User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jjrobb
(newbie) Tue 15-Sep-09 09:57:29
Print Post

Re: Any experience of Kijoma?

[re: jjrobb] [link to this post]

An update on my Kijoma wireless speeds - My connection has been tweaked (I believe it is an udate to the aerial control box firmware) and my connection speeds are even better:

www.speedtest.net results to Maidenhead server (50 miles away)
Download - 11.73 Mb/s
Upload - 1.61 Mb/s
Ping - 25ms

Amazing when the alternative (where I live) would have been at best a flaky 512k connection down a BT line.
Standard User Arcticpollen
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-09 19:22:30
Print Post

JJRobb - glad to hear you have had such good service from Kijoma. Others have not been quite so fortunate.

Despite myself and Berek99 doing exactly what Bill asked us to do by mailing him our details again, then following that up with a PM direct to Bill, neither of us have heard anything back at all.

The Kijoma coverage map clearly seems to imply that we are both within a suitable area around Horsham but perhaps the map is overly optimistic and theyare not able to offer coverage after all. In any case, even a polite reply to repeated enquiries would have been better than the deafening silence we have both had to date.

At this rate, it will be an interesting race to see if I get a reply from Kijoma before BT get round to running some fibre out to my cabinet from the Horsham exchange. At least that would drop my line length to about 1500 metres.

Ho hum.
Standard User jjrobb
(newbie) Fri 18-Sep-09 00:15:35
Print Post

[re: Arcticpollen] [link to this post]

I'm sorry to hear that your experience of Kijoma (or should I say 'lack of experience' due to no communication from them) has been poor. It did take them a while (over a week) to reply to my initial enquiry and I do think this is an area they need to desperately improve.

However, if you are able to get a successful installation completed then the service is second to none - my options would have been satellite (expensive & high latency) or BT phone line (slow) - mobile broadband has no coverage where I live.

You do need to have reasonable line of sight contact to one of their aerials for the service to work. I'm not sure where your local Kijoma aerials are located but in my area there are two on Blackdown Hill and I have decent coverage from one of them. If trees or buildings block your view of local hills then you will have a problem unless a suitable site can be found for your aerial installation.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 18-Sep-09 01:31:45
Print Post

Thanks for the reply - I'm sure the service is very good if you can get it!

In the absence of any response from Kijoma, it might be more useful if their website gave the location of the aerials rather than the more generic coverage area maps.

I have given Bill my postcode and a description of the location but still no response. If there is a technical reason why he can't cover my area then I would be quite happy to accept that Kijoma is not for me.

I live on a new development of some 50 3 storey houses so we all have reasonable potential mounting points for antennae. We all suffer from extremely long telephone lines as we are serviced by the Horsham exchange which is only 3000m as the crow flies but have effective line lengths in excess of 6-7000m.

Bill - all you have to do is say "sorry, it's not possible" and I'll forget all about it and wish you all the best. If it can be done, then you have my e-mail address!
Standard User kijoma
(regular) Sun 20-Sep-09 00:14:20
Print Post

[re: Arcticpollen] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the review jjrobb, always glad to provide a service. You are on the western edge of our service area (Near Fernhurst) and its good to see you still get good speed as advertised. For reference the radio link distances in total to your house are 42 km .

With reference to Arcticpollen etc.. I can only apologise that we have not got to your area yet to survey. We receive anything up to 40 enquiries like yours a day and as such we have to prioritise these into a sensible order based on coverage and demand per region.

Much that we would like to try and please everybody the minute they enquire, it is just not practical for a small company to do.. We instead focus on getting the demand met at a rate we can work at where the quality of the installation and service provided are not in anyway compromised. this means surveys and detailed map analysis, not "lob it up and hope.."

We pride ourselves in having a very low support requirement, sometimes days or weeks go past without a single support call and then the ones we get are usually due to the less than satisfactory national grid electricity distribution in some areas.

Taking out your frustration on a public forum at having a poor ADSL broadband service and then trying to attribute it to Kijoma not rushing to your aid is not exactly fair.

Thank You

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
High Speed Wireless broadband ISP
The UK's top rated Wireless ISP 2005 - 2008 - ISP Review
Top 5 finalist in best UK wireless ISP - ISPA's 2008
Members of the Internet Service Providers association (www.ISPA.org.uk)
http://www.kijoma.net
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Sep-09 19:42:19
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Perhaps if you replied to these 40 requests a day, even to explain the situation, you'd be in receipt of fewer negative comments..?

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User kijoma
(regular) Sun 20-Sep-09 20:24:36
Print Post

Kijoma - installation schedule

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

hi,

I agree, an automated responder would no doubt help? or perhaps a "call center" who can be programmed to say the same thing..? . It wouldn't mean they got installed any faster though so that would be a pointless cost..

The contact form advises people who use it that there will be a delay due to the workload of actually installing a service to people.. This is our prime objective , not answering a mass of enquiries everyday..

It is always nice to be popular and in demand as a supplier but resources have to be used to their best effect, sometimes people will have to wait longer for a response... sometimes they cannot tolerate the wait and retract their request or take to airing their views in public.

This we accept is their choice but I will not allow Kijoma to become reactive and start installing those who shout loudest or are the most abusive to the detriment of others on the efficient planned area response/install rotation system we use now.

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-09 22:16:18
Print Post

Re: Kijoma - installation schedule

I agree, an automated responder would no doubt help? or perhaps a "call center" who can be programmed to say the same thing..?
The problem obviously is that you risk alienating your potential customers who will give you negative reviews. I can only imagine you hadn't thought of this before starting. I strongly recommend you give it some thought now and deal with it. It's likely to become a big problem.
Standard User kijoma
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-09 20:05:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I agree, an automated responder would no doubt help? or perhaps a "call center" who can be programmed to say the same thing..?
The problem obviously is that you risk alienating your potential customers who will give you negative reviews. I can only imagine you hadn't thought of this before starting. I strongly recommend you give it some thought now and deal with it. It's likely to become a big problem.

Hi,

This is true, we do risk alienating potential customers who are unable to be patient enough to wait.. We would rather have negative reviews from people about not getting a service when they demand than have negative reviews from the customers we already have..

I do not agree that it will become a big problem, yes we may lose potential customers until we grow enough to bolt on more customer facing staff but this is the situation for all small businesses. Larger businesses have teams of installer monkeys and call centres but none of them, at least where we cover, do what we do, i.e. Provide a "fast for all" broadband service and at ADSL like prices.

If we doubled our service fees then we could add more staff, would the potential lost customers then bother to enquire in the first place? , i doubt it.

So as i said, negative reviews for not having our service we can live with as long as those we connect every day are happy and get the service they ordered..

When you say before starting, we started this nearly 5 years ago, the broadband industry was a completely different beast back then and people's expectations or frustrations were nowhere near what they are today, mainly due to the broadening gap between advertised headline speeds and actual throughput on xDSL services.. Our service offerings were a meagre 6 Mbps back then, but at the time most people had 512k. via ADSL...

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
(newbie) Fri 09-Oct-09 12:04:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by kijoma:
It is always nice to be popular and in demand as a supplier but resources have to be used to their best effect, sometimes people will have to wait longer for a response... sometimes they cannot tolerate the wait and retract their request or take to airing their views in public.

This we accept is their choice but I will not allow Kijoma to become reactive and start installing those who shout loudest or are the most abusive to the detriment of others on the efficient planned area response/install rotation system we use now.

cheers

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry that this thread has provoked some more negative comments but I don't accept the implication that myself or Berek99 have shouted loudest or been anyway abusive. It seems that most of the content posted on the thread is fair comment and I entirely accept that you are a busy small business and quite within your rights to run it as you see fit.

That said, you did specifically invite us to re-submit our enquiries which we both did. If I'm honest, my frustration isn't with my current broadband service but it's how tantalisingly close Kijoma are to being able to provide a service to me that I first enquired about with you nearly 15 months ago!

I understand what it's like running a small business but as I've said before, some idea of a likely timescale or a definitive "sorry, we can't cover your area" is all I'm really after.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to