Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Thu 28-May-20 21:57:58
Print Post

First time I've had to rollback an update.

[link to this post]

For a long time now, Windows updates have worked fine for me and I've become complacent. Went ahead and installed latest update. I should've done some reading first. What a nightmare, none of my 'go to' apps worked and for the first time I've given up and rolled back to Vers 1909.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-May-20 00:47:37
Print Post

Re: First time I've had to rollback an update.

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I've had no major problems on two desktops so far with 2004. I downloaded the ISO and did an inplace upgrade. Although I haven't checked all apps most seem to be working ok.

But my HP 250 G7 laptop wont have it. It gets to 30% reboots then blue screens and rolls back. I have been in touch with MS and sent logs which they have analysed and said it could be the Synaptics touchpad driver which was updated 16.03.20 by Windows Update. Tried reporting what MS said to HP to see if they could get the driver to play ball with 2004 but no response.

So my laptop is stuck on 1909 until MS or HP fix this issue. I shall be reading the article you linked to with interest.

Edit: Which of your apps don't run longedge?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC1200G+ and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM

Edited by Banger (Fri 29-May-20 00:59:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-May-20 02:21:51
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
I've had no major problems on two desktops so far with 2004. I downloaded the ISO and did an inplace upgrade. Although I haven't checked all apps most seem to be working ok.

But my HP 250 G7 laptop wont have it. It gets to 30% reboots then blue screens and rolls back. I have been in touch with MS and sent logs which they have analysed and said it could be the Synaptics touchpad driver which was updated 16.03.20 by Windows Update. Tried reporting what MS said to HP to see if they could get the driver to play ball with 2004 but no response.

So my laptop is stuck on 1909 until MS or HP fix this issue. I shall be reading the article you linked to with interest.

Ye gods 😋🤣.

With standard MS updating my Dell is still on 1903!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
====================================================
"They say travel broadens the mind; but you must have the mind." G K Chesterton

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 29-May-20 02:22:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 29-May-20 05:36:03
Print Post

Worst one and the decider for me was Cumulus which despite all my attempts wouldn't run. Displayed for a second then closed, none of the compatibilty options worked. PaintshopPro also wouldn't run and TBH then a bit of panic set in 🙂.

My webcam wouldn't work at all just as we'd got a family zoom meeting scheduled. I appeared as the live feed from my birdbox until I unplugged the USB video grabber which converts the camera feed and then my webcam worked.

There were just too many changes most of which I could probably have resolved but it was all too much of a shock, at least the rollback worked without a hitch.

Edited by longedge (Fri 29-May-20 05:44:59)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-May-20 07:10:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by longedge:
For a long time now, Windows updates have worked fine for me and I've become complacent. Went ahead and installed latest update. I should've done some reading first. What a nightmare, none of my 'go to' apps worked and for the first time I've given up and rolled back to Vers 1909.

Why update so quickly? You should know by now that these updates are as buggy as hell when they are first released.

Also, the best thing to do is to take an image of your computer using Macrium reflect or something like it before you update, then if all goes wrong you can restore the image, far better than rolling back, which can and have gone wrong.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 29-May-20 08:33:55
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Why update so quickly?

Indeed, mea culpa. My bad habit of being an early adopter. but it's also a long time since I was bitten like this.
Also, the best thing to do is to take an image of your computer.

And I use Ashampoo Backup Pro for my weekly full system backup.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-May-20 14:07:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Personally dont see the need to update. None of the new features interest me, and with 1909 still being supported until next year i dont see the need

Out of interest is it easy to rollback?

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 30-May-20 14:08:25)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-May-20 14:11:18
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Out of interest is it easy to rollback?

Very easy. For the first 10 days post-update, there's a rollback button in Settings.

Oliver.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sat 30-May-20 15:09:02
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Install took my PC 4-5 hours and it took 2-3 minutes to rollback.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-May-20 18:43:27
Print Post

Also out of interest has anyone updated to 2004 and it's all gone ok?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-May-20 18:44:01
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Yes two desktops.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User petsy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-May-20 22:39:00
Print Post

two laptops and a desktop updated yesterday without any issues.
Standard User zaggie
(regular) Sun 31-May-20 11:14:03
Print Post

Two desktops and a laptop no problems
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-20 11:43:34
Print Post

Why update so quickly?

Indeed, mea culpa. My bad habit of being an early adopter. But it's also a long time since I was bitten like this.
Also, the best thing to do is to take an image of your computer.

And I use Ashampoo Backup Pro for my weekly full system backup.

Wow, that was strange, while writing a reply to this post, my computer crashed with a critical process died, I have never seen that before and to be honest I have not had a BSOD for months.

Anyway, I will try again.
I thought I would try Ashampoo backup pro as it is cheaper than Macrium reflect, which I am thinking of buying, there is a free version that I have been using for a while, but it is only for images, not files. Ashampoo is one of those software companies that have had a bit of iffiness about them for years, but I thought I would give them a go.

So this morning, I downloaded and install the evaluation version, back up my C drive, or thought I did, that was a pain, the partitions all over the place, a blank partition for disk 4 was down the long list of drives and it is only by chance that I know disk 4 is part of my main disk.

So I selected all the partitions on the disk and backed them up to my external drive and boy did that take a long time, I also made a rescue USB thing, which also took a while. This software is slow.
Then I rebooted the machine with the rescue USB and tried to restore my drive, if found the files I made, but kept coming up with no finished back found or something like that. So I gave up and will go back to Macrium reflect.

Macrium reflect is £48 with 12 months support, Ashampoo backup is £21 at the moment, so a bit of a difference. Reflect also has a 4 computer package for £95, so that is pretty good if I had four computers.

well I tried.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 31-May-20 12:44:31
Print Post

"Ashampoo is one of those software companies that have had a bit of iffiness about them for years"

Would you care to expand on that. As far as I know they are a reputable company based in North Germany.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-20 12:52:55
Print Post

Would you care to expand on that. As far as I know they are a reputable company based in North Germany.

Some of their free software was full of nagware and once you get on their list, they bombarded you with emails, some of their software was ones that said they could fix PC problems and yet never seemed to do anything, but bombard people with nagware. I know they are not the only one to do this.
Things may have changed now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 31-May-20 13:18:02
Print Post

Well the 'nagging' isn't something I've experienced although I do make a point of opting out of all marketing contacts.

I have to agree that it is slow. I've broken my "full system backup" down into separate jobs each drive on it's own but it still takes Saturday and Sunday night to complete it so I'll have a 'looksee' at Macrium.

plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 17:39:45
Print Post

Well the 'nagging' isn't something I've experienced although I do make a point of opting out of all marketing contacts.

I have to agree that it is slow. I've broken my "full system backup" down into separate jobs each drive on it's own but it still takes Saturday and Sunday night to complete it so I'll have a 'looksee' at Macrium.

The slowness is not a big problem, after all you can just set it to do its thing and pop off for a coffee. The not being able to get the backup working again is a problem, maybe I missed a partition or something, but as I said they were all over the place.

Macrium reflect is free and the image back up is top-notch, I have never lost a backup, but the free version don't do file backups, just images, saying that I normally use comodo backup for files.
link for reflect.

i tried acronis once, never got on with it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jun-20 20:04:51
Print Post

> free version don't do file backups, just images

Out of curiosity can you not extract files from the image?

I use Terabyte Unlimited's BootItUEFI and Image for Windows. Image files can be mounted as a virtual drive or files extracted using the TBI utility. I've been using various versions for around 20 years, prior to that used Ghost when it was a still a small NZ based company long before it was taken over by Symantec.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Mon 01-Jun-20 20:51:14
Print Post

When I said Ashampoo BackupPro is slow I meant really slow 16+ hours.

I've downloaded Macrium Reflect free version and done my first full system backup. 4 partitions using about half the space used on my 250 GB primary SSD and and just over 1TB of data on my second drive a 2TB hybrid 'spinny'.

Just under 3 hours running time all told - I'm convinced and converted !

A 20% discount offer ran out yetserday so I've left them a message to ask whether it's going to be repeated. Fingers crossed if they say I can have the discount I'll buy it smile.

plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 22:18:49
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:

I use Terabyte Unlimited's BootItUEFI and Image for Windows. Image files can be mounted as a virtual drive or files extracted using the TBI utility. I've been using various versions for around 20 years, prior to that used Ghost when it was a still a small NZ based company long before it was taken over by Symantec.

Yes you can mount the image browse and restore individual files on Macrium. You can also run the image backup as a Hyper-V system if needed on the free version.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 09:43:03
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:

Yes as Banger said, that can be done and have saved me a few times, the problem is I don't keep my files on the same drive as my OS, which is a good thing, but then they don't get backed up, I suppose I could get Reflect to back up the other drive as well, mmm, good idea that. i want to get a new NAS as my old one have now gone belly up, I can not get the computer to recognise it at all now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 09:44:41
Print Post

When I said Ashampoo BackupPro is slow I meant really slow 16+ hours.

I've downloaded Macrium Reflect free version and done my first full system backup. 4 partitions using about half the space used on my 250 GB primary SSD and and just over 1TB of data on my second drive a 2TB hybrid 'spinny'.

Just under 3 hours running time all told - I'm convinced and converted !

A 20% discount offer ran out yetserday so I've left them a message to ask whether it's going to be repeated. Fingers crossed if they say I can have the discount I'll buy it smile.

Wow, that is slow, I only done a small drive just to test.
oh, well at least I am good for something. I am glad you like Reflect, the UI is not pretty, but it does the job.

i think I will wait for an offer.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 14:56:31
Print Post

Out of interest, what is it about the two backup solutions built into Windows 10 that people find inadequate?

Oliver.
Standard User TrevorSP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 15:15:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I can beat that !!!

I am on 1809 as I limp around with a duff motherboard, hanging on in there, with one SATA port available, only usb2 available as well but at the rear only. Nothing works at the front anymore!

Probably due to my dog and it's damn hair overheating the whole damn thing and me not noticing the fans blocked by the hair (After reading my logs!)

I look after "End of Life" dogs, so they tend to be with me for only 3 to 6 months etc. before they are off to the heavens above.
This one decided though that because of the early sun we had this year to go through its summer moult whilst living here rather than in kennels!
Never had an EOL dog moult like it!

Within a couple of weeks, I was walking on a carpet of dog hair and the vacuum cleaner just packed in as well!
Ended up using a stiff yard brush on my lovely carpet!
I never thought of my PC once!

The dog, "Dottie" my 3rd EOL doggie is now in heaven and I have cleaned up as much as I can smile

Regarding my PC I am ready to start again now, with parts bought from all over Amazon and going to make my own as usual. I very nearly bought my own this time, but after looking at the prices and what wasn't in the ones offered, I decided to go my own route!

The Dogs Home that I volunteer for has already rung me twice to see if I am ready for another. Twice I have said not quite ready yet frown

Ah well, what a long post to say I am currently using 1809!

Regards,
Trevor

BT 80/20 and Mobile phone package. Happy with both
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Tue 02-Jun-20 15:34:46
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Just guessing that you're referring to File History and Windows ERD. If you have an HDD go down especially if it's the system drive, it's nice to be able to install a new drive, image it and you're away again. A bit like carrying a spare tyre in the car, unnecessary but it can make life a lot easier.

Now I'm waiting to be proved wrong again smile

plusnet FTTC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 15:53:06
Print Post

Just guessing that you're referring to File History and Windows ERD.

Windows 10 still has Windows 7 backup which it doesn't seem like it will drop any time soon.

Windows 7 Backup has a system image option which I presume does what you want?

Oliver.
Standard User zaggie
(regular) Tue 02-Jun-20 15:59:54
Print Post

I couldn't agree more and you can even mount the resulting .vhdx file as a separate drive and retrieve individual files.

Edited by zaggie (Tue 02-Jun-20 16:02:07)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 16:10:01
Print Post

[re: zaggie] [link to this post]

My own preference is File History, since I don't mind doing a fresh installation of Windows (in some ways it's nice to "clean out the cobwebs").

But yes, there are certainly other options built into Windows for alternative backup regimes.

Oliver.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 23:17:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Just guessing that you're referring to File History and Windows ERD.

Windows 10 still has Windows 7 backup which it doesn't seem like it will drop any time soon.

Windows 7 Backup has a system image option which I presume does what you want?

The image backup is not that good, i lost data using it on Windows 7, so I would not trust it again, also it doesn't like restoring to a different size drive.

The file history may be ok, but I have never used it, in fact I would not know how it works as i have never looked into it. I prefer backing up my files to a different drive.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jun-20 23:21:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
My own preference is File History, since I don't mind doing a fresh installation of Windows (in some ways it's nice to "clean out the cobwebs").

But yes, there are certainly other options built into Windows for alternative backup regimes.

Well me like a fool decided to update to the new versions of Windows 10, three hours it took and that was without downloading the update as I already had it, there is something wrong, hitfilm starts up and then vanishes and I got a couple of other bits of software that does the same thing, but cortana have vanished from the task manager.

So I will have a muck around tomorrow, and if I can not get it working I will restore to my last image or do clean install, the problem is I can not really be bothered with a clean installation.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 00:34:03
Print Post

Three hours is a long time. My two desktops one a very old Dual Pentium took around an hour to update from Media creation tool. My Laptop (i5) is still on 1909 as it gets to 30% then rolls back. Still waiting for a Synaptics touch pad driver update.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Wed 03-Jun-20 06:25:34
Print Post

Both my Laptops took about an hour with zero issues updating.

Cortana and everything else seems to be working fine (touch wood)

I did have to search for it as my default update app never picked it up and loaded it with Windows Creation Tool as requested.

BTBroadband
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 08:53:26
Print Post

Three hours is a long time. My two desktops one a very old Dual Pentium took around an hour to update from Media creation tool. My Laptop (i5) is still on 1909 as it gets to 30% then rolls back. Still waiting for a Synaptics touch pad driver update.

I am wondering now if it was worth it. These updates offer me nothing, that is the thing, if i was using the features these updates bring then fine, but I don't, in fact I want to get rid of most of them. I have not updated since 1809, but that should not make a difference to how long it takes. I had as text from a mate saying they updated their machine last night and it took over three hours, and they think the machine is running slower, which I have that feeling as well.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 11:44:51
Print Post

I very rarely use the new features but this update has a lot of security updates maybe why it appears slower like stack updates. My machine doesn't feel any slower and I have yet to max out my CPU according to HWinfo.

I have tried the new cortana but it is just like google in a box and doesn't chat much yet.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 16:54:17
Print Post

[Replying to myself for convenience]

Thanks for the responses.

Updated my desktop this afternoon. No problems, just the usual post-update sorting out of the Start menu and reinstalling Epson Scan utility & Microsoft Games that Win 10 upgrades always delete.

All else seems good, including both printers which have sometimes needed some post-update work.

Will leave it a few days then probably do my laptop.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 18:30:03
Print Post

I am still thinking about going back to my last image, or do a complete reinstallation, My video editor is still not working correctly, I thought it sorted out, used it for half an hour this evening and it went again, no error, just vanished. I have also got an error when I shut down, caused by the Corsair cue software for my keyboard, never had that before
Dong a complete installation is a pain, in that I need to put all the plug ins back in for vegas, but it would still take me less than three hours/.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 18:41:44
Print Post

I was getting that error on shutdown/restart but it disappeared when I updated.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 07:04:30
Print Post

strange,

I decided to do a complete restore, I found some software that was suppose to copy installed software as it is, so I done that for Vegas, I am so glad I made a image before I tried to restore Vegas, because it did not work and mucked it up and I could not eve n uninstall Vegas or install it over the top, so time wasted, it would have been quicker to install it from scratch smile

Anyway, windows 10 2004 is now up and running, with some software, will do the rest when I come home from work, why I do these things?

I did find out why cortana is not running in the background, by all accounts it is not available for the UK now. Good job too

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jun-20 23:13:32
Print Post

Cortana works for me Win + C are you running Pro or Home?

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jun-20 19:13:09
Print Post

Cortana works for me Win + C are you running Pro or Home?

It is there now for some reason, but it don't seem to start up when the computer is first booted, it does come up when I use win+C, Sadly

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Jon1223
(newbie) Fri 19-Jun-20 16:42:34
Print Post

Is it possible to disable the automatic updating of Windows 10?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 17:45:52
Print Post

[re: Jon1223] [link to this post]

i use stop updates 10, but there are others, you can pause updates within windows.

If you just want to block the new edge then there is a blocker tool from MS here, not sure how long it will last, I presume when you update Windows to the next version after 2004 it will install Edge, even if you have it blocked.
I have done both, but if you do it, and anything goes wrong, then take no responsibility, but then you should make a back up image before you do anything anyway

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 17:51:07
Print Post

i decided to pay for Macrium reflect for the file copy, but it turns out it is not a normal file copy, it still backs up the files in a container. Not a big problem and I do like that, but I want some software that can sync folders, something like what cloud clients does, like Dropbox or The Ms one, and the name escapes me at the moment.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Sat 20-Jun-20 21:26:28
Print Post

In Windows 10 there's File History which apparently backs up individual files.

It can be found at Setting->Update and Security->Backup.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to