-20 05:36:03
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:

Worst one and the decider for me was Cumulus which despite all my attempts wouldn't run. Displayed for a second then closed, none of the compatibilty options worked. PaintshopPro also wouldn't run and TBH then a bit of panic set in 🙂.

My webcam wouldn't work at all just as we'd got a family zoom meeting scheduled. I appeared as the live feed from my birdbox until I unplugged the USB video grabber which converts the camera feed and then my webcam worked.

There were just too many changes most of which I could probably have resolved but it was all too much of a shock, at least the rollback worked without a hitch.

Edited by longedge (Fri 29-May-20 05:44:59)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-May-20 07:10:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by longedge:
For a long time now, Windows updates have worked fine for me and I've become complacent. Went ahead and installed latest update. I should've done some reading first. What a nightmare, none of my 'go to' apps worked and for the first time I've given up and rolled back to Vers 1909.

Why update so quickly? You should know by now that these updates are as buggy as hell when they are first released.

Also, the best thing to do is to take an image of your computer using Macrium reflect or something like it before you update, then if all goes wrong you can restore the image, far better than rolling back, which can and have gone wrong.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 29-May-20 08:33:55
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Why update so quickly?

Indeed, mea culpa. My bad habit of being an early adopter. but it's also a long time since I was bitten like this.
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Also, the best thing to do is to take an image of your computer.

And I use Ashampoo Backup Pro for my weekly full system backup.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-May-20 14:07:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Personally dont see the need to update. None of the new features interest me, and with 1909 still being supported until next year i dont see the need

Out of interest is it easy to rollback?

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 30-May-20 14:08:25)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-May-20 14:11:18
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Out of interest is it easy to rollback?

Very easy. For the first 10 days post-update, there's a rollback button in Settings.

Oliver.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sat 30-May-20 15:09:02
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Install took my PC 4-5 hours and it took 2-3 minutes to rollback.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-May-20 18:43:27
Print Post

Also out of interest has anyone updated to 2004 and it's all gone ok?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to