User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Fri 04-May-12 14:54:59
Print Post

Re: Northwest Electronics

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I take it you are on the bronze package? If so, thats pretty close to the advertised speed, and the pings seem to be good. I was wondering about the ip's as I would like to be able to use iplayer, sky go etc with no problems. I don't have a big pile of choice though, satelite is out due to the high costs and latency, so I either stay on 0.5mb for the forseeable future, or take the plunge with NWE.
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jun-12 11:26:40
Print Post

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

One thing you need to be aware of is and I have found this out from my Dad recently is that the IP address you get may not allow you to watch catch up services like UTV player. It seems that even though the IP is registered both sides of the border it doesnt always allow access to some services.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User StJohnston
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-14 11:19:33
Print Post

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

I've been a customer of NWE for five years. Their service is simply terrible. It goes off air frequently and their customer support is terrible. Ask them if their service is reliable at weekends and public holidays. Ask if they have tech support at weekends or holidays. They don't, and you just have to stay off air until after the weekend or holidays. Don't believe me ? See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056...
They are awful. AVOID!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dilligaf1967
(newbie) Mon 13-Jan-14 22:09:36
Print Post

[re: StJohnston] [link to this post]

I have been with NW Electronics Bluebox Broadband for approx 1.5 years and it quite frankly has been a horror story.

Numerous drop outs, speeds variations between 10meg an a few kilobits, pings of 8 milliseconds to over a second. Yet apparently this is all within the parameters that they deem acceptable.

Customer Service is virtually non existent and the same standard replies are usually given. If you have problem in the evening, weekend, holiday period, tough as there is no customer support during this time.

Access to online services is hit and miss even with a UK ip address that I paid extra for, with both Sony and Microsoft reporting my location as outside the UK, even though I am in the North. Yet NWE say the problem is not theirs. Who do I believe? Two multibillion organizations with a vast support network or an ISP with poor support and a service that at times is not fit for purpose.

Sadly due to my rural location I don't really have any other options as BT Adsl is 512k only, but I would not recommend this service.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:58:36
Print Post

[re: dilligaf1967] [link to this post]

It never fails to amaze me , people use a service for many years and moan about how rubbish it is but still continue to use it.

You always have a choice, if a "reliable" 256kbps from the phone line is preferred then sign up for it, don't use the service of a company that has at least bothered to provide you a service that you clearly prefer to what else is on offer in your area.

ranting on a public forum certainly isn't going do anything to encourage the ISP to improve their service but it might make them think twice about continuing their offering to you.

Suppliers have the same choice as customers. They do not have to provide it, you do not have to subscribe to it. simple.

I am not aware of the funding structure for NWE but if they put in the service at their cost/investment , without £M of public funding and you have no other company wishing to service you, then I would advise you put the safety on before you blow your feet away.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Thu 16-Jan-14 09:20:52
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Nothing wrong with warning potential customers about terrible service, e.g. performance not as advertised, no customer support etc.

At least then they can take that into account before deciding whether to sign up or not.

There's even a sub-forum here for that very purpose!

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User smurf46
(member) Sun 19-Jan-14 14:07:49
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Must admit I always have a difficulty when people just tell me something is rubbish. Often it seems to tell me more about their psychology than the service. Inevitably there's a reason, and it's either a reason you can do something about or one you can't. In either case what you need is a workaround, to me; but that's the last thing that most people seem to be interested in.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 19-Jan-14 18:00:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by kijoma:
It never fails to amaze me , people use a service for many years and moan about how rubbish it is but still continue to use it.

You always have a choice, if a "reliable" 256kbps from the phone line is preferred then sign up for it, don't use the service of a company that has at least bothered to provide you a service that you clearly prefer to what else is on offer in your area.

ranting on a public forum certainly isn't going do anything to encourage the ISP to improve their service but it might make them think twice about continuing their offering to you.

Suppliers have the same choice as customers. They do not have to provide it, you do not have to subscribe to it. simple.

I am not aware of the funding structure for NWE but if they put in the service at their cost/investment , without £M of public funding and you have no other company wishing to service you, then I would advise you put the safety on before you blow your feet away.

There are many customers who cannot have a fixed line service. The only alternatives are satellite or wireless.
The terms of supply are up to 24 months, upfront costs high. A service is offered which is not fulfilled. The only way out is costly.
Surely if a service is offered, the supplier should honour this.
Forums like this at least offer potential subscribers an insight into what they may expect.
Standard User dilligaf1967
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 16:13:27
Print Post

Kijoma, you are MD of a Broadband company so obviously you are an expert on this provider.

Rural Northern Ireland is somewhat different to other regions with scant choice of supplier. So when a company presents what seems to be a solution to the problem of slow broadband who would not sign up for it. However from my experience over the last year or so they are not able to reliably deliver that service and do not appear to have the desire, manpower or skill set required to rectify problems.

From what I have read online they receive funding from DETI, part of Northern Ireland Executive.

Yes, as you mentioned we do have a choice, but when one is paying for a service that is not being received and in a 12 month contract for a service that continually has problems and has zero Customer Services then I think I am entitled to warn others of the caveats of using this service and that it is not all that it appears.

Edited by dilligaf1967 (Wed 22-Jan-14 20:54:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to