User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(committed) Thu 05-Feb-15 22:58:19
Print Post

Re: Any experience of Kijoma?

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kijoma:
Hi,

Sadly it is the kind of arrogant remark I have become used to from Partial, if he speaks for the organisation he promotes/works for? Then he is no better than a professional dole scrounger who gloats about buying something working people work hard to afford.

What with all the cash the BT group are throwing about with acquisitions at the moment I would guess it is only a matter of time before somebody in Government with some teeth shows up and investigates the abuses.

At present plenty of rope has been let out, lets hope it gets reeled in soon so genuine businesses can operate without the uncertainty.

Sadly, i am well used to Kijoma's vitriol. It's always somebody else's fault.

Me, BT, Parish Councils, County Councils and the government. As well as those who have the cheek to expect emails to be answered.

In the case of West Chiltington, we have an exchange that was shut and moved to Storrington way back in the 80s. Leaving customers on long lines ripe for Kijoma to exploit..

Kijoma had the chance to roll out to 'chilting' way before BDUK was even dreamed of. They could roll out to 'chilting' today. They choose not to possibly due to comments on an internet forum nigh on 10 years ago? crazy

It's always somebody else's fault.
Standard User mikejp
(regular) Thu 05-Feb-15 23:18:46
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

"They choose not to possibly due to comments on an internet forum nigh on 10 years ago?" - no, partial - it was actually because he could not be bothered/was too stretched/etc etc. You will also note that he lies about coverage in the area on his 'map', which claims he 'covers' our 'chilting' but then admits here on this thread that he cannot - is that not mis-representation? He has a 'few' customers right on the west end of the exchange area in Nutbourne as far as I know.

As to only getting '5 enquiries' - probably because people knew it was a complete waste of time? The proof was - and is - all over the internet if you search - yes -
"those who have the cheek to expect emails to be answered.." as you put it. I had to hunt him down thouugh several of his many house moves around the south to get a phone number and that didn't do much either. You cannot say we did not try, but it is horses and water. Ask WSCC.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Fri 06-Feb-15 19:21:39
Print Post

You may believe what you like.

Where are all the other companies rushing to put a service in there? , you completely forget the "race to infinity" and the "click4internet" proposal, not to mention the DIY wifi plan. the comments were not 10 years ago i can assure you.

The term "make your bed ,now lie in it" comes to mind, how is a commercial company meant to react to hostile negativity and a desire to do anything else but use their service?

We certainly were not going to invest with the demand of ~5 people and the back drop of the other points mentioned.

We ask you not to forget Kijoma already provide service to many areas around WC and have done for ~10 years. This is because the people there genuinely wanted the service and asked for it.

If you have a sore head because the decisions made and the direction took has not resulted in a super fast solution for you then that is not a fault of Kijoma.

We did try and engage on more than one occasion, the confirmed demand never met our thresholds.

If you have evidence to the contrary then please provide it. Find 20+ properties in need and we will look into it again. It is that simple.

We are not out to exploit anybody , there are or were plenty of sharks out there charging £50+ for 2 Mbps , our prices have not risen in 10 years but the allowances and speeds have all increased. That is not the action of an exploitive company.

This year new infrastructure will mean even faster speeds and new tariffs with even better value.. Our customers are effectively paying for this so they deserve the benefits first.

thank you

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(committed) Fri 06-Feb-15 22:48:30
Print Post

We are now regularly seeing reports here of punters in West Sussex apparently being told by the council that they are not in scope for further BDUK investment because Kijoma operate in their area.

Yet Kijoma apparently do not want to sign up those customers. Perhaps this is because of comments made on an internet forum way back when and wishing that those punters have made their bed and should lie on it?

I can understand Kijoma wishing to protect their monopoly areas from competition and the great lengths they have gone to to try to protect their monopoly.

I find it difficult to understand why Kijoma spend so much time, effort and moaning trying to prevent BDUK investment in areas they have no intention of serving.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 07-Feb-15 17:52:54
Print Post

I am one such West Sussex resident. Cabinet upgraded but to far away, not allowed FTTP because Kijoma operate in my area! Never heard back from an enquiry though.

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Mon 23-Mar-15 07:35:41
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I'm reselling an Orbital connection to one of my customers in a small business park with little sign of FTTP, and the experience with them is superb. Pretty good communication (not perfect, but the install was planned for early Jan '14 - remember the weather then ?). It's a 10Mbps symmetric connection - it's not cheap, but it does support both their remote desktop connectivity and VoIP connections for around 6 users very well.
So - if Orbital/VFast can communicate effectively, and deliver too, in rural Kent, what exactly is different in West Sussex that means Kijoma can't, and why is this apparently all the fault of BT/Government/County Council/Parish Councils ??
This really is a serious question and not a troll - I'm deeply disappointed that public money is going into a satellite "broadband" trial - it's as if gamers don't exist !! Apart from the really isolated properties at the bottom of valleys, it seems that terrestrial wireless is a much superior technical - and in theory commercial - solution for the deeply rural areas where community fibre doesn't happen. So the success, or otherwise, of providers using this technology is crucial.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Wed 25-Mar-15 10:38:42
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

Hi,

I agree with your comments on satellite and it can easily be seen why HM gov is going down that route. "Satellite covers everywhere" so it is an easy tick box tick when trying to cover up the extensive funding of FTTC/P that has missed so many out,

The unsuitability of Satellite for anything real time is not something they understand or care for i suspect. Headline speed is.

Fixed Wireless is a fast growing technology and can fulfil the demand in the final 5% or whatever buzzword they like to use currently. We have been doing it for over 10 Years here.

Your Orbital example is a good one, as you say it may not be cheap but it is effective. Unfortunately a lot of business estates/units here want to pay "talk talk" prices and gain "leased line" service in our experience then moan because we do not rush to provide this.

I am unsure why you think Kijoma does not communicate effectively? If it is based on the handful of non customer gripes on this Forum over the last 10 years of Kijoma service then I think you are being less than fair/balanced.

Kijoma provides service to areas in 5 counties, West Sussex being the largest. We look after existing customers first and connect new ones accordingly. We as an early adopter of the technology have had to replace some of our networks and client aerials three times in order to keep up to date with technology and performance. This take time and precedence over new demand.

The cost to the end customer has not risen as a result and it also means we do not have a deluge of complaints from existing customers on here. Kijoma receive ZERO public funding so we have no contractual obligation to rush to any particular area or meet the demands of impatient people.

We are not blaming the councils/gov/Bduk as they are not directly affecting our business at present, what we are pointing out is the uncertainty / market distortion that has taken place as a result of the process.

It is one thing to have a state funded competitor, but the situation worsens when the Local Authority plan/strategy seeks to demonise the existence of our service in order to promote the further funding/support of the state aided competitor.

Where is the justification in funding the miles of overhead/ducted FIbre (FTTP) to two remote domestic properties for example when they already haver a 30Mbps+ service ?

Equally for another hamlet of 3 houses and a pub , also all with the same incumbent service and none of the residents demanding anything else?

There is a fast growing list of inordinate expenditure within areas of the county of West Sussex where a commercial service already exists and meets the objective.

Likewise there is an equally growing list of areas where there are no commercial high speed services available. Here the residents and businesses are being told by the LA that they are not eligible for a BDUK funded solution.

One reason they often give is "Because Kijoma cover the area" , which they stick to even if we declare we do not cover that particular location. This means they are using us as an invalid excuse when it is convenient but happy to FTTP overbuild areas with 100% take up.

If you or others do not think Kijoma should raise these issues then that is your view, I however feel there is some seriously fraudulent mis-use of public funds here.

State aid is to be used to resolve otherwise commercially unresolvable issues, not to fund competitive solutions from companies that can easily afford to do this off their own back but refused to historically as it "wasn't profitable/viable".

I, like you will watch with interest as the latest satellite fiasco unfolds.. The 100 Mbps target they recently set will be another "vote winner" bit of vapourware to watch too.

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Wed 25-Mar-15 11:14:45
Print Post

HI Partial

Another non Impartial response from you i see.

We are not trying to protect "our monopoly" as you put it. Since when does a company become an evil monopoly just because other companies refuse to invest in an area?

If that is the case then there are a mass of village shops and pubs out there who are evil monopolies because they are the only one and charge higher than big supermarkets/pub chains!

Perhaps they should have state funded competitors (tesco/pub co) installed in the respective villages? What a ludicrous claim to make?!?

Now if you want a clearer definition of monopolistic behaviour then where better to look what is happening at present?

West Sussex is unique in that it has three exchanges that do not even have ADSL. Why not you ask? well because the infrastructure provider declared them commercially unviable.

This means all the parasitic providers that use said infrastructure were unable to provide there too.

Result = No Broadband.

There were many attempts over the years by councils and other quango's/bodies to force these exchanges to be ADSL enabled. Refusal met them every time.

These areas would still have NO broadband at all had Kijoma not made a workable sustainable business model and applied it there. Although to be fair some places in the last couple of months have gained a patchy 3g service option.

Which company do you think behaves in a monopolistic way? The one who waited over 10 years for a significant state handout before doing anything, or the one who put its hand in its own pocket and built out a solution 10 years ago?

As i have stated time and time before, Kijoma has no issue with other companies providing a service in the same areas we provide, if they invest their own money into doing so.

Kijoma will not be driven by self serving bullies who only turn to us when their preferred solution fails either. We are fulfilling demand in the most cost effective way for us and balancing this with the all important upgrade and preventative maintenance work.

Now i know you are in West Chiltington then you are more than aware of my previous messages over the years whereby we declared we would need to see adequate demand to warrant expenditure on a new access aerial.

This was set at a modest 20 threshold , over 500 pushed for "race to infinity" there so where is the difficulty?

It isn't rocket science surely?

You could of course vent your anger at Openreach/BT instead, they may need more than 20 though. But if you stamp and scream at WSCC i am sure they will provide the pocket money for it.

Just tell them Kijoma are about to invest in the area, that seems to speed up FTTC/P roll out as it did in WC for when Kijoma did the same back when WC was unviable for ADSL.

I don't expect to hear anything balanced or im-partial from you in response to be honest, but you are welcome to surprise me?

thank you
In reply to a post by partial:
We are now regularly seeing reports here of punters in West Sussex apparently being told by the council that they are not in scope for further BDUK investment because Kijoma operate in their area.

Yet Kijoma apparently do not want to sign up those customers. Perhaps this is because of comments made on an internet forum way back when and wishing that those punters have made their bed and should lie on it?

I can understand Kijoma wishing to protect their monopoly areas from competition and the great lengths they have gone to to try to protect their monopoly.

I find it difficult to understand why Kijoma spend so much time, effort and moaning trying to prevent BDUK investment in areas they have no intention of serving.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Standard User mikejp
(regular) Wed 25-Mar-15 12:03:58
Print Post

Well, Mr K - "One reason they often give is "Because Kijoma cover the area", which they stick to even if we declare we do not cover that particular location." - having worked with WSCC on the issue I am sure they are just a bit confused by your coverage map telling porkies? EG you show generous coverage of West Chiltington on your map (and you have somehow persuaded Sam Knows too) which just does not exist, as you told Chilting and indeed posted yourself just now! I wonder if they just don't believe much of it so maybe they just take the easy option?
"Now i know you are in West Chiltington then you are more than aware of my previous messages over the years whereby we declared we would need to see adequate demand to warrant expenditure on a new access aerial."

Did you submit an EOI? If so, what did you say about West Chiltington?

Petards and hoist come to mind. I believe the saying is something about 'some of the people some of the time'? You sowed the seeds of your 'relationship' with WSCC many years back, I'm afraid, and well pre-dates my and most in the village's involvement.
Standard User partial
(committed) Wed 25-Mar-15 21:30:31
Print Post

Thanks for your thoughts. I think it is well known in this forum your thoughts on the barriers to Kijoma getting on. Me, various councils, BT, the government, comments on village forums etc.

Just so we are clear on State Funding, Has Kijoma ever received grants from councils? Has it ever been suggested that councils should subsidise installation costs?

Edited by partial (Wed 25-Mar-15 21:32:32)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to