Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Thu 04-Feb-21 22:24:00
Print Post

Windows 10 calendar

[link to this post]

Is it possible to use Windows 10 calendar without an MS account? I want it to remind to synchronise a USB drive I use with my NAS every month, but when I make the entry it vanishes. All I want is a reminder on my computer, I don't need it synced to other devices, a bit silly having the thing if it needs an MS account.
I am sure I could use my Google Calendar and connect it to the windows calendar, but I don't want to do that. It is a reminder that I need on my computer, not on my phone.

If it is not possible to use the Windows calendar without an MS account I will have to look for a different calendar.

Cheers peeps.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Feb-21 22:39:24
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 calendar

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Instead of using a calendar couldn't you simply create a basic task in Windows Task Scheduler to open up a text or image file with a message on it once a month?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Feb-21 00:54:05
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Excellent idea Dect. I used to do this on Win 98 at work to remind me to backup my work to the server before I wrote a script to run on task scheduler to do it.

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 05-Feb-21 00:58:50
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Excellent idea Dect. I used to do this on Win 98 at work to remind me to backup my work to the server before I wrote a script to run on task scheduler to do it.

Perhaps you could even write a script to get a pop-up to remind you to insert the USB then have the script run the synchronisation. I've managed to get that set up to back up key files to a USB drive once a week (on Windows 10 so it is possible).
Standard User neo_wales
(member) Fri 05-Feb-21 01:02:04
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Put it on your android To Do list on your phone.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 05-Feb-21 06:44:10
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Instead of using a calendar couldn't you simply create a basic task in Windows Task Scheduler to open up a text or image file with a message on it once a month?

That is a good idea,
I use a bit of software called alway sync, it is really good, it syncs files from the computer to the Nas. the USB is a small pen drive that I use for documents, I back it up to DVD and NAS using the sync software, but because the drive and DVD for that matter is not always in use, I do not want to do it automatically.
I could set it to do it when I plug the drive in, but the problem is, then it tries to sync any drive that is plugged in with that drive letter smile

The strange thing is I turned on the computer this morning and on the lock screen, the event is there on the calendar, but when I open the calendar itself, it is not.

I did think about using Alexa to remind me, but that would not work either, I want something to pop up on the screen and say, do this.

Thanks to all that replied

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Feb-21 09:23:08
Print Post

You turn your computer off at night? What kind of talk is this?

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 05-Feb-21 09:26:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I could set it to do it when I plug the drive in, but the problem is, then it tries to sync any drive that is plugged in with that drive letter smile

My syncing software also needs to have a fixed drive letter to receive the back-up. A bit of digging and I eventually found that It is possible to assign a fixed drive letter so that whenever a specific USB device is connected it always picks the same drive letter. Details of how to do that at https://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-driv..., Although the solution is marked for Windows 7 in the title, the text explains that exactly the same process works in Windows 8 and 10. You could assign a drive letter unlikely to be used by any other device (so possibly later in the alphabet). At a tangent, it is also possible to link that drive letter to a folder on your HDD if you have programs that look for a local address rather than another drive. I got the instructions for that after another search, so the information is out there if you require that as well.

Edited by GonePostal (Fri 05-Feb-21 09:27:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Feb-21 12:00:01
Print Post

Google calendar works fine on Win 10, and sync's perfectly with my Android phone Google calendar. Dead simple.

Should also sync with Windows calendar to do alerts on your computer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-Feb-21 12:08:59)

Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Mon 08-Feb-21 08:59:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Google calendar works fine on Win 10, and sync's perfectly with my Android phone Google calendar. Dead simple.

Should also sync with Windows calendar to do alerts on your computer.

Oh yes that would work, but I do not want to link the Google calendar to my computer, I just want something that will more or less pop up on a certain time of the month when I turn the computer on. thanks anyway

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to