Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jan-21 14:10:01
Print Post

Setting up gmail.com or outlook.com email accounts

[link to this post]

Normally I use my own domain for email addresses using either my AAISP or TSOhost account. Now recently to enable portability between a group of users, I have been asked to set up a gmail.com account or similar.

Ideally I want to be able to send/receive the emails via my Office Outlook 2007. So far, whilst able to use the respective webmail accesses, I cannot get Outlook 2007 to log in to either of gmail or outlook.

End up with being asked for my password and then having it rejected. The passwords I'm using are correct since I needed same to log into the web version.

I know that Outlook 2007 is not the latest, but in the case of gmail, that even offers instructions for its use with Eudora which I used to use with Win 95 back in the day! And has since ceased.

(I don't want to use Eudora, just quoting that as an example.)

My PC is running Win7 Pro 64 bit

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Thu 14-Jan-21 14:59:47
Print Post

Re: Setting up gmail.com or outlook.com email accounts

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Googled "Outlook 2007 Gmail" and got this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/m...

The fix seems to be explained in the last response at the foot of the thread.

Edited by GonePostal (Thu 14-Jan-21 15:03:38)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jan-21 22:28:20
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

I too had Googled and it seems the ability for Outlook to be accessed by Outlook 2007 was designed out a couple of years ago.

Similarly, it does not seem possible to have two independent Outlook.com accounts on the same PC (well for the same user) such as a personal account and another in a different name. Which is what I wanted so that in due time I can hand over that other account to whoever supersedes me.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jan-21 21:50:13
Print Post

The issue with running Outlook 2007 is that it will have security vulnerabilities in it such that it would be possible to receive a malicious email and that email be able to actually infect your PC (or do something else undesirable). I'd really recommend updating.

It is possible it will simply not work (properly) as Outlook 2007 may not have the sufficient functionality to connect to Gmail servers.

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jan-21 23:03:14
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Yes, newer versions of Outlook support OAuth 2.0 and so do not require "allow less secure apps" to be enabled on Gmail.

Oliver.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jan-21 23:38:43
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

That confirms what I have since been reading. So that is gmail off my list.

outlook.com does not want to play either. This initially at least, in that setting up a second outlook.com account (which could later be passed on) on the same pc proved impossible.

I have now found gmx.com email which is free and happy to reside as a web based system and also via Outlook using POP3 or imap with smtp. Was very easy to set up the account and similarly Outlook 2007

It is part of the 1&1 etc company.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-21 11:45:52
Print Post

It is interesting that more than 1 company is warning you that Outlook 2007 is insecure but that your solution is to go to a company that doesn't mind rather than to replace the very old insecure email app... Outlook 2007 went out of support in 2017 and so security holes are not going to be patched.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-21 14:36:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
It is interesting that more than 1 company is warning you that Outlook 2007 is insecure but that your solution is to go to a company that doesn't mind rather than to replace the very old insecure email app... Outlook 2007 went out of support in 2017 and so security holes are not going to be patched.

Agree - continuing to use 2007 is not clever. In addition gmx is not a reputable email service and deliverability will not be as good as the likes of gmail/hotmail (outlook).

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-21 15:57:53
Print Post

He's also running Windows 7 which is unsupported and insecure. Some people refuse to follow sound advice I guess.

Oliver.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-21 17:22:52
Print Post

I would have used either gmail or outlook.com, but not so easy if you want an independent account that can be passed on to another future user.

Before I opened the gmx account, I tried gmail. One issue there, was that the google account that it demanded (I did not have one before) becomes my name for anything Google related.

It appears that at one time a user could have two unrelated outlook.com email accounts, say [email protected] and [email protected] but now if you have an outlook.com address, then a new one becomes linked to the first one. So once I relinquish my secretary post and hand over the log-in to the new guy, he/she would be linked to my outlook.com account.

Which email client would you suggest? Where does gmx fall down?

Cheers!

Clive

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to