Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Dec-20 22:46:47
Print Post

Server won't boot from SSD suddenly

[link to this post]

Yikes! So my mail/music/video server died earlier today (no idea why, it was working in the morning but according to my BQM it failed around 5pm). I've investigated and whilst it can see the SSD and read from it via the EUFI shell (I can navigate the tree and see files) it just doesn't want to boot from it any more. There's no specific message just a generic 'where the hell is the boot disk?' frown

I've been out of the loop with respect to fixing computers for a couple of years but are there any obvious/standard things I can do to fix this? I don't currently have any way to connect the SSD to another computer but I could order an appropriate USB enclosure if there are things worth trying.

To be honest if it's a case of 'buy a new SSD, reinstall your stuff' then I might just not bother.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Dec-20 06:39:21
Print Post

Re: Server won't boot from SSD suddenly

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

This may help: https://www.pcerror-fix.com/complete-tutorial-fix-ue...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Dec-20 17:08:08
Print Post

I have seen this before on slightly old motherboards (i.e z97 and previous) - the very modern ones tend to be a bit more resilleint. Things like updates to intel rapid storage drivers can cause this.

Before resorting to more complicated fixes, which google has plenty of solutions, if there are additional drives installed (HDDs/DVD rom drives) try unplugging them all first leaving just the SSD and see if that helps.

Then after that try re-adding the other drives, and sometimes that will do the trick.

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-20 18:34:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
To be honest if it's a case of 'buy a new SSD, reinstall your stuff' then I might just not bother.

Few weeks later, but if you can read, but not write, then the SSD may have expired.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to