Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-May-20 18:44:01
Print Post

Re: First time I've had to rollback an update.

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Yes two desktops.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC1200G+ and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User petsy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-May-20 22:39:00
Print Post

two laptops and a desktop updated yesterday without any issues.
Standard User zaggie
(regular) Sun 31-May-20 11:14:03
Print Post

Two desktops and a laptop no problems

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-20 11:43:34
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Why update so quickly?

Indeed, mea culpa. My bad habit of being an early adopter. But it's also a long time since I was bitten like this.
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Also, the best thing to do is to take an image of your computer.

And I use Ashampoo Backup Pro for my weekly full system backup.

Wow, that was strange, while writing a reply to this post, my computer crashed with a critical process died, I have never seen that before and to be honest I have not had a BSOD for months.

Anyway, I will try again.
I thought I would try Ashampoo backup pro as it is cheaper than Macrium reflect, which I am thinking of buying, there is a free version that I have been using for a while, but it is only for images, not files. Ashampoo is one of those software companies that have had a bit of iffiness about them for years, but I thought I would give them a go.

So this morning, I downloaded and install the evaluation version, back up my C drive, or thought I did, that was a pain, the partitions all over the place, a blank partition for disk 4 was down the long list of drives and it is only by chance that I know disk 4 is part of my main disk.

So I selected all the partitions on the disk and backed them up to my external drive and boy did that take a long time, I also made a rescue USB thing, which also took a while. This software is slow.
Then I rebooted the machine with the rescue USB and tried to restore my drive, if found the files I made, but kept coming up with no finished back found or something like that. So I gave up and will go back to Macrium reflect.

Macrium reflect is £48 with 12 months support, Ashampoo backup is £21 at the moment, so a bit of a difference. Reflect also has a 4 computer package for £95, so that is pretty good if I had four computers.

well I tried.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 31-May-20 12:44:31
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

"Ashampoo is one of those software companies that have had a bit of iffiness about them for years"

Would you care to expand on that. As far as I know they are a reputable company based in North Germany.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-20 12:52:55
Print Post

Would you care to expand on that. As far as I know they are a reputable company based in North Germany.

Some of their free software was full of nagware and once you get on their list, they bombarded you with emails, some of their software was ones that said they could fix PC problems and yet never seemed to do anything, but bombard people with nagware. I know they are not the only one to do this.
Things may have changed now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 31-May-20 13:18:02
Print Post

Well the 'nagging' isn't something I've experienced although I do make a point of opting out of all marketing contacts.

I have to agree that it is slow. I've broken my "full system backup" down into separate jobs each drive on it's own but it still takes Saturday and Sunday night to complete it so I'll have a 'looksee' at Macrium.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 17:39:45
Print Post

Well the 'nagging' isn't something I've experienced although I do make a point of opting out of all marketing contacts.

I have to agree that it is slow. I've broken my "full system backup" down into separate jobs each drive on it's own but it still takes Saturday and Sunday night to complete it so I'll have a 'looksee' at Macrium.

The slowness is not a big problem, after all you can just set it to do its thing and pop off for a coffee. The not being able to get the backup working again is a problem, maybe I missed a partition or something, but as I said they were all over the place.

Macrium reflect is free and the image back up is top-notch, I have never lost a backup, but the free version don't do file backups, just images, saying that I normally use comodo backup for files.
link for reflect.

i tried acronis once, never got on with it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jun-20 20:04:51
Print Post

> free version don't do file backups, just images

Out of curiosity can you not extract files from the image?

I use Terabyte Unlimited's BootItUEFI and Image for Windows. Image files can be mounted as a virtual drive or files extracted using the TBI utility. I've been using various versions for around 20 years, prior to that used Ghost when it was a still a small NZ based company long before it was taken over by Symantec.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Mon 01-Jun-20 20:51:14
Print Post

When I said Ashampoo BackupPro is slow I meant really slow 16+ hours.

I've downloaded Macrium Reflect free version and done my first full system backup. 4 partitions using about half the space used on my 250 GB primary SSD and and just over 1TB of data on my second drive a 2TB hybrid 'spinny'.

Just under 3 hours running time all told - I'm convinced and converted !

A 20% discount offer ran out yetserday so I've left them a message to ask whether it's going to be repeated. Fingers crossed if they say I can have the discount I'll buy it smile.

plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to