User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 21-Mar-11 15:48:18
Print Post

Re: VFast Testing 100Mbit Service

[re: Jaxxeh] [link to this post]

Got to say i'm not that happy with the vhome package still having 2mbps upload.

The price is already really high compared to conventional broadband and the benefit used to be high upload, but now 2mbps isn't high at all.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Mar-11 21:29:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Q. Name an residential ISP with more than 2Mbps upload...

A. Be* Pro package at £22.44.

Not sure why your are complaining, the price compares well and you would have to live next door to a Be enabled exchange to get that speed.

BT infinity has a 2Mbps upload and costs £28pm + £10 line rental and 18 month contract.

Reality check needed perhaps?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 23:35:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Got to say i'm not that happy with the vhome package still having 2mbps upload.

The price is already really high compared to conventional broadband and the benefit used to be high upload, but now 2mbps isn't high at all.

The VMax package will give you 10mbps upload for an extra £13 if you really need it? 2Mbps is more than ample for most home users needs IMO.

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Mar-11 17:33:18
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

For the same price, BT offer 40mb down 10mb up, unlimited wifi, router included, phone etc.

You could even go for a cheaper package and that would give you the same upload, faster download, phone and you'd be saving lots of money that you can then spend on BT Vision.

I frequently find 2mb takes ages when I am uploading a youtube video, sending a file to someone or hosting a game online. I just don't see the reason why the upload speed did not increase. It used to be a really big attraction.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 21:56:22
Print Post

You have missed the point of Vfast's service. If BT infinity is available then by all means go with BT, it's your choice after all.

The thing is that BT will never enable most areas currently covered by Vfast. These areas are mostly market 1 exchanges and too far from the exchange to receive reliable ADSL often with speeds of only 1Mbps or less or even nothing at all.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Wed 23-Mar-11 14:58:06
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Am curious though, if VFast have (hopefully several) 100M+ pipes to the internet, that should be symmetric.
The radio links can equally well be symmetric oir weighted without degrading the service.

So why sell asymmetric packages at all when their backhaul does does not dictate that they need to.
There is no need to copy what ADSL had to do (favour the download to make a reasonable consumer experience over phone lines).

The future of the internet and IPv6 makes it easier for connected devices to have a permanent presence on the internet.
An aspect of that is hopefully we are able to be as much a producer of data as a consumer.

So why not give the product a clear advantage whether or not there is competition - symmetric as standard?

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t Max ADSL
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Mar-11 16:02:51
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

I can think of two reasons...

First, the wireless network is not "full duplex" - if you are transmitting data in one direction, you cannot transmit the other way at the same time. Thus it makes sense to heavily weight things in the direction that most people want them. Those that really do "need" symmetric tend to be businesses that are prepared to pay a lot more for the priviledge.

Second, whilst people still like to use PTP applications, having symmetric by default can clog up the wireless network with PTP uploads. These provide no direct benefit to the customers of the wisp but can end up costing the wisp a lot of money to cater for.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham
=======================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 24-Mar-11 12:30:49
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

I'm almost certain that VFast's equipment is full duplex.
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Mar-11 18:01:20
Print Post

nope

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham
=======================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-May-11 09:50:53
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Signed up to Vfast just over a week ago and was very excited to be getting speeds of more than 1mb download and 0.2 up (we are as far from a BT exchange as you can get I think).

Straight away the download was 9mb and upload 6 which is perfect for me as I would like to be able to send big files to my clients using ftp dropboxes or yousendit.

My only problem is that within this time, the connection has disappeared 4 times, meaning a call out to engineers (who have been very nice, honest and patient) and a 24hr wait until we have a working connection again. Over the time it has been installed it has 'not worked' more than it has worked, not a great start to doing business with Vfast, I was hoping they would be the solution to me working from home, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Apparently the problem is arising from power surges at the repeater host's property shorting out the hardware. Has anyone else experienced this? Did it ever get resolved? Is there another more reliable (quick) service available? I fear it's back to broadband with an unworkable 0.2mb upload speed.

HELP!!!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to