User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 30-Oct-10 16:45:19
Print Post

VFast Testing 100Mbit Service

[link to this post]

In reference to www.vfast.co.uk:
VFast Testing 100Mbit Service
Vfast are currently testing a 100Mbit product, we will shortly be contacting selected customers in Thanet, Maidstone & Kingshill.

Somebody here is on the Thanet network so this may be of interest to you.

**Edit** SlimJ - You're being served from the Thanet network aren't you?

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~10 mbps (megabits per second) - ~1250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Upstream ~2 mbps (megabits per second) - ~250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Sky MID
Downstream Att. ~62db - SNR ~5.5db - Sync - ~2784 Kbps
Upstream Att. ~31db - SNR ~16db - Sync - ~576 Kbps

Edited by Yaz (Sat 30-Oct-10 16:47:28)

Standard User darrenorbital
(newbie) Sat 30-Oct-10 22:01:32
Print Post

Re: VFast Testing 100Mbit Service

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

Hi Yaz,

We changed Slimj's equipment last week so he can go onto the new network, i think he is now getting around 20mbit before the trial smile

Where are you based ?

Regards
Darren
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sun 31-Oct-10 18:40:03
Print Post

[re: darrenorbital] [link to this post]

Hi Darren,

I'm served off of the Dunkirk mast overlooking Blean.

I spoke with yourself a few weeks back when I called to enquire about moving up onto the Max package.

Yasin

vFast Ltd
Sky MID

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 31-Oct-10 21:17:49
Print Post

Ah yes , i remember, we are doing Dunkirk this week and upgrading the backhaul the following week. We will then be upgrading end users. I would anticipate Dunkirk users getting similar speeds.

Regards
Darren
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Oct-10 22:07:10
Print Post

You beat me to it. 100Mbps is impressive head line speed, I wonder what the reality will be. Will be far faster than BT offer and a life line for those that can't get broadband through normal methods. Good to see Vfast are still pushing the limits. Would be good if they could get their coverage added to thinkbroadband maps!

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sun 31-Oct-10 23:59:48
Print Post

Thanks for the update Darren.

Looking forward to the coming months.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 01-Nov-10 00:25:25
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

It certainly is an impressive head line speed though I would expect a lower throughput in reality (IP overheads, contention etc.).

For those who are unlikely to benefit from traditional broadband methods, wireless services are still needed to plug the gap. I will continue to follow the rollout of FTTC/P (Canterbury is set to be upgraded Sept 2011) as having options is always a good thing.

Last but not least, I submitted a Coverage ticket last week regarding the ThinkBroadBand Maps and Jonathan said that this had been mentioned.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Nov-10 00:33:08
Print Post

FYI Canterbury is scheduled for some time 2012 now. Keeps slipping! Was 31st March 2011, then September 2011 then September 2012 and now some time by end of 2012. Hopefully this will mean FTTH when Canterbury finally gets done. Gives Vfast plenty of time to offer their service before BT.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Standard User slimj
(regular) Mon 01-Nov-10 14:41:41
Print Post

Hi Yaz,

Yes, I was upgraded last week, the engineers turned up unannounced and upgraded while I was at work, then had a picture message from my brother who was at home showing speedtest speeds of 15mbps down and 10mbps up!! I was wondering what he was going on about as we were barely getting above 2-3mbps before, so it was a nice surprise to come home to.

I've not had a chance to really test the connection out as I've been away on a stag weekend in Amsterdam. But early tests were great, the 1Gb test file to download from this site took about 10 minutes, a 180mb HD video podcast from iTunes took about 2 minutes, 1080p HD video from YouTube will pretty much stream. Overall the connection feels much snappier and the pings are as low as 11ms which should prove excellent for gaming.

Jonathan suggested about the faster speeds but didn't indicate exactly how fast, but I read that Orbital were trialling 100mbit connections so wondered how long before VFast would also start offering this speed. Will be interested to see these speeds but I really don't know what the hell I'll be using these speeds for!! lol. But if this happens I think it would make a great media piece, how an area such as Manston has gone from a non stable ADSL internet connection struggling to reach 0.5mbps, to receiving speeds of up to 100mbit through the air (Darren, if you need a case study please let me know).

Also the new antenna on the chimney is much smaller and discreet so I'm impressed by that too.

---------------------------------------------
VFast Wireless Broadband
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 01-Nov-10 15:00:37
Print Post

Where have you read about the change of date? The documents linked to on the Openreach site still list Sept 2011 (Openreach FTTC) though admittedly they are now a few weeks old.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 01-Nov-10 15:18:29
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

It looks like both the network & equipment upgrade has helped you out quite a bit.

Apart from the mast being changed, are you still using your original/supplied router? I opted to use my own Linksys WRT54GL + Tomato firmware when I signed up. With the prospect of higher speeds on the horizon, Iím looking at upgrading my router to an Asus RT-N16 (or something of similar spec) as it appears that the WRT54GL becomes a bottleneck on the higher speed Virgin Media cable connections.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Standard User slimj
(regular) Mon 01-Nov-10 16:40:47
Print Post

Yes, definitely, my antenna has been re-angled onto a different transmitter but there are quite a lot of trees in between me and the flats where the transmitter is located (but a much shorter distance). Thankfully the transmitter is very high up so there shouldn't be too much foliage in the way - from what I've seen, even though the LOS isn't perfect the connection feels perfectly stable, time will tell on this especially when we move from winter to spring time next year.

Router wise, I'm just using a Netgear wireless cable router, seems absolutely fine to me. I've tried other brands of routers before but they've all broke after a years use. The Netgear' always seem to be the most reliable.

---------------------------------------------
VFast Wireless Broadband
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Nov-10 17:01:18
Print Post

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc... then click on "when we're planning to come to your area here" and the "South East"

"These exchanges will be enabled in 2012: Addiscombe, Blue Bell Hill, Burgess Hill, Canterbury, Crowborough, Herne Bay, North Cheam, Portsmouth North End, Ringwood, Southwater, Waterlooville, West Malling"

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 01-Nov-10 17:22:13
Print Post

We have a connection at a rented house in Canterbury that has an obstructed LOS to the nearest mast (Neals Place Farm) which would stand to benefit when the network upgrade is in place locally. Our home connection has a clear LOS to the mast at Dunkirk so one less variable to worry about.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 01-Nov-10 17:37:40
Print Post

I'm guessing that information is still from Openreach data even though it's from BT Retail's site. I presume the next Openreach update will probably confirm this in time.

Oh well, at least it co-insides with the Digital TV upgrades for our area. Apart from VFast, Blean is in a digital black hole smile.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID

Edited by Yaz (Mon 01-Nov-10 17:39:01)

(newbie) Tue 02-Nov-10 15:11:25
Print Post

Hi Slimj,

Could you do a few speedtests to a few different speedtest.net servers and report back please. We upgraded some bachaul in thanet today.

Thanks in advance
Darren
Standard User slimj
(regular) Tue 02-Nov-10 21:16:37
Print Post

Hi Darren,

Not a problem. Here are some results, not sure on how busy the network is at 9pm but it may be slower than normal.

Server: Ashford
Ping: 23ms
Up: 10.10Mbps
Down: 3.11Mbps

Server: Canterbury
Ping: 27ms
Up: 5.06Mbps
Down: 13.05Mbps

Server: Sittingbourne
Ping: 11ms
Up: 21.53Mbps
Down: 18.48Mbps

Server: Maidstone
Ping: 22ms
Up: 19.88Mbps
Down: 18.46Mbps

Some impressive looking speeds from Sittingbourne and Maidstone! smile

The 1GB test file from TB downloaded at a constant 1.8 - 2.2mb/s and took around 8 mins.

I also ran the test on Think Broadband, result is below. I'll run a few more tests after midnight when the network is quieter.

Cheers
James

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User slimj
(regular) Wed 03-Nov-10 00:22:39
Print Post

Hi Darren,

Some further 'after midnight' test results for you:

Server: Ashford
Ping: 10ms
Up: 14.99Mbps
Down: 25.67Mbps

Server: Canterbury
Ping: 13ms
Up: 18.24Mbps
Down: 29.93Mbps

Server: Sittingbourne
Ping: 10ms
Up: 19.58Mbps
Down: 22.87Mbps

Server: Maidstone
Ping: 19ms
Up: 17.10Mbps
Down: 22.40Mbps

Hope this data helps.

My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Wed 03-Nov-10 01:13:14
Print Post

Thank you,

I think those speeds might be down to the heavy use on the speedtest servers, i have done a test from your radio to our edge router tonight and got 67mbit smile

Thanks for your help
darren
Standard User kijoma
(member) Wed 03-Nov-10 09:42:38
Print Post

hi Darren,

If you are using the same technology we use here, which i suspect you are from what people say then you will find you can get 60+Mbps using the UDP speed test facilities on the routers and using 20 threads TCP you would get similar (i am assuming over more than one hop here).

Due to the aggregation and QoS built in to those routers you will not get much more than 25 Mbps from one of the speedtest.net sites from the client radio if you have two or three links between your core and the client. (they use 4 threads typically, TB uses 1 as far as i know).

This is why we only offer faster than 24Mbps to customers 1 hop from the DC, even though there is far more available on aggregate (i.e. multiple clients can draw equal amounts each).

I would be interested in your 100 Mbps new headline figure too as i can only guess this is not using the same radios as they only have 100 mbps ethernet ports and a top unidirectional throughput of about 90 Mbps under perfect unshared PtP situations with multiple threads.

the aggregate to the client there will always be under 100 Mbps for obvious reasons.

If you want to discuss any of this then email me..

Cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User slimj
(regular) Wed 03-Nov-10 13:38:56
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Thanks Darren,

What Bill makes sense, your test results are displaying over 67mbit but the fastest speeds i'm seeing are around 25mbit, this ties in with the download speeds of 1.8 - 2.2mb, this speed felt like the connection was at the limit, I certainly wasn't seeing speeds representative of a 67mbit connection - so it seems I'm missing out on around 40mbit somewhere along the line?!?

Hope this helps.

James

My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Wed 03-Nov-10 20:50:19
Print Post

Yes although we are not finished yet, if you get chance tonight would you be able to do some more test, Canterbury and Ashford are poor speedtest servers. Europe is often less busy.

We have made some changes this afternoon and would like to know if your connection seems better or worse.

Thanks in advance
Darren
Standard User slimj
(regular) Wed 03-Nov-10 21:42:09
Print Post

Hi Darren,

I've done some more speedtests and the results are much the same as yesterday at around 20mbit up and down. So I don't think it's any better or worse at all. The European servers tended to be a bit slower with higher pings (as I would expect being further away).

Cheers
James

My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Fri 05-Nov-10 22:39:55
Print Post

Dunkirk now has the new equipment, upgrade on its way smile

Regards
Darren
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 06-Nov-10 07:58:50
Print Post

Hmm, is it possible to request this or are you guys picking names out at random?

It sounds pretty damn good, even if it "only" gets the 20mbit/s that SlimJ is saying.

Regards,

William Farren
Standard User slimj
(regular) Sat 06-Nov-10 12:51:21
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi William,

Drop them an email and ask to see what they can do for you. I requested to be upgraded back in July when the upgrades were announced but I've only just been upgraded on to the Staner transmitter in Thanet (are you in Thanet? you sound familiar and I have a hunch you were in Lydden?).

Connection is really stable at the moment, connection speed seems to be around the 30mbit mark at the mo with well seeded torrents downloading at over 3.3mb/s smile

James

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 06-Nov-10 13:48:14
Print Post

Hey,

Yeah I emailed you a year or so ago to see if you were experiencing the same issues I had.

I'll get in touch with support and see what the situation is. How's your latency when you're doing these speedtests?

Regards,

William Farren
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 06-Nov-10 14:45:24
Print Post

Good to hear.

I presume you've got the backhaul to do now then customer CPE's to follow in the future.

Will the new CPE use the existing power supply (box) as the current equipment? I ask as my current power box has a slight loose connection. I contacted Jonathan several months ago but never got round to swapping it over as I had forgotten about it until now.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
(newbie) Sat 06-Nov-10 17:22:24
Print Post

Yes, we are ready to install end user upgraded cpe's. There is a bit of a backlog at the moment but it will be soon. You will get a new power supply / poe smile
(newbie) Sat 06-Nov-10 17:23:53
Print Post

Its not quite random, there is method behind the madness. We will be in contact when its your turn, at the moment we are testing the higher speeds.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 06-Nov-10 17:48:27
Print Post

Darren, if the new equipment needs a new POE, will engineers need someone to be at home?

Also, is your ultimate plan to make a new tariff for the 100mbit service or will all 10mb users be automatically upgraded and remain on the same tariff?
(newbie) Mon 08-Nov-10 21:45:01
Print Post

Keep an eye on the Website William as we post news regarding packages / changes there, if you have specific questions please email us rather than use this public board.

Regards
Darren
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 19-Nov-10 17:59:38
Print Post

Hi Darren,

Jonathan's arranged my switch over for the 25th.

If Neil's the engineer doing the install then I'll have the strong tea and chocolate biscuits ready!

Yaz

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
(newbie) Fri 19-Nov-10 21:07:37
Print Post

Thats great, ill keep an eye out for you to appear on the new network smile
Standard User slimj
(regular) Sat 20-Nov-10 12:39:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Yaz:
Jonathan's arranged my switch over for the 25th.

Great to hear, only 5 more sleeps to go! laugh

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 20-Nov-10 23:26:06
Print Post

Hi Slimj, have not heard from you so i guess everything is probably working ok smile Manston Parish council have awarded the contract to get complete coverage now around you !

Regards
Darren
Standard User slimj
(regular) Sun 21-Nov-10 13:39:37
Print Post

Hi Darren,

Yes everything is great here, speeds are good even during peak times. Speeds tend to range from 15mbit in the evenings to over 30mbit at quieter times, which is fantastic! I did see that Manston is going to be covered by VFast which is great news, I guess you will start to sort out our area in the coming weeks/months right?

With regards to the 100mbit trials, any indication as to when you will start this with residential customers? We will of couse be more than happy to help you out if you need a willing participant in Thanet! wink

Cheers
James

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Nov-10 00:07:51
Print Post

Will the extended Manston coverage result in a change in service to customers near Bradgate Park (as we're ipart of Manston Paris Council)?
(newbie) Mon 22-Nov-10 14:15:18
Print Post

All existing customer will be changed onto the new network, depending on what service you already have, you may or may not see any difference.

Regards
Darren
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Nov-10 20:14:28
Print Post

Today I've seen a Vfast speed test showing 32.20Mbps down and 14.83Mps up ... a real competitor to FTTC if FTTC was even available!

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
(newbie) Tue 23-Nov-10 20:30:26
Print Post

Where did you see that ? We have upgraded kings hill today, was it there ?

Regards
Darren
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Nov-10 20:58:54
Print Post

Selling, Dunkirk mast.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
(newbie) Tue 23-Nov-10 21:17:10
Print Post

Ah yes, thats also a new network, we are gradually migrating people over, lots of capacity there smile
Standard User slimj
(regular) Tue 23-Nov-10 22:57:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by 5km:
Today I've seen a Vfast speed test showing 32.20Mbps down and 14.83Mps up ... a real competitor to FTTC if FTTC was even available!

Hi 5km,

Not quite sure how accurate this test was but I had a 45Mb/s down and 31Mb/s up just now from Speedtest on the London server.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1042674184.png

My personal best so far! laugh Unfortunately the Thinkbroadband speedtest seems to top out at around 25Mb/s and never registers the true upload speed?!?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Nov-10 23:11:24
Print Post

Does it matter, it is fast ... v' fast in fact!

There is another thinkbroadband speed tester not sure how to get to it directly but still accessible from http://fwd.five.tv/adv/broadbandspeedtest

Does that give better upload readings?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 23-Nov-10 23:23:26
Print Post

Cheers. Tried that and that gives about 38Mb/s down and 34Mb/s up, so I'd say it's quite accurate compared to speedtest.net depending on what server you test from. smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User kijoma
(member) Wed 24-Nov-10 09:51:44
Print Post

Hi all,

Good to hear about the speeds with VFAST! , now all we need is government to take wireless technology serious for next gen and stop throwing all our tax money at Fibre, especially in rural areas where the costs are silly. One day TB might put a general fixed wireless entry in the main forum next to mobile/fibre/adsl too..

you never know... !

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1042683484.png from my house, after going 60km over our network smile

Bill Lewis - MD
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 24-Nov-10 20:54:11
Print Post

I don't know what to believe sometimes using Speedtest.net.

In general I think it gives a rough indication of what I get. I have a bandwidth application running on my desktop that gives me a constant real-time throughput reading which I use to verify any Speedtest.net result.

I did however get an odd result using the Canterbury server on Speedtest.net on the 12/11/2010 of 21.43mb down and 1.89mb up (this is on the existing/older network and equipment under the 10mb down 2mb up package).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1027872033.png

**Edit**
Just ran a few tests now and got the following:
Date & Time -- Down -- Up -- ms -- Sever
24.11.2010 8:57 PM -- 2.06 -- 1.99 -- 26 -- Canterbury
24.11.2010 8:58 PM -- 2.61 -- 1.14 -- 11 -- Sittingbourne
24.11.2010 8:58 PM -- 2.91 -- 1.11 -- 57 -- Maidstone
24.11.2010 9:06 PM -- 3.52 -- 2.4 -- 27 -- Maidenhead

vFast Ltd
Sky MID

Edited by Yaz (Wed 24-Nov-10 21:09:17)

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 24-Nov-10 21:11:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by kijoma:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1042683484.png from my house, after going 60km over our network smile

A nice speed test.

Do you mind me asking if your own connection is running under the same conditions as your end users (contention settings etc.)?

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Standard User kijoma
(member) Wed 24-Nov-10 21:56:31
Print Post

A nice speed test.

Do you mind me asking if your own connection is running under the same conditions as your end users (contention settings etc.)?

Hi,

My own connection has a higher speed than most others on this network as the speeds we offer on our website are 16 Mbps/24 Mbps. We have QoS queues at our server that allocate that speed on a per customer basis. Upload speeds are set at 1, 4 and 6 Mbps respectively.

As the boss i get to set the speed as high as i want for me smile

Some customers on the newest "next gen" network segments (one of which i am connected too) have the choice of the higher service speeds, most are happy with 16 or 24 Mbps though.

Contention is managed using the QoS (quality of service) queues, the higher tariffs have a higher priority. My priority is the same as our "Business plus" tariff, which is lower than the premium Extreme package.

We could turn off the QoS altogether and offer an "up to as fast as it goes" in the traditional unbalanced "those closest to the server get more than those further away" kind of way .. But we won't tongue . QoS has been an integral part of this network since 2005 and the lack of customer complaints speak volumes.

another important metric which is rarely eschewed is of course ping..

see > http://www.pingtest.net/result/28818372.png , also from my house smile

and via the TB BQM > http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/978e5df70f6...

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 24-Nov-10 22:33:21
Print Post

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response.

If I were in the same position as you, I am pretty certain that I would want to enjoy the privileges of being at the top of an ISP smile.

I am looking forward to the upgrade of our own connection tomorrow. Just in time if we are to be hit by the winter weather heading our way that snowed us in this time last year.

vFast Ltd
Sky MID
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 25-Nov-10 08:38:00
Print Post

Not to sound rude, but you're very very bitter about the folks here at TB. Your technology is viewed of as a stop gap and last mile solution and that perception won't change over night.

I used to be a customer of SoBroadband and later VFast when they took over the network and I've used other fixed wireless broadband ISPs for properties I own elsewhere in the country. I can honestly say that it's a good thing most of these companies have excellent customer service as I very frequently had problems with VOIP, video on demand, consistency of throughput and uptimes.

I've not been with VFast for a while now and I would be interested to take up a 100mbps service but from past experience I would certainly be worried that the service will suffer during peak times due to huge contention problems (this, plus a much improved (and cheaper) DSL service is what made me leave). After all what use is a 100mbps connection if you're sharing with lots and lots of other users?

Considering most of the people I know who stuck with VFast are moderate - heavy users, I wouldn't be surprised if the connection crawls to a turtle speed during peak time.

I would love to have this technology embraced and developed, but you are going around saying it's pretty damn flawless and you must admit that it really isn't. There are still problems to overcome and ultimately the technology is not an alternative to fibre. It's a useful technology that people should be looking to merge into their network, mindful of the issues it has.

At the end of the day if I had the choice between FTTC and fixed wireless, there's really no option, FTTC has so many more advantages.

What I do agree with you though is that the government should be putting money into a universal service rather than upgrading areas that have spare bandwidth already. My brother lives in a town where for many years he's been getting really high quality ADSL, yet BT are actively rolling out their Infinity service. How's about invest the extra couple of thousand and hook up some of the areas which don't have any ADSL or cable connectivity?

One last point; If I were serviced by any of the fixed wireless ISPs, I am officially receiving a service that satisfies government targets. Unfortunately for the customer, they are pretty much damned if they wish to change supplier. If I were with your "Kijoma" service but felt that your price/connectivity/support was rubbish, I would be unable to switch to another ISP as you would hold a monopoly. Ultimately this is poor as it discourages investment from the ISP (Why bother, the customers are locked in anyway?) and limits choice (don't use the internet that much? Tough, you're locked into a high priced service.).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 25-Nov-10 08:41:14
Print Post

And another thing, the tariffs you offer to your customers have ridiculously low usage limits, long contract terms, poor upload speeds and sky high prices. It's probably a mixture of these reasons that people are skeptical to use fixed wireless.
Standard User MarkHampshire
(experienced) Thu 25-Nov-10 09:12:48
Print Post

You make some good ponts, but it leaves me with a question and some other points:

1. There seems to be an assumption that contention can't be managed on a wireless network and that users can easily saturate it.

On a cable network, it used to be (maybe still is) possible to fiddle the cable modem settings to get the maximum possible speed which I believe is about 445Mbps which would potentially saturate the local node especially if a few people on the same node did it.

However without doing that, the cap is set at the service level e.g. 10Mbps, 50Mbps, and you only get what you pay for.

So it's capped at the client end. With DSL I'm assuming it's capped at the exchange given that it works differently. Might be wrong on that one.

Those are fixed paths, yes. But with either cable or DSL there has to be sufficient backhaul - don't know what the formula is to calculate what is needed, it would be possible to supply everyone eith e.g. 50Mbps if there was enough, but that won't be how it's done - guess it's the aggregate of all the peak speeds * some percentage and the backhaul to the node is adjusted accordingly.

After all that pre-able: Why can't that be done with wireless? After all, they should be able to calculate how many people are connecting to any given point of presence (it isn't mobile broadband with a transient user base) and I'm presuming that differing maximum speeds can be supplied to different customers with a cap at that point?

2. It strikes me that it would be madness, for instance, for say Kijoma to invest in supplying a wireless solution to the nearby town of Alton, which has sporadic FTTC coverage, because the response from BT would be (we've seen this before) to simply then install the necessary missing fibre cabinets to kill the competition. Suddenly the presence of competition means it's now financially viable where it wasn't before. So, probably not good business sense, and in most (though not all) cases, people in urban areas can get something, even if it's only 1Mbps.

3. What makes anyone think that BT will supply sufficient bandwidth to any given exchange to service all the FTTC users to any particular quality level? BT have had the luxury of only having to provide quite low backhaul per user because the strangling factor has always been the physical lines and nobody yet knows what the FTTC take-up will be, and what sort of backhaul per user will be made available - so you might get 40Mbps now, but is there any reason why - on an "up to 40Mbps" service - that won't drop to e.g. 10Mbps in a couple of years - it's still "up to 40Mbps".

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 25-Nov-10 09:33:35
Print Post

[re: MarkHampshire] [link to this post]

I own properties throughout the country in villages where very often the tenant cannot receive a connection via anything but fixed wireless. In almost all of these situations I have received endless complaints about how during the peak time the connection is slow, i've experienced first hand how poor VFast / SoBroadband could be during the evenings, i've got a tenant using Kijoma and he's had problems similar to those I constantly hear about.

Problem is, I can't help them, they're stuck with what there is available, you either suck it up and hope that the overworked WISP has time to get around to dealing with the problem (very often my tenants have been told they are the only person experiencing any issues and that they can't see any problems, this is mainly due to complacency from other users I suppose).

Sure, BT can (and do) oversubscribe/overstretch and no amount of switching ISP will help your connection if ultimately the backhaul isn't up to scratch, but when I have spoken to my tenants about the issues they've been having, some of them have experienced periods of less than dialup speeds, no connectivity, latencies in the tens of thousands and sporadic bursts of data, it does show some flaws with either the tech or the set up.

The properties I have that have poor ADSL/Cable (my own house is included in this) have never had the extreme problems that fixed wireless can have. When my connection is broken now, it just gets a bit slower, it doesn't make me want to climb the walls with frustration.

So yes, i'm sure it CAN be done that a universal quality of service is achieved, my experience has shown otherwise. I've not personally used a fixed wireless ISP for a couple of years, but my tenants do and so many of them are unhappy with it. I can't imagine they'd be complaining if they had any sort of FTTC.

As an aside, it's always struck me that the users of fixed wireless are more the sort of "power user" type. I do know that a lot of people around here are happy with a slow connection and that most of the people I know who have "upgraded" to fixed wireless are the sort of people who partake in a lot of heavy use (games, downloading, streaming).
(newbie) Thu 25-Nov-10 10:41:33
Print Post

Sorry but i totally disagree with your comments, i agree that when we took over the SoBroadband network things were not great, the equipment they had deployed was rubbish, we have since been working very hard to upgrade users and as such around 70% of customers are now receiving above 10mbit and a reliable service. Technology has come a long way in the past couple of years and wireless can now out perform FTTC.

Regards
Darren
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 25-Nov-10 11:12:26
Print Post

Hello, I have now been a customer of VFast for around 5 years I think, in Thanet. Now I won't say the service is perfect (I had a very long period of horrible packet loss and low speeds) but on the whole the service has been impressive. Support staff are helpful and most of the time if they can't fix it they'll pass the message on to someone who can. In the situations where proble s can't be immediately resolved, Jonathan has been helpful in explaining what the issue was and when there are planned fixes.

I agree that when it is bad, it is really bad, but for a long time the service has been absolutely brilliant (though I have recent had issues with some slow routing to France via telia which is a result of telia being awful and not much VFast can do). Sure, I don't get the full 10mbps in the evening (speedtests vary between 6-9mbps in the evening) and I wouldn't say no to a bit more upload, but honestly for an emerging technology and a small company, I can't fault vfast.

I am glad there are no silly usage limits as I often buy games through steam and use the iplayer all the time, but I usually leave any large downloads until late at night (steam had a sale on the Grand Theft Auto games recently and that was pretty massive).

All that said, I do look forward to getting a faster connection but considering the price is already quite high, I'm not sure that I would want to pay more.

Incidentally, if I were to move house and I were able to receive a connection of this speed and reliablity from VFast, I would certainly take them over ANY ADSL supplier. No limits, good speeds, brilliant support, better than average upload speeds... Only issues are price and lack of the extras Virgin and BT can offer (TV for example) and better speeds are avaliable from their respective FTTC services (but after upgrades this will not be the case).

Sorry for the garbled writing. Using my new phone and it is hard to re read what I have previously written.

Regards,

William Farren
Standard User kijoma
(member) Fri 26-Nov-10 10:34:11
Print Post

anonymous moans

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
And another thing, the tariffs you offer to your customers have ridiculously low usage limits, long contract terms, poor upload speeds and sky high prices. It's probably a mixture of these reasons that people are skeptical to use fixed wireless.

Hello Mr Anonymous

Interesting... sky high prices... £13.99 for 5GB a month at 16Mbps and 6/12 month contracts aren't exactly extortionate?. Compare these to BT's rates and contracts (18/24 months) and of course factor in the need for a BT phone line at ~£13 a month and i think people will see your view is extremely simplistic and inaccurate.

You made me laugh at "poor upload speeds" , we provide 1,4 and 6 Mbps upload speeds as standard fixed products and 40Mbps upload via bespoke contracts to specific customers. yep that's pretty poor speed compared to ADSL with its 0.2 , 0.4 , 0.7 Mbps upload and the blistering 2 Mbps of ADSL2+ if your close to the exchange..

There hasn't been a single price increase ever here either but the allowances have risen considerably over the years as we have improved capacity. this is a managed network, not a super contended ADSL free for all.

Your "Fibre is the end game" thinking is interesting and is similar to saying that the entire country will have motorway grade roads too and A,B and C roads are just a stop gap.. I don't see this happening from the incumbent road operator as it isn't viable to do so..

Equally unfounded is the idea that it will ever be economic to provide Fibre to every home/business in the country, especially provided from such a large organisation as BT wholesale where their lower cut off threshold for commercial viability will exclude large swathes of the countries infrastructure.

I see from the TB news that retail are already accepting 5 Mbps orders for FTTC, with ADSL it was years before they changed from fixed 0.5/1/2 Mbps services and unleashed the hell that is Max. They are already offering sub "super fast" concessions on FTTC to try and raise order levels..

5 Mbps over VDSL, combined with crosstalk on the same bundle will be absolute rubbish, a repeat of the ADSL fiasco all over again.. I would hope any public organisations being suckered into financing this "stop gap" measure will be looking closely at the Value For Money, or lack of.

I have read your original post and will respond to the many points you raise later. Work demands my time first smile

You mention you have a tenant with a Kijoma service, perhaps you would contact us direct and raise the problems you say they are experiencing so we can address them?

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mjay
(newbie) Fri 26-Nov-10 13:34:52
Print Post

Is there any ETA for the Sittingbourne area on the network upgrades?

Also help clear something up for me.. I was told the Sittingborune POP was in/on the Kent Science Park, however my CPE is clearly pointing towards the town center and not KSP. When some engineers came to fix my CPE that had fallen off the roof during the high winds they said they was upgrading the POP in the town center soon. So, where is the sittingbourne pop really hiding away at?

My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Fri 26-Nov-10 14:36:22
Print Post

[re: mjay] [link to this post]

Yes, the new transmitter for airmax is in place, you will be upgraded soon but we have a very big backlog of work at the moment. We have more than one transmitter in and around Sittingbourne, i really dont know without looking which one you are on.

Regards
darren
Standard User mjay
(newbie) Fri 10-Dec-10 16:56:28
Print Post

Just been upgraded, getting a solid 14.5mbit down and 15-17 mbit upstream. Considering I could just about get 1mbit DSL, I love you guys.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User V10Diesel
(newbie) Mon 03-Jan-11 11:06:47
Print Post

Hi I'm on the Ashford vfast network, receiving from international house. Will Ashford be getting the 100mb service? I get a solid 10mb up and down at the moment which is great, but bt have emailed me today saying they can supply 30mb in march. I would prefer to stay with vfast as they have provided an excellent service over the last few years and I am not opposed to maybe helping out with some of the costs involved.

Thanks
Standard User V10Diesel
(newbie) Tue 04-Jan-11 16:06:01
Print Post

[re: V10Diesel] [link to this post]

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Ljphil78
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 13:50:16
Print Post

[re: V10Diesel] [link to this post]

Im also in ashford on v.fast but on the Charter House transmitter as I'm too low to get LOS to international house.
would love to know if an upgrade is in the pipeline, who's going to get it first, I'm hoping it will be charter house as when I had my install done Martin said it was the older network, so I think an upgrade straight to the new 100 meg network would be the best idea smile lol
Have to say though in the 5 or so months that I've been with vfast the service had been out standing
Keep up the good work guys.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 25-Jan-11 23:23:30
Print Post

[re: Ljphil78] [link to this post]

Email into support, there are more transmitters about in ashford now than charter, charter is however due to be upgraded this year.
Standard User Ljphil78
(newbie) Wed 26-Jan-11 08:22:56
Print Post

Ha haa i wasnt meaning that there was a problem with the current speed lol far from it smile
Anyway i think i'd rather stay connected to a transmitter than my nearest repeater less lag smile
Good news about Charter House upgrade this year, would it be cheeky to ask when its scheduled for?
Standard User dbvfast
(newbie) Thu 27-Jan-11 12:12:46
Print Post

[re: Ljphil78] [link to this post]

Not got exact dates yet as we are flat out with install, it will be done though, email me your VFast username and i will checkout a few things.

Regards
Darren
Standard User Jaxxeh
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 01:31:04
Print Post

[re: dbvfast] [link to this post]

Hi Darren,

I've been reading through this and I have to say im extremely happy that there's a decent broadband service to be had in this part of kent. However, I'm currently living north of London but will be moving down this way in the summer. I'm looking to live a bit nearer the coast in Whitstable, however I typed in a postcode (for an address I may well end up living at) and it said that vfast was unavailable. How accurate is the postcode finder?

Ta, Jim.
Standard User dbvfast
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 08:16:48
Print Post

[re: Jaxxeh] [link to this post]

Its not that upto date i am afraid frown Best way is to email in to sales for a better indication.

Regards
Darren
Standard User Jaxxeh
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 18:16:17
Print Post

[re: dbvfast] [link to this post]

Will do. Cheers mate.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 21-Mar-11 15:48:18
Print Post

[re: Jaxxeh] [link to this post]

Got to say i'm not that happy with the vhome package still having 2mbps upload.

The price is already really high compared to conventional broadband and the benefit used to be high upload, but now 2mbps isn't high at all.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Mar-11 21:29:30
Print Post

Q. Name an residential ISP with more than 2Mbps upload...

A. Be* Pro package at £22.44.

Not sure why your are complaining, the price compares well and you would have to live next door to a Be enabled exchange to get that speed.

BT infinity has a 2Mbps upload and costs £28pm + £10 line rental and 18 month contract.

Reality check needed perhaps?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 23:35:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Got to say i'm not that happy with the vhome package still having 2mbps upload.

The price is already really high compared to conventional broadband and the benefit used to be high upload, but now 2mbps isn't high at all.

The VMax package will give you 10mbps upload for an extra £13 if you really need it? 2Mbps is more than ample for most home users needs IMO.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Mar-11 17:33:18
Print Post

For the same price, BT offer 40mb down 10mb up, unlimited wifi, router included, phone etc.

You could even go for a cheaper package and that would give you the same upload, faster download, phone and you'd be saving lots of money that you can then spend on BT Vision.

I frequently find 2mb takes ages when I am uploading a youtube video, sending a file to someone or hosting a game online. I just don't see the reason why the upload speed did not increase. It used to be a really big attraction.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 21:56:22
Print Post

You have missed the point of Vfast's service. If BT infinity is available then by all means go with BT, it's your choice after all.

The thing is that BT will never enable most areas currently covered by Vfast. These areas are mostly market 1 exchanges and too far from the exchange to receive reliable ADSL often with speeds of only 1Mbps or less or even nothing at all.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Wed 23-Mar-11 14:58:06
Print Post

Am curious though, if VFast have (hopefully several) 100M+ pipes to the internet, that should be symmetric.
The radio links can equally well be symmetric oir weighted without degrading the service.

So why sell asymmetric packages at all when their backhaul does does not dictate that they need to.
There is no need to copy what ADSL had to do (favour the download to make a reasonable consumer experience over phone lines).

The future of the internet and IPv6 makes it easier for connected devices to have a permanent presence on the internet.
An aspect of that is hopefully we are able to be as much a producer of data as a consumer.

So why not give the product a clear advantage whether or not there is competition - symmetric as standard?

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t Max ADSL
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Mar-11 16:02:51
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

I can think of two reasons...

First, the wireless network is not "full duplex" - if you are transmitting data in one direction, you cannot transmit the other way at the same time. Thus it makes sense to heavily weight things in the direction that most people want them. Those that really do "need" symmetric tend to be businesses that are prepared to pay a lot more for the priviledge.

Second, whilst people still like to use PTP applications, having symmetric by default can clog up the wireless network with PTP uploads. These provide no direct benefit to the customers of the wisp but can end up costing the wisp a lot of money to cater for.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham
=======================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 24-Mar-11 12:30:49
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

I'm almost certain that VFast's equipment is full duplex.
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Mar-11 18:01:20
Print Post

nope

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham
=======================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-May-11 09:50:53
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Signed up to Vfast just over a week ago and was very excited to be getting speeds of more than 1mb download and 0.2 up (we are as far from a BT exchange as you can get I think).

Straight away the download was 9mb and upload 6 which is perfect for me as I would like to be able to send big files to my clients using ftp dropboxes or yousendit.

My only problem is that within this time, the connection has disappeared 4 times, meaning a call out to engineers (who have been very nice, honest and patient) and a 24hr wait until we have a working connection again. Over the time it has been installed it has 'not worked' more than it has worked, not a great start to doing business with Vfast, I was hoping they would be the solution to me working from home, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Apparently the problem is arising from power surges at the repeater host's property shorting out the hardware. Has anyone else experienced this? Did it ever get resolved? Is there another more reliable (quick) service available? I fear it's back to broadband with an unworkable 0.2mb upload speed.

HELP!!!!
Standard User slimj
(member) Sat 07-May-11 20:51:15
Print Post

Hi,

Bear with it, if it's something to do with the equipment at the host address then it will likely be sorted out by the engineers quite quickly. Sounds like a minor problem that will get resolved.

Where are you based? Are you on the new Airmax network? I'm in Thanet and can't say I've noticed any problems since being on the new network, been fast and reliable since installation quite a few months ago.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vfast_tim
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 20:56:07
Print Post

Hi

As you are already aware the repeater you connect to was reinstalled on Thursday 26th, a week ago. Since then we have not seen the same issue. I therefore believe that we have finally found what was causing the repeater to stop working after ~48 hours. A simple firmware bug, not a hardware issue, power surge or cable short as we had previously though.

Hopefully you are now happy with your vfast wireless broadband.

Regards,
Tim
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Jun-11 08:38:17
Print Post

[re: vfast_tim] [link to this post]

Superb! - It's now been running for about two weeks, so thought I'd pop back here and say thanks for persevering with the problem solving. I don't want casual viewers thinking that I wasn't happy with what is a very good service, especially for people living in broadband 'not-spots'.

I'm getting a very reasonable 10mb download and about 6mb up - makes working from home a reality rather than a wish.

Thanks again Vfast for sorting it out.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to