User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 23-Oct-11 12:55:15
Print Post

Re: October news from Vfast

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I often come here to read what is going on and I always see you posting [censored] about VFast, always.

We've had a VFast service for a long time now (when they installed it they didn't have a lot of engineers so it was even Darren who installed it!) and i've had a pretty good experience, yeah there have been times where it's been [censored] but the support people have tried their best to fix the problems.

I wonder where exactly you are/were located because everyone I know who uses VFast hasn't had any massive latency, download speed or disconnection problems for a very long time...

In fact the only on-going problem i've got is that whenever my router (i've tried 4 different ones, plus using them after switches etc) is plugged in, I get a maximum speed of 4mbps, where as without the router/switches, with my pc directly connected I get 15mbps. I contacted support about this and they couldn't do anything except send an engineer, but as I can't afford to pay the callout charge i've just lived with it. As far as my research goes it might be a problem with my Ubiquiti Nanostation M being in bridge mode and being faulty - I had found a thread about it on the Ubiquiti forums.

This is the ONLY ongoing problem and I could quite easily get it fixed if I had £50 spare.

Since you claim to no longer a customer and all you seem to do is come here and slate a technology without which many people would simply not be online with, why not go and do something productive with your time?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Sun 23-Oct-11 13:00:25
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wirelesspacman:
For instance: the Tooway 6 Mbps down (1 Mbps up) service is now on offer for £19.99 per month. Having two (satellite) players up there can only help to keep the prices down, and perhaps even lower them further (and/or increase usage allowances). I refuse to accept that this is expensive (in the sense of a lot of money per month). Yes it is more than a terrestrial service but so what? State Aid is not there to simply drive down prices in a competitive market.

Tooway want £89.99 per month for a 25GB data allowance. That is more than 10 times what I am paying for an ADSL connection with a data allowance more than twice that. That strikes me as expensive.

I probably would be willing to pay for a faster connection. But not to that extent.

Michael Chare
Standard User smurf46
(member) Sun 23-Oct-11 15:38:40
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

I think there is a point concerning the applicability of the de minimus rules ( http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?ur... ), up to 200K euros (£174,268) support in aggregate to a single undertaking. In my view this should cover far in excess of the amount of support required for any local WISP solution. If a WISP, or anyone else, wants to play with the big boys, then you play by the adult game rules.

Of course no government body has to take advantage of the de minimus rules, they can adopt their own local approach, that's democracy. And they still have to adopt measures to ensure VFM and it doesn't distort competition, but they have some flexibility in the approach they adopt. In my view if they have reasonable evidence that satellite and fixed broadband isn't meeting a local need, which could be affordability, availability or technology limitations then I think they may be able to reasonably conclude that competition isn't distorted: it's a practical not a theoretical exercise.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Sun 23-Oct-11 15:47:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kijoma
(member) Sun 23-Oct-11 21:23:50
Print Post

Hi Anonymous..

You name me one ISP that has no limits and i will happily dig their AUP out to disprove this.

Kijoma has known limits, our customers know what they are paying for and get the service speed they pay for. A lot of fixed line openreach ISP's state "unlimited" and then apply a FUP / AUP which they then decide when to implement restriction/shaping without providing the customer any warning.

You could easily say why do roads have speed limits, why do we have traffic lights.. Limits are there to balance the capacity against the usage , without it you have the situation discussed over and over again in the other forums on TB.. peak time slow down, filtered protocols.

I can understand why the ADSL market are willing to use every trick in the book to gain customers, it is so heavily competitive as they are effectively all selling the same service level (as defined by your line/ Openreach capacity etc..)

Rampant profiteering, i find that a laughable statement. We do make a profit and have done for many years. However the difference between us and the openreach dependents you seem so keen on promoting is we OWN all our infrastructure. we have the potential of hundreds of gigabits of capacity on demand at diverse carrier fed data centres and we can purchase more as and when we need it as the networks grow.

It seems you dislike Kijoma, Vfast or any independent broadband provider based on your comments but at the same time make lame excuses for the failings of mobile providers etc..

Kijoma is not a Monopoly, nor is Vfast . We are companies that saw a market and managed to put together a viable business model. If no other existing technology provider can make such a business case then that is their failing, not ours.

The three exchanges in West Sussex i mentioned before are owned and operated by the largest telco Monopoly in this country and they have refused to provide their "competitive" multi vendored service to these exchanges. THAT is the actions of a monopoly, abusing their position to deprive people the over stated "choice" their service claims to provide.

Kijoma has invested the money and time to develop a high class service in these areas without any public funding or grants outside of a £5000 tender in 2005 for 5 villages. SInce 2005 those networks have been replaced 2-3 times as technology advances with faster and faster infrastructure, client radios and increased usage allowances and service speeds all WITHOUT a single tariff price increase in 7 years.

These are NOT the actions of a monopoly and i seriously object to the inference. We may have a monopoly on an excellent service but that is from our hard work , not back stabbing other ISP's via BDUK handouts etc..

It seems some people really hate free enterprise and at the same time they will [censored] about the poor service from the incumbent line telco's.

Like Vfast, a lot of our customers have moved to VoIP so the line rental vanishes, one business over here disposed of 8 BT lines to go to VoIP via our system, this has saved them a fortune and opened up the plethora of benefits VoIP provides at the same time.

We have an entire school in Surrey that pays less than £100 a month for 24Mbps down/10 Mbps up, where is the monopolistic element here? . they were quoted ~£40k to install a 10 meg leased line with over £1800 a month service fees from you know who ..

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Oh and I forgot that I find it INCREDIBLY frustrating that you, Kijoma, have usage limits.

I really can't see any reason why other than rampant profiteering - when I lived in Sweden it was unheard of to get a limit on your internet, even when it's a wireless service or a mobile service.

Frustrating when you are a monopoly!

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User darrenorbital
(learned) Sun 23-Oct-11 21:29:12
Print Post

Ah ok, perhaps you was on the old skypilot network that we purchased from SoBroadband, that could explain alot. Would it be possible to perhaps email me your old username so i can have a look into why you used to have these issues, to see if it was down to something perhaps we can learn from.

I do know that some of the customers whom we inherrited from SoBroadband had very poor signals which we would not install these days, perhaps you was one of them.

Many Thanks
Darren
Standard User kijoma
(member) Sun 23-Oct-11 21:43:17
Print Post

I have not used your service for a year now.

I am probably correct in that a year ago Vfast were not using the technology they are now. As an early adopter of that "new" tech here i can say that if this is the case then you are tarring their service based on an outdated system that probably bears no resemblence to what they have now.

This is a key point with Wireless Technology, it is advancing at a considerable rate. FTTC is just VDSL with a fibre feed and has all the same phone line problems as ADSL but with a far lower tolerance and much shorter distance limit.

Fixed Wireless is a staple diet in many countries, only in this one does it seem to receive such hostility..

Such is the mindwashing power of an incumbent national Monopoly.

Bill Lewis - MD
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User kijoma
(member) Sun 23-Oct-11 22:00:50
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

I agree with many elements of this, however as you state the local gov body can do whatever to ensure VFM.

Here lies the problem of course, these bodies rely on old reports on technology and hearsay. One of the most common things the county council over here have stated is "wireless is affected by the weather".

This they use as an argument that the Technology can justifiably be circumvented by a funded alternative. The truth of course is there is no reason a properly implemented wireless network should suffer in any way with the weather. Ours for example didn't bat an eyelid during last winter even when aerials had 2ft of snow on them.

Another comment is "Wireless needs line of sight" , well yes it does ideally but why does this prevent it being a suitable technology? . If you want to see some innovative solutions to LoS issues then we have many that have been runnning over 6 years without fault.

The plethora of "wifi" mesh networks implemented by incompetent outfits during the first half of the century have a lot to answer for here. They invariably received funding and didn't provide on the promise.

Thankfully most are defunkt but it has left a lasting legacy with a serious misunderstanding of Fixed Wireless capability (not WIFI).

Yes 200k would be nice and could enable a hell of a lot of customers with "super fast" Wireless or probably buy one FTTC cab.

In reply to a post by smurf46:
I think there is a point concerning the applicability of the de minimus rules ( http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?ur... ), up to 200K euros (£174,268) support in aggregate to a single undertaking. In my view this should cover far in excess of the amount of support required for any local WISP solution. If a WISP, or anyone else, wants to play with the big boys, then you play by the adult game rules.

Of course no government body has to take advantage of the de minimus rules, they can adopt their own local approach, that's democracy. And they still have to adopt measures to ensure VFM and it doesn't distort competition, but they have some flexibility in the approach they adopt. In my view if they have reasonable evidence that satellite and fixed broadband isn't meeting a local need, which could be affordability, availability or technology limitations then I think they may be able to reasonably conclude that competition isn't distorted: it's a practical not a theoretical exercise.

Bill Lewis - MD
My Broadband Speed Test
(learned) Sun 23-Oct-11 22:38:53
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

I agree with those comments, we are lucky in Kent to have an open minded county council who have seen what fixed wireless implemented properly can achieve, so much so that most of the local councils are also using our fixed wireless private networks to link sites back to their main offices.

Regards
Darren
(learned) Sun 23-Oct-11 22:40:34
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Exactly right, 95% of our network is now replaced.
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Oct-11 16:55:28
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

Then I suggest you read the text closely!

Oh and satelllite providers do provide wholesale options as do wisps. Anyhow, I really cannot get my head around all this fuss about "do they, don't they" provide wholesale options. After all, it is not exactly rocket science to wholesale a service, just a matter of agreeing a set of tariffs for a set of service tiers.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to