User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(committed) Tue 27-Jan-15 22:00:50
Print Post

Re: Any experience of Kijoma?

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

To be fair, Bill. People are at liberty to ask you questions about customer installation numbers on the forum. Especially given the apparent 'unique' customer service you give to potential and existing punters.

After all, you are not adverse to sticking in FOI requests to the long suffering Parish Clerks in your 'monopoly' areas. crazy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Jan-15 12:14:24
Print Post

As we are mentioned I believe we have a right to respond

Posters are allowed their opinions, and that does mean that parties may not agree on things, but so long as people are arguing within the site rules then it can remain.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Wed 28-Jan-15 12:40:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I cannot disagree with your comment , i was referring to messrs "Batboy" and his blatant troll comment. It brought nothing to the discussion apart from emphasising why many will avoid the forums.

Combine this with "Partial" the OR shill and his non contributions , it is no wonder this particular basement forum category is all but dead.

The only people who post on here to complain about Kijoma are those who want it and don't have it for whatever reason. The few customers who have taken to posting praising for the service have been ignored or ridiculed.

The forum is therefore zero value to our business and customers as it appears for all the other FWA operators who no longer post in here.

If that is the plan for the site and therefore acceptable then fine, it is your site after all.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As we are mentioned I believe we have a right to respond

Posters are allowed their opinions, and that does mean that parties may not agree on things, but so long as people are arguing within the site rules then it can remain.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Jan-15 13:30:21
Print Post

You are entitled to your opinion and you have voiced it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chilting
(newbie) Wed 28-Jan-15 18:22:19
Print Post

Hello Bill
You made it clear to me back in April 2011 that your service wasn't available to me in West Chiltington. Since then I have been upgraded to FTTC but as I am 2km from the cabinet my speed is only 3.5Mpbs. WSCC tell me that I have two providers to my postcode and they are unable to guarantee any future funding to improve my broadband because it would be considered by the EU to be overbuilding. They don't name you as the other supplier but I can only assume that they must be referring to you. Could you please confirm if you are still unable to supply broadband to West Chiltington. My postcode is RH20 2JX.
Thank you.
Peter
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 29-Jan-15 20:51:02
Print Post

[re: chilting] [link to this post]

Hi,

The situation with West Chiltington , or at least the part we currently do not cover, is a complex one.

Kijoma had looked at extending service and had mentioned this to those who enquired in the area. From this we stated we would need more demand to make the additional infrastructure expense viable.

The village had put a strong 300 ? or so response into the race to infinity so we knew a lot more than 5 or 6 people needed service. We also noted how much the local politicians all pushed/backed this process.

We tried to engage with the community and were invited to join the community forum by its admin, this we did. However as soon as we joined and posted about the proposal the forum administrator took to making baseless derogatory remarks about Kijoma.

I responded by asking why we had been asked to join the forum only to receive abuse, the net result was all the posts were removed and our account closed by the admin.

A total of 2 posts..

From this as a viewing guest we saw the push for a wireless solution via another provider on the Isle of Wight. This was accompanied by a post by the site admin that stated wrongly that Kijoma had refused to cover the area because it was not viable. 5 enquiries was not viable true, but 20 or more and it would of been.

As there were no more than 5 enquiries for our service we did no pursue expansion into the related area.

As it turned out the IoW solution failed to materialise and most recently FTTC has rolled out out of the public purse , this has left we suspect a lot of properties out of range of this provision. Fortunatrly most of them are already Kijoma customers and have been for many years.

The difficulty here is that if the properties that remain without are only a few and some are also not within our current coverage then adding more coverage is not going to be a viable commercial option.

Kijoma receives no external funding. Investments we make come out of our customers pockets and as such it is our duty to ensure it is spent wisely and ultimately productively.

With reference to "overbuilding" , that seems to be an excuse we have heard many people given recently when it comes to not investing BDUK funds into FTTx in some areas of the county.

Kijoma are often named as active in the area and people are told they cannot overbuild our network.

Perhaps it maybe an idea to ask WSCC why are they spending a inordinate amount of money running FTTP to the exchange areas of Sutton and East Marden when these areas have over 95% take up and 99% coverage from Kijoma and have had since 2005 ?

Perhaps also ask them why they use the excuse above when they have told us in writing that as far as they are concerned Kijoma's service is only "basic" i.e. 2 Mbps and is not considered super fast.

This automatically gives them clearance to finance overbuild, as they have done so already in quite a few areas of the county. If you look at their BDUK spending maps and our coverage map you will see an unsurprising correlation.

No sane and seasoned ISP is going to place long term investment into new service areas in the current climate of BDUK fuelled uncertainty.

Your 3.5 Mbps meets the government objective of 2 Mbps minimum so that box has been ticked.

In reply to a post by chilting:
Hello Bill
You made it clear to me back in April 2011 that your service wasn't available to me in West Chiltington. Since then I have been upgraded to FTTC but as I am 2km from the cabinet my speed is only 3.5Mpbs. WSCC tell me that I have two providers to my postcode and they are unable to guarantee any future funding to improve my broadband because it would be considered by the EU to be overbuilding. They don't name you as the other supplier but I can only assume that they must be referring to you. Could you please confirm if you are still unable to supply broadband to West Chiltington. My postcode is RH20 2JX.
Thank you.
Peter

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:09:57
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Yes, people may ask what they like, but like BT refusing to tell the PAC (Public accounts committee) yesterday where the areas they were not going to cover were, despite admitting they knew, does not mean we have to answer it.

It is good to see you take interest in local politics too, albeit relating to an FoI request made 3-4 years ago.

Perhaps you would like to fill the forum in with some detail on that FoI request and what information it revealed?

Anybody can search whatdotheyknow.com and find the full transcripts of the requests.

Part of what it revealed was blatant defamatory commentary against Kijoma between two council officials, information which went on to form the fraudulent basis of the funding claim for the extensive and expensive work undergoing today.

The FoI request was made due to the complete change in attitude by the county council to Kijoma once the BDUK process started. Demonstrated and evidenced many times on their website via FUD and lies about the Fixed wireless service present.

We even had the head of their Broadband programme put it in writing , counter signed by the leader of the council that although recognising the good speeds and pricing, as far as they were concerned our service did not exist.

It will all come out in the end, the PAC committee, albeit not very effectively yet, are at least now investigating and asking questions about the value for money for the ~£2Bn given to BTOR.

In reply to a post by partial:
To be fair, Bill. People are at liberty to ask you questions about customer installation numbers on the forum. Especially given the apparent 'unique' customer service you give to potential and existing punters.

After all, you are not adverse to sticking in FOI requests to the long suffering Parish Clerks in your 'monopoly' areas. crazy

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Standard User partial
(committed) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:23:04
Print Post

[re: chilting] [link to this post]

With Kijoma, It's always somebody else's fault...
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Sat 31-Jan-15 10:06:13
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
With Kijoma, It's always somebody else's fault...

This does seem a rather unfair comment...

I also run a wireless ISP in Hampshire, and we are facing the same issues as Kijoma. Namely, that BT are cloaking the taxpayer-funded deployment in secrecy, and we have no idea whether the investment we make in wireless infrastructure will be overbuilt by taxpayer money or not. Consequently from a commercial perspective, it makes sense for us to sit it out and see what materialises, and only deploy wireless service where

1) BT/BDUK have no sensible way of delivering. (small cabinet, long D-sides, no power, planning problems etc etc)

2) Areas where the cab is already FTTC but long D-sides make it useless.

3) where one or more customers are willing to fund the total deployment cost, with a rebate plan should other users take the service.

Until the BDUK scheme is open to detailed public scrutiny on a per cabinet, full postcode/address disclosure, I think it is fair to state that the current process is restricting commercially funded deployment of other solutions such as mine and Kijoma's. Don't forget, we get no public funding and we need to make a profit in order to eat.

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Fast wireless broadband for Basingstoke www.hiwifi.co.uk
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 05-Feb-15 10:43:30
Print Post

[re: gr0mit] [link to this post]

Hi,

Sadly it is the kind of arrogant remark I have become used to from Partial, if he speaks for the organisation he promotes/works for? Then he is no better than a professional dole scrounger who gloats about buying something working people work hard to afford.

What with all the cash the BT group are throwing about with acquisitions at the moment I would guess it is only a matter of time before somebody in Government with some teeth shows up and investigates the abuses.

At present plenty of rope has been let out, lets hope it gets reeled in soon so genuine businesses can operate without the uncertainty.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to