Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 23:21:32
Print Post

Re: First time I've had to rollback an update.

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
My own preference is File History, since I don't mind doing a fresh installation of Windows (in some ways it's nice to "clean out the cobwebs").

But yes, there are certainly other options built into Windows for alternative backup regimes.

Well me like a fool decided to update to the new versions of Windows 10, three hours it took and that was without downloading the update as I already had it, there is something wrong, hitfilm starts up and then vanishes and I got a couple of other bits of software that does the same thing, but cortana have vanished from the task manager.

So I will have a muck around tomorrow, and if I can not get it working I will restore to my last image or do clean install, the problem is I can not really be bothered with a clean installation.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 00:34:03
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Three hours is a long time. My two desktops one a very old Dual Pentium took around an hour to update from Media creation tool. My Laptop (i5) is still on 1909 as it gets to 30% then rolls back. Still waiting for a Synaptics touch pad driver update.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC1200G+ and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Wed 03-Jun-20 06:25:34
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Both my Laptops took about an hour with zero issues updating.

Cortana and everything else seems to be working fine (touch wood)

I did have to search for it as my default update app never picked it up and loaded it with Windows Creation Tool as requested.

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 08:53:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
Three hours is a long time. My two desktops one a very old Dual Pentium took around an hour to update from Media creation tool. My Laptop (i5) is still on 1909 as it gets to 30% then rolls back. Still waiting for a Synaptics touch pad driver update.

I am wondering now if it was worth it. These updates offer me nothing, that is the thing, if i was using the features these updates bring then fine, but I don't, in fact I want to get rid of most of them. I have not updated since 1809, but that should not make a difference to how long it takes. I had as text from a mate saying they updated their machine last night and it took over three hours, and they think the machine is running slower, which I have that feeling as well.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 11:44:51
Print Post

I very rarely use the new features but this update has a lot of security updates maybe why it appears slower like stack updates. My machine doesn't feel any slower and I have yet to max out my CPU according to HWinfo.

I have tried the new cortana but it is just like google in a box and doesn't chat much yet.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 16:54:17
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

[Replying to myself for convenience]

Thanks for the responses.

Updated my desktop this afternoon. No problems, just the usual post-update sorting out of the Start menu and reinstalling Epson Scan utility & Microsoft Games that Win 10 upgrades always delete.

All else seems good, including both printers which have sometimes needed some post-update work.

Will leave it a few days then probably do my laptop.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 18:30:03
Print Post

I am still thinking about going back to my last image, or do a complete reinstallation, My video editor is still not working correctly, I thought it sorted out, used it for half an hour this evening and it went again, no error, just vanished. I have also got an error when I shut down, caused by the Corsair cue software for my keyboard, never had that before
Dong a complete installation is a pain, in that I need to put all the plug ins back in for vegas, but it would still take me less than three hours/.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 18:41:44
Print Post

I was getting that error on shutdown/restart but it disappeared when I updated.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 07:04:30
Print Post

strange,

I decided to do a complete restore, I found some software that was suppose to copy installed software as it is, so I done that for Vegas, I am so glad I made a image before I tried to restore Vegas, because it did not work and mucked it up and I could not eve n uninstall Vegas or install it over the top, so time wasted, it would have been quicker to install it from scratch smile

Anyway, windows 10 2004 is now up and running, with some software, will do the rest when I come home from work, why I do these things?

I did find out why cortana is not running in the background, by all accounts it is not available for the UK now. Good job too

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 23:13:32
Print Post

Cortana works for me Win + C are you running Pro or Home?

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to