Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User j112
(committed) Wed 02-Sep-20 19:17:22
Print Post

Easiest way to move data from old SSD to new SSD

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

I am hoping you can help. I am in the process of building a new PC and have purchased a 1tb SSD. I want to move all my data across but it's slight complicated..please see background below.

On my old PC I have a 512gb SSD, I recently upgraded the PC from Windows 7 --> Windows 10. This has led to an issue where in Microsoft Word I cant view any embedded pictures, after weeks of googling the only fix seems to be to perform Windows 10 Repair Install. I tried this last week and I got the BSOD saying "Windows 10 Repair failed reverting to previous settings" and I was back to the original Windows 10. Everything on the system is fine apart from the issue with Word which is really annoying.

Now for my new PC the options I have are:

1) Perform a brand new windows 10 install and use one of tools available online to transfer "all apps and data via an image file to the new windows 10 install. I am a bit dubious on whether all the apps will actually get transferred.

2) Clone the old Windows 10 SSD to the New SSD and then try Microsoft Word if the issue still exists then try a Windows 10 repair?

I want an option that is low risk and quick and easy to do smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Broadband History
Exchange: Montfort

1st Ntl World Dial Up
2nd Pipex 512k/1Mb
3rd UK Online- 4.5Mb
4th Zen-(Never connected! Tags on the line!)
5th Sky - 3.5Mb
6th Virgin Media 30Mb
7th Sky FTTC 40Mb (Cancelled after two days due to DLM/Poor Internal Wiring/ Connection Drops)
8th Virgin Media 60Mb
9th Virgin Media 100Mb
10th Virgin Media 150Mb
11th Virgin Media 200Mb
---------------------------------------------------------------
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Sep-20 12:03:31
Print Post

Re: Easiest way to move data from old SSD to new SSD

[re: j112] [link to this post]

Always better to have a clean restore to be honest, Data should be backed up anyway on external drives.

Macrium reflect will do a clone if you want to do a clone and also images for back up.
I know re-installing all your software can be a pain in the neck, i have Vegas and the plug ins to restore are a pain and take so long, this is why I always have a basic image of my computer, but if there is a problem with your windows installation then taking it across to a new drive will give you the same problem.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User canadianbee
(newbie) Sat 24-Oct-20 04:09:03
Print Post

Re: Easiest way to move data from old SSD to new SSD

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I agree with this user, the problem will be the drivers when moving from one windows (7) to the other (10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to