User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(committed) Sat 15-Mar-14 22:53:02
Print Post

Re: Any experience of Kijoma?

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

My own thoughts are that no taxpayer money should be spent on broadband rollout and it should be left to the market. However, if you are going to spend taxpayers money you should give it to Openreach as they are the ones that have the brands people want to buy, will deliver the project and won't go bust.

I think you will come under intense pressure now. I think you have wasted your advantage. I think you were always second best to the punters and punters won't need to plead with you to answer emails much longer.

I advise looking at becoming a FTTC reseller.

Edited by partial (Sat 15-Mar-14 22:54:06)

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Tue 18-Mar-14 17:02:23
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Your initial thought is commendable and I would agree that public money should not of been handed out for Broadband Roll out at all.

All it does is distort the marketplace and create a mass of false hope via vacuous claims.

Openreach is an infrastructure provider, the same as Virgin Media and all the mobile providers.

Openreach do not have any brands at all as they are meant to be provider agnostic..

It has been made clear over the years since the inception of ADSL though that having a single monopoly infrastructure model with parasitic ISP's has not worked.

What it means is if a phone line supports 1 Mbps then regardless of what ISP an end customer uses, they will gain no more than 1 Mbps. This is a physical fact and one I raised with Bill Murphy at a meeting. He had the audacity to deny this of course.

This can be extended to "Fibre" , if an end customer can gain ~5 Mbps over a long line to a cabinet then that is all they can get form ALL wholesale ISP's.

If the line is too long or poor then Openreach declare a no go and that customer drops to zero choice. Not a single "Brand" .

To add a bit more.. Openreach have refused for over a decade to even fit ADSL equipment in some exchanges, despite plenty of lobbying and pressure. This means NOBODY can gain any Broadband from the Brands that you say punters all want..

We heard that it wasn't economically viable for Openreach to do these exchanges. Is Openreach suffering cashflow problems so severe that they cannot fit a DSLAM into an exchange and pipe in some bandwidth?

How much of the "Brand" providers revenue is spent on customer support? On top of what they pay for capacity and connections onto Openreach infrastructure?

Why do they need such large support structures? Could it be because they have to take the front line abuse from the end customers of their service, due to the plethora of problems they have absolutely no control over on the Openreach infrastructure?

You suggest Kijoma becomes an Openreach based wholesale "Reseller"? Are you serious? We do not have a massive call centre set up to take the stream of problem calls, we do not need one now after all.

Yes of course signing up customers would be easier as we would be one of those parasites and we wouldn't need to physically do anything , just send em a router and threaten them with high Openreach derived costs if an engineer has to come out to connect them up or fix anything.

I know that many of our customers feel the grass will be greener on the other side and the adverts on TV and the endless flyers in the post are all factual and honest.

Many more realise from experience that what they have works well, they have a personal non call centre based support service if they need assistance. Their service is installed by an engineer and they are working and online before the engineer leaves the property.

If you consider the way the Openreach / BT wholesale system functions is the peak of excellence then i fear you may be declared delusional by many and corrected by many more.

The dig about unanswered emails is kind of ironic when you consider the reason why Kijoma and other smaller providers are overwhelmed with demand is down to the failings of the Wholesale structure you praise.

I do not see the £1.4Bn+ of tax payers money they have been handed so far is going to wipe out providers like Kijoma. Far from it.

As for going "bust" , perhaps if BT spent more on its own huge pension deficit then the Government would be less scared of having BT go bust and consequently having to pick up this deficit!

Large corporations like BT, Banks etc.. don't go bust after all.. do they? They just become public subsidised as failure is not an option.

You are of course welcome to check Kijoma's stability/growth via sites like companycheck.

In reply to a post by partial:
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

My own thoughts are that no taxpayer money should be spent on broadband rollout and it should be left to the market. However, if you are going to spend taxpayers money you should give it to Openreach as they are the ones that have the brands people want to buy, will deliver the project and won't go bust.

I think you will come under intense pressure now. I think you have wasted your advantage. I think you were always second best to the punters and punters won't need to plead with you to answer emails much longer.

I advise looking at becoming a FTTC reseller.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Standard User Karl2014
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 20:40:20
Print Post

I like the fact a Kijoma representative sticks up for their 'customer service' ok the truth of the matter, its Bill (MD) Not many companies have the MD defending the business in a forum. (To busy playing golf with bankers and Mr Murphy)

Apart from that I want to be a 'NEW' customer. No I dont want to wait! I do want decent Broadband Connection and consistent speed, as a customer with any provider thats a priority for me.

With Virgin at present, no data caps, no bottlenecks, they inform me I have 152Mbps connection speed. Last three months, no more than 40Mbps! Yes I have spent hours in their call centre queues. I'm almost more 'an expert' than the staff they employ deem to be.

In the process of moving to a slow spot. Derbyshire / Staffordshire borders. So have again been in call centre queues. This time with BT & Sky (Oh Dear)

Bill does state. Contented customers do not praise them enough for their (Kijomas) Customer Service / Provision on forums.

I will update forum on progress with Kijoma install.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User clyde123
(learned) Fri 18-Apr-14 18:19:38
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
, if you are going to spend taxpayers money you should give it to Openreach as they are the ones that have the brands people want to buy, will deliver the project and won't go bust.

I have no axe to grind in this thread/discussion, no dealings with Kijoma or any similar business.
But I saw this and just had to take exception to that statement!
To say that Openreach "have the brands people want to buy" is just baloney. OK, even assuming you mean BT, the vast, vast majority of customers don't even know there is anyone else other than BT. Maybe they can have Virgin. Or Sky. But that would be the extent of most people's perception of "brands".
No, that statement was either silly or intended to provoke.

As to "will deliver the project" -
I watched an Openreach engineer two weeks ago, him and his boss who got brought in, for two and three quarter hours. Looking in broom cupboards, climbing up into the loft, on the phone to goodness knows who all. This was to install a single PSTN line. You could see the cabinet just outside through the window. The job could not be done, seemingly, couldn't identify the right cables amongst the unused 50 or so pairs that already feed into that room. They left, job not done.

And then "won't go bust" - tell that to the taxpayers of UK, USA, and others who picked up the tab when other companies a few years ago were "too big to fail".
Standard User spinalman
(newbie) Tue 09-Sep-14 14:47:51
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I have tried to get a response from Kijoma. I completed their form twice - initially in june 2014. Bill are you still in business?

I have 100 residents south of Godalming ready to take a service. Am i wasting my time expecting a reply?
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Sep-14 15:41:21
Print Post

[re: spinalman] [link to this post]

Where exactly do you require service?

Kijoma run more as a hobby not an expanding business, they do what they like when they like and if they like, which is fine.

Feel free to PM me I can provide some free advice, having worked for a WISP before.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User spinalman
(learned) Wed 10-Sep-14 10:07:30
Print Post

I have PM's you.

We are in Surrey, South of Godalming and have around 100 residents outside the range of our fibre cabinet for super fast. We get 1- 3MBps down. We have no immediate prospect of improvement. We are mobilised and have a campaign, and ready to buy into an alternative solution. To me Kijoma appears dormant, but we are in line of sight of their Haslemere Black Down area, so there seems to be an opportunity. ... for want of a reply!
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Wed 10-Sep-14 11:41:33
Print Post

[re: spinalman] [link to this post]

Hi,

We have received your form submissions in August and September .

Your location as shown on our coverage maps is outside our currently served area.

Kijoma is very much in business and unlike many ISP's are presently upgrading our systems for the benefit of our existing customers in preference to expansion and chasing new customers.

Kijoma is a commercial company who's revenue comes from its customers, not grants or state funding, as such we endeavour to make investment decisions that benefit the people / businesses / schools that use and pay for our service.

As you are aware there is the BDUK programme, Surrey has all it's financial eggs in the BT basket, as does West Sussex. State funded competition is part of this process and unfortunately it has distorted the market whereby other non openreach dependent providers have a considerable level of uncertainty as to where to expand their services.

As you are not within a current coverage area then your enquiry would of not been responded to as a priority over the many enquiries we have within the areas we continue to invest heavily in that are covered.

Sorry we cannot be any more positive about your location at this time.

Thank you

In reply to a post by spinalman:
I have tried to get a response from Kijoma. I completed their form twice - initially in june 2014. Bill are you still in business?

I have 100 residents south of Godalming ready to take a service. Am i wasting my time expecting a reply?

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Wed 10-Sep-14 11:53:50
Print Post

hi,

I see the one of the regulars on the forum are not slow in using defamatory language as soon as something "non BT" appears.

I find the hobby comment astonishing, Isn't it BT that do what they like and when they like and if they like or are given Billions to do so ?

I hardly think a profitable company such as Kijoma that provides services using the revenue from their customers is a "Hobby" . Hobby ISP's are the ones that go bust because they do not take the service they provide seriously and/or they make ill fated decisions on where to invest.

This "Hobby" operates in 5 counties and sustainably for over 9 years.. recession, government policy and a particularly bullying state funded competitor have as yet not squashed it.

Whatever your experience of the WISP you formerly worked for is, i'd ask you not to defame ours based on your experiences.

To save you from difficulties i would strongly advise that you retract your comments via this forum please by Friday and provide assurances that you are not going to provide baseless defamatory information to the poster you originally responded to.

Thank you

In reply to a post by 5km:
Where exactly do you require service?

Kijoma run more as a hobby not an expanding business, they do what they like when they like and if they like, which is fine.

Feel free to PM me I can provide some free advice, having worked for a WISP before.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Standard User spinalman
(learned) Wed 10-Sep-14 12:10:00
Print Post

Thanks for the reply Bill,

We enquired as we are just 2km from your catchment area, and within line of sight of Blackdown Hill within your network.

A simple reply that Kijoma is not planning on expanding the network takes 10seconds and avoids the feeling I (and clearly many others) get that you are a dormant company.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to