User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smurf46
(member) Mon 10-Sep-12 18:10:44
Print Post

Re: Any experience of Kijoma?

[re: boriscrispin] [link to this post]

I deal with lots of small businesses including another WISP as Kijoma aren't the only one (as often I prefer them to their larger counterparts) and in all cases when you get what you want it's lovely, but you just can't guarantee it. And their owners have their quirks (more than most, perhaps), which you have to accept. Variety is the spice of life. And sometimes they seem to have a funny idea about customer service, but they know their stuff and isn't that more important? So you have to be prepared to be disappointed. It's why we're used to dealing with larger businesses - things are so much more predictable and the bureaucracy might often be the best part of the business.

My only problem is the "BT are wicked and rubbish" argument is no more true than the same comment applied to all altnets. Why anybody demeans themselves by spouting such rubbish is a mystery to me.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 13-Sep-12 23:44:15
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Interesting comments , I think it worth noting that the ONLY people on here expressing any negativity about Kijoma are not customers, they are people who want to be customers but seem to fail to understand that the reason they have to wait is because of the massive demand for the service and "small" companies have a finite rate at which they can install service.

Within this month we have already installed 52 customers, during this time another 162 have registered demand via the website..

It is not that we do not want the custom, it is not that we want to be awkward or dismissive, it is simple economics, if you have far more demand than you can fulfill then you prioritize. BT do this by putting fibre in high population density areas first, all businesses do it that wish to get the best return on their investment.

In some ways having a couple of Openreach staff/contractors over the last year or so taking the time and effort to try and berate Kijoma on this obscure neck of the TB forums is complimentary and a validation of the service we provide too. Think about it.

My main critique is not so much the likes of BT but the way in which government continues to spout the mantra of choice. I.e. the choice given by multiple parasitic providers all using the same infrastructure .

All the while sharing its limitations and paying to use it. This to the exclusion of genuine independent providers with their own infrastructure and their own commercial product .

If the government had the same approach to pubs then they would ALL have to be Free houses. Supermarkets would have to sell each others own brand products and so on..

The term Altnet is demeaning too and i certainly do not refer Kijoma as one. Being independent does not mean we are a mere 2nd rate alternative to BT, as if they are somehow the defacto standard to measure all others against.

When looking at Quirks of a small business you need to balance this up with the extreme frustration of the vacuous support structure of large ones.

In reply to a post by smurf46:
I deal with lots of small businesses including another WISP as Kijoma aren't the only one (as often I prefer them to their larger counterparts) and in all cases when you get what you want it's lovely, but you just can't guarantee it. And their owners have their quirks (more than most, perhaps), which you have to accept. Variety is the spice of life. And sometimes they seem to have a funny idea about customer service, but they know their stuff and isn't that more important? So you have to be prepared to be disappointed. It's why we're used to dealing with larger businesses - things are so much more predictable and the bureaucracy might often be the best part of the business.

My only problem is the "BT are wicked and rubbish" argument is no more true than the same comment applied to all altnets. Why anybody demeans themselves by spouting such rubbish is a mystery to me.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 13-Oct-12 17:59:11
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

It is not that we do not want the custom, it is not that we want to be awkward or dismissive, it is simple economics, if you have far more demand than you can fulfill then you prioritize.

It doesn't seem to be the problem of coverage or expansion leading to not being able to get the service.
From what I read in this thread it seems people just don't even get responded to. You could at a minimum put a notice on the "Register your interest" page saying that due to demand you might not be able to respond, or e-mail or call back those who enquire who you are "de-prioritizing" so they don't sit for months on end attempting to contact you or waiting for contact from you.
"Expectation management".

I've heard similar stories from multiple people about the delays and lack of contact when trying to get your service.. But I also do know someone who managed to get a successful install about 1.5 years ago and is happy with the Kijoma service and reliability and continues to be a customer to this day.

It may work for those who have it; sort out the pre-sales side and you may find your internet reviews and "rants" change. The "Small company" excuse isn't good enough; Let people know they won't be responded to or expand your sales side to cope.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Fri 26-Oct-12 10:04:43
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I am guessing you have never used our contact form, it clearly states there will be a delay for enquiries. This has been there for many months.

It also clearly acknowledges the enquiry when it has been submitted.

We prefer to have happy customers like the one you describe and not fall into the standard ISP model of chasing new customers at the expense of the current ones.

I find it odd that nobody here seems able to comprehend the simple business logic in the following:-

if our order book is full - then people need to be patient or find another provider.

if you are outside a clearly shown coverage map - then responding to you is low priority . Saying "i am near" or "i have a clear view of" does not make it magically work. Especially if neither are remotely true.

If demand exceeds the ability to supply then prioritising the areas with highest demand and lowest cost to provide is sensible practice. BT do this all the time.

if we are working on a constant stream of demand then what benefit is there in employing people just to answer queries we cannot as yet serve or provide an ETA too?

Contacting us after you enquire with a spiteful rant or posting said rant on a forum does nothing to improve your chances of receiving a service. the relationship between potential customer and supplier is two way.

--

With reference to pre-sales and forum rants. If the forum rants are only from those who want the service and not those who have it then that shows the service is desirable , valued and worth waiting for.

Expanding the sales side would have no benefit at this time. Expanding the installation team would however and this has already happened in areas of highest demand.

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
It doesn't seem to be the problem of coverage or expansion leading to not being able to get the service.
From what I read in this thread it seems people just don't even get responded to. You could at a minimum put a notice on the "Register your interest" page saying that due to demand you might not be able to respond, or e-mail or call back those who enquire who you are "de-prioritizing" so they don't sit for months on end attempting to contact you or waiting for contact from you.
"Expectation management".

I've heard similar stories from multiple people about the delays and lack of contact when trying to get your service.. But I also do know someone who managed to get a successful install about 1.5 years ago and is happy with the Kijoma service and reliability and continues to be a customer to this day.

It may work for those who have it; sort out the pre-sales side and you may find your internet reviews and "rants" change. The "Small company" excuse isn't good enough; Let people know they won't be responded to or expand your sales side to cope.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Nov-12 15:58:53
Print Post

Just reading the post, it goes toward abolishing any form of responsibility on Kijoma.

Admittedly the customer isn't always right, but having the right attitude when dealing with them certainly helps get customers and retain them.

Edited by benbird7 (Sat 03-Nov-12 21:10:31)

Standard User drsox
(member) Sat 17-Nov-12 02:49:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by kijoma:
We prefer to [..] not fall into the standard ISP model of chasing new customers at the expense of the current ones.

Looks like current ones also suffer frown
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/reviews/5670.html

Tom - www.mouselike.org
Standard User Hen4732
(newbie) Thu 02-May-13 16:10:08
Print Post

[re: drsox] [link to this post]

I have been trying to contact Kijoma to purchase their services for close to 6 months using the ridiculous Google Forms method on their .Net, .co.uk and .com addresses.

No response, nothing to even say my submission has arrived.

No simple, "No you can't have it" or "You can have it it will take xxx long."

I tried to connect with Bill Lewis via LinkedIn but that was blocked for spam reasons. The registered telephone number is various business directories is disconnected.

I've never had to try so hard to give someone my hard earned money!

It's completely bonkers, SamKnows lists Kijoma as an available service, their web site confirms it and because I am ridiculously far away from my cabinet even when they fibre that up it will make precious difference.

I am even considering paying the £1000's to lay Fibre to my home because Kijoma was my last hope of any decent broadband....

Bill if you are alive, respond so that I and other friends and colleagues can make you a successful business man!
Standard User partial
(committed) Fri 14-Mar-14 21:29:42
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Be interesting to see how Kijoma moves forward now that BT, Sky and TalkTalk are moving in to their core areas via BDUK.

In reply to a post by partial:
Trouble is, Bill. This thread goes back years and your potential punters are all telling the same story year after year.

Indeed I have heard similar and worse first hand from punters in your area.

It's always the fault of the punter, the fault of the council. the fault of BT.

You need to up your game cos your service is viewed as second best by the punters and when the BDUK cash is out there and you are not at the party, you may find the game changes quickly.

Second best, poor customer service, ignored emails, berating potential punters and partners on t'internet and no longer a captive market who are forced to put up with lacklustreness.

You are some way off being first choice and second choice is going to come under extreme pressure as we move forward and you face real BDUK competition from BT, Sky and TalkTalk.

Best of luck out there.

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Sat 15-Mar-14 10:47:55
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Yes it will be interesting to see who gains and who loses as a result of the targeting of Kijoma and other genuine commercial provider coverage areas by Openreach.

It is kind of complementary that they consider Kijoma worthwhile of this attention to be honest.

Your comment should leave a bad taste in many a mouth though to be fair, Especially those who run small businesses.

The summary of it appears to be "a highly profitable multinational company receives £Bn's of state benefits to compete with genuine commercial companies" .

I am sure this makes you feel really proud? The areas of the country who haven't benefited from your sponsors wonderous service for over 12 years may now be able to bask in the warm glow of constantly hiked line rentals and call centre hell just like everybody else.

Of course if they take up a Business service then they will gain a 24 hour fix time on line faults too.. well except if OpenReach happen to be busy or the right type of line engineer isn't available. Then it can be a week or more with no offer of compensation.

It has been more than noted that with state cash in hand, at least half of it from County tax payers such as myself/Kijoma that Openreach have used this money to target a competitor in West Sussex, not to target the people/businesses currently suffering the awful/diabolical OpenReach fed phone line based ADSL mess but those who already have a satisfactory option.

If this doesn't count as misuse of public funding then I would like to be informed of what it does classify as?

As for what it will do for Kijoma, not much really . The Openreach products of FTTC/FTTP have viability thresholds and distance/cost limitations that will only serve to create an even greater Have/Have not divide in exactly the same way as ADSL did all those years ago.

Are Openreach going to tap up the public purse to fit FTTC cabinets for every small hamlet in the country? I very much doubt this will work and DCMS are gradually realising this, as usual for gov departments though they always realise after they have blown the cash.

The potential effect of this benefit cheque driven "competition" though is real enough. Openreach may render it non viable for providers such as Kijoma to continue to provide a super fast service to the many areas that OR have no hope of ever providing to.

I can imagine Partial and all the other shills using social media/forums to push an agenda will have a party to celebrate if that happens.

Will the party be financed out of the public purse too? Hardly needs an answer does it.

Well done ..

In reply to a post by partial:
Be interesting to see how Kijoma moves forward now that BT, Sky and TalkTalk are moving in to their core areas via BDUK.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Standard User smurf46
(member) Sat 15-Mar-14 11:13:00
Print Post

My halfpenny worth: I just wish we could get beyond the soundbite argument. Headline speed isn't everything.

I have both 10 Mbps symmetrical Fixed Wireless and 30Mbps+ commercial VDSL2. The Fixed Wireless allows me to do everything I want to, and is nearly perfectly consistent and reliable. VDSL2 is congested, variable and less reliable. Everything is horses for courses. Others will have different experience and I may be an exception. Competition, even if perceived as unfair, and price are the name of the game in the modern world for all of us. None of us can change it, only live with it. And make it more or less difficult for ourselves. What impresses me about my Wireless provider is they never complain and where their service falls down, they quietly improve it. Takes time sometimes, but at least I can see they have been getting on with it.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to