Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 22:18:49
Print Post

Re: First time I've had to rollback an update.

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
> free version don't do file backups, just images

Out of curiosity can you not extract files from the image?

I use Terabyte Unlimited's BootItUEFI and Image for Windows. Image files can be mounted as a virtual drive or files extracted using the TBI utility. I've been using various versions for around 20 years, prior to that used Ghost when it was a still a small NZ based company long before it was taken over by Symantec.

Yes you can mount the image browse and restore individual files on Macrium. You can also run the image backup as a Hyper-V system if needed on the free version.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC1200G+ and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 09:43:03
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
> free version don't do file backups, just images

Out of curiosity can you not extract files from the image?

I use Terabyte Unlimited's BootItUEFI and Image for Windows. Image files can be mounted as a virtual drive or files extracted using the TBI utility. I've been using various versions for around 20 years, prior to that used Ghost when it was a still a small NZ based company long before it was taken over by Symantec.

Yes as Banger said, that can be done and have saved me a few times, the problem is I don't keep my files on the same drive as my OS, which is a good thing, but then they don't get backed up, I suppose I could get Reflect to back up the other drive as well, mmm, good idea that. i want to get a new NAS as my old one have now gone belly up, I can not get the computer to recognise it at all now.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 09:44:41
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
When I said Ashampoo BackupPro is slow I meant really slow 16+ hours.

I've downloaded Macrium Reflect free version and done my first full system backup. 4 partitions using about half the space used on my 250 GB primary SSD and and just over 1TB of data on my second drive a 2TB hybrid 'spinny'.

Just under 3 hours running time all told - I'm convinced and converted !

A 20% discount offer ran out yetserday so I've left them a message to ask whether it's going to be repeated. Fingers crossed if they say I can have the discount I'll buy it smile.

Wow, that is slow, I only done a small drive just to test.
oh, well at least I am good for something. I am glad you like Reflect, the UI is not pretty, but it does the job.

i think I will wait for an offer.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 14:56:31
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Out of interest, what is it about the two backup solutions built into Windows 10 that people find inadequate?

Oliver.
Standard User TrevorSP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 15:15:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I can beat that !!!

I am on 1809 as I limp around with a duff motherboard, hanging on in there, with one SATA port available, only usb2 available as well but at the rear only. Nothing works at the front anymore!

Probably due to my dog and it's damn hair overheating the whole damn thing and me not noticing the fans blocked by the hair (After reading my logs!)

I look after "End of Life" dogs, so they tend to be with me for only 3 to 6 months etc. before they are off to the heavens above.
This one decided though that because of the early sun we had this year to go through its summer moult whilst living here rather than in kennels!
Never had an EOL dog moult like it!

Within a couple of weeks, I was walking on a carpet of dog hair and the vacuum cleaner just packed in as well!
Ended up using a stiff yard brush on my lovely carpet!
I never thought of my PC once!

The dog, "Dottie" my 3rd EOL doggie is now in heaven and I have cleaned up as much as I can smile

Regarding my PC I am ready to start again now, with parts bought from all over Amazon and going to make my own as usual. I very nearly bought my own this time, but after looking at the prices and what wasn't in the ones offered, I decided to go my own route!

The Dogs Home that I volunteer for has already rung me twice to see if I am ready for another. Twice I have said not quite ready yet frown

Ah well, what a long post to say I am currently using 1809!

Regards,
Trevor

BT 80/20 and Mobile phone package. Happy with both
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Tue 02-Jun-20 15:34:46
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Just guessing that you're referring to File History and Windows ERD. If you have an HDD go down especially if it's the system drive, it's nice to be able to install a new drive, image it and you're away again. A bit like carrying a spare tyre in the car, unnecessary but it can make life a lot easier.

Now I'm waiting to be proved wrong again smile

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 15:53:06
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Just guessing that you're referring to File History and Windows ERD.

Windows 10 still has Windows 7 backup which it doesn't seem like it will drop any time soon.

Windows 7 Backup has a system image option which I presume does what you want?

Oliver.
Standard User zaggie
(regular) Tue 02-Jun-20 15:59:54
Print Post

I couldn't agree more and you can even mount the resulting .vhdx file as a separate drive and retrieve individual files.

Edited by zaggie (Tue 02-Jun-20 16:02:07)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 16:10:01
Print Post

[re: zaggie] [link to this post]

My own preference is File History, since I don't mind doing a fresh installation of Windows (in some ways it's nice to "clean out the cobwebs").

But yes, there are certainly other options built into Windows for alternative backup regimes.

Oliver.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 23:17:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Just guessing that you're referring to File History and Windows ERD.

Windows 10 still has Windows 7 backup which it doesn't seem like it will drop any time soon.

Windows 7 Backup has a system image option which I presume does what you want?

The image backup is not that good, i lost data using it on Windows 7, so I would not trust it again, also it doesn't like restoring to a different size drive.

The file history may be ok, but I have never used it, in fact I would not know how it works as i have never looked into it. I prefer backing up my files to a different drive.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to