User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User manc_rob
(newbie) Thu 09-Dec-10 13:23:10
Print Post

Re: Cotswold Wireless

[re: markybaby76] [link to this post]

I use the Cotswold Wireless 10Mbit/s service. It's a purely wireless service. They put a very small transmitter/receiver dish (a square box) as high as possible on your property - they put mine on the TV Aerial Mast. You need clear line of sight to their transmitter on the Braydon Water tower - you definitely need clear line of sight. The latency is half that of my ADSL - if I ping the BBC website I typically get 20ms compared to 40ms on ADSL. And download speeds for me are good at 8Mbits/s though this sometimes drops to 3-5 Mbit/s around peaks times - but not always. I was only getting 1Mbit/s second on ADSL. I've had two problems with loss of packets which both times they fixed rather promptly. They are not the greatest at replying to emails so I would phone if you need info. All in all I'd highly recommend the wireless broadband service - assuming you do indeed have line of sight to their transmitter. And it is better than rural super slow broadband in every respect - both in speed and latency. And the sevice can be used for online gaming and Skype. However, they don't like you to use the service for video streaming for lengthy periods of time - say watching a streamed movie for example.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 10-Dec-10 14:48:49
Print Post

[re: manc_rob] [link to this post]

Hmm maybe an issue then as I would like to use iPlayer. Looks like I will have to wait and see what Hylas 1 will offer next year
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-Mar-11 18:33:53
Print Post

[re: manc_rob] [link to this post]

Does anyone have a "proper" landline number for Cotswold Wireless (i.e. not the expensive 0844 number they advertise)?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(committed) Thu 07-Apr-11 22:13:49
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

e-mail them,

address on the website

CJT.

tongue

ON BT Total Broadband .

My Broadband Speed Test

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/986285088.png[/IMG]