Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 30-Oct-20 16:27:59
Print Post

Win10 2004 update.

[link to this post]

Anyone else allowed Windows to install Ver2004?

I did this morning and so far the only real problem I've had was that I lost audio output from my Soundblaster-Z. A full un/re-install of Creative drivers and apps has sorted that.

Last time I tried it was in June and I had to roll it back then, but it seems as if it's OK this time.

plusnet FTTC

Edited by longedge (Fri 30-Oct-20 16:31:04)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Oct-20 20:33:14
Print Post

Re: Win10 2004 update.

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I have it installed, I installed it a few weeks back. It was really slow when i installed it, but I done a clean install and it is ok.
I did have a few problems a few days back with some BSoDs, but I think I sorted that out being something to do with memory setting in the bios.

Creative drivers used to be awful and I do not they have changed, i had the same problem with my Asus sound card, sorted that out now as well, just don't allow windows to install driver updates.

at the end of the day 2004 works, there is nothing in it that is of interest to me, but then that is Windows 10 for me, what ever they add to it, I do not use, i just want the OS and that is it. i would still be using Windows 7 or 8 if they would work on my machine

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Wagstaff
(experienced) Wed 04-Nov-20 21:05:38
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

The next issue is known as "20H2". Microsoft have already indicated that it's ready to install on my system, but I'm reluctant to do so because it means the end of the "Control Panel".

For years, in many iterations, of the Windows operating system, it has been the one bit of useful software that Microsoft always provided.

"Everybody's unique, but nobody's special."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-20 21:24:51
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wagstaff:
The next issue is known as "20H2". Microsoft have already indicated that it's ready to install on my system, but I'm reluctant to do so because it means the end of the "Control Panel".

For years, in many iterations, of the Windows operating system, it has been the one bit of useful software that Microsoft always provided.

No it doesn't I have 20H2 and still have control panel on my desktop.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Nov-20 23:47:28
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

They've taken a few more bits out of Control Panel haven't they? Put them into Settings?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-20 23:49:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Like what?

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Nov-20 23:53:40
Print Post

Something I read in ISPreview I think a few days ago.

The old System page that showed the summary of processor, RAM and so on disappeared to somewhere in there a while ago.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-20 23:58:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes I noticed that but I think very little else has changed in CP. Jen Gentleman the GUI designer of Win 10 has been tweeting about getting rid of CP but met with some resistance.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Thu 05-Nov-20 06:36:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
Yes I noticed that but I think very little else has changed in CP. Jen Gentleman the GUI designer of Win 10 has been tweeting about getting rid of CP but met with some resistance.

I updated from 2004 to 20H2 a couple of weeks ago (very quick and painless) and I have yet to see anything that has changed/ Control Panel still there in all its glory.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Nov-20 09:36:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:

It is going to be difficult to get rid of, some older hardware still use it for settings and even some software do.

There are also still some Windows stuff that needs the control panel, granted it is getting less.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to