User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slimj
(member) Thu 15-Mar-12 09:22:49
Print Post

Re: What next for WISPs

[re: vfast_tim] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response Tim.

Looking forward to hearing about the upgrades in the future then! smile As Yaz say's, if you need any trialists I'm happy to help also.

Cheers
James

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User smurf46
(member) Thu 15-Mar-12 10:01:07
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

OK, time for a bit more controversy. I get fed up with meaningless mantras like "competition is good", "all I can eat", "fastest" and "cheapest". Time to get out of the kindergarden. Nothing wrong with liking cheap, but if we want to swap slogans then "you get what you pay for" is one to bear in mind too.

You're trying it on in running a business on a residential connection, but often you can get away with it (and I've done so too) but you might not get what you want and/or might mess it up for others too by hogging your connection. But i don't have sympathy (and nor I suspect do others) for the resultant moaning. Many WISPs offer a business option.

VOIP is great and better than analogue (which is obsolete tech), I have both. But the English are addicted to their "rosy" past, and you can always think of an excuse (like what happens when I need to make an emergency call in a power cut or I won't cross the road this morning because I might get run over), and I've even read some on forums claim their bodies can detect fixed wireless signals in a locality! Sometimes they're even abducted by aliens (well it's as good an explanation as any).

Much fixed line broadband is limited by or affected by faults on the infrastructure, which are the devil to deal with, and BT simply don't maintain the local loop (not wickedness but economics), they do piecemeal repairs. What first attracted me to fixed wireless was it bypasses all that dodgy stuff, the air is a fantastic transmission medium, not fault prone neither does it need repair, and the network architecture is often much simpler.It's as close to WYSIWYG broadband as you can get, short of full FTTP. Not to mention that a cable modem is a much simpler and reliable piece of kit than a modem/router, and it's no coincidence that BT use separate kit at last for fibre-based services. Contention can be an issue, but I can equally as well argue that is the fault of the extreme hoggers rather than the network, and the same can be true of fixed networks. That said, I've not noticed any such problems, but then most people are reasonable. Do any of you follow the lengthy performance sagas on all varieities of DSL which afflict this forum?

Since the cable operators stopped their roll-out I'd suggest that all the competition has done nothing to improve the infrastructure. In my locality you can have BT-based 20CN or 21CN, LLU, cheap or expensive ISPs and you'll still get a max 4Meg ADSL. Improvement comes through BT's commercial decisions on technological deployment, same as for the WISP's then.

So, even though I've FTTC now on the landline, BT still need to give me an acceptable speed range of 12-37Mbps - no faults are accepted below the min, and yes it does achieve the max but also regularly runs at the min. And some of the cheaper providers throttle downloads to or below the min anyway, so BT's best can be no better than my fixed wireless service. And the fact that at best a download on FTTC which I can do in 10 minutes might take 25 minutes on the fixed wireless, well that's a real downer isn't it: NO. I'd hit the FTTC download limit well before it became a practical problem.

Still if we want to discuss broadband in terms of a comic book, it doesn't matter does it?

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 15-Mar-12 10:49:07)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 12:39:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'm more than happy with Vfast the service has only been interrupted twice since I've switched to them (2 years) . I was kind of worried from reading other peoples experiences that there may be some down time here and there before I signed up.

If there was anything I'd think that needs improving it's speed and that's from a purely selfish (always wanting more) attitude I have as I'm getting 20 down and over 8 upload as it is. I wouldn't mind 50 down and 20 upload just so I can do things even faster tongue most services like Virgin have just doubled people's speeds and those on the 100mb services in cities are just getting upload speeds I already get with vfast (all be it their download speeds are almost 5x mine) it all depends what you use the service for.

I upload Videos/Work data that is upwards of 20-25GB a day at times. And the service is good enough to get these files uploading within a 6-7 hour time frame (as opposed to impossible on my old adsl line) I simply wouldn't be able to be self employed without Vfast which I've now used for almost 2 years.

I'd like the upload speed increased but I understand I may be a unique case compared to 99% of the people they provide for. If and when they can I hope they focus on upload speeds more than download as I'd imagine it's a less intensive upgrade on the service they provide, 20mb upload anyone ? or am I being too greedy.

I've rambled on but needless to say vfast have been excellent as far as I'm concerned.

So Vfast please upgrade the service asap for your more selfish clientele thanks

You, mate, are taking the [censored]. I hope you're not the cause of problems for other people (I suspect you are).

You're running a business on a residential connection which from what I recall is against the T&C of the connection.

I sincerely hope you're disconnected as that volume of traffic "daily" will definitely be disrupting other users.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 19:23:14
Print Post

What a pleasant person you must be in real life. I upload in the off peak hours (11am-5am) as recommended to me, I don't run a traditional business, I earn revenue from my online work and expertise which Vfast helps me to accomplish. Whether or not I was earning revenue from my work I'd still be producing/uploading the content I provide the fact I do doesn't change anything it could just as easily be called a hobby (what I'm doing)

I said 20-25GB at times (depends how much content I've produced and how big the files are) it's usually around 8-10GB) but regardless all of it is uploaded/processed in the off-peak times as recommended to me. It's usually a 3 hour upload job most days so most likely doesn't affect anyone, it it did (after 2 years with them) something would have been done.

Nice assumptions though it's not like they're serving 1000's of residential customers and dozens possibly hundreds of businesses. They'll have bandwidth tenfold of what I'd ever take up even if I uploaded all day.

Thankfully Vfast don't share the same point of view.

If I was downloading torrents/uploading illegal content or whatever else I could understand you having a problem with my activity the fact I upload off-peak should cause very little issue for anyone else on the service especially with the times I access the upload speeds at full throttle.
Standard User vfast_tim
(newbie) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:45:07
Print Post

Hi Anonymous #2

There is a grey line between home working and running a business from home.

I think a lot of people work from home on occasion these days. Nothing wrong with that on a residential connection. However running a full-time business out of your home on a residential connection would be a breach of our terms.

10GB upload off-peak is not a problem, so long as not every day.

An upload at 1Mbps continuously for 24 hours would be more of a problem, still ~10GB in a day, but it's how and when it's done that could be a problem, not so much about the amount.

Kind Regards,

Tim Higgs
Vfast internet | Technical Support
0845 121 1257 | support (at) vfast.co.uk | twitter: @vfast_net
Standard User vfast_tim
(newbie) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:46:57
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hi slimj and Yaz

I'm sure you'll be the first to know when we have something new to trial smile.

Kind Regards,

Tim Higgs
Vfast internet | Technical Support
0845 121 1257 | support (at) vfast.co.uk | twitter: @vfast_net
Standard User darrenorbital
(learned) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:55:30
Print Post

HI Guys,

Not really sure where this thread is heading now, the simple fact is we strive to provide the best possible service to our customers (in the thousands) and I feel we do a good job. It can be disheartening when the minority (Mr Anonymous) feel that by being the only provider in an area is holding them to randsom. The simple fact is that unless we invested the money in providing an area with poor or no connectivity, there would be no service at all, as such surely we are doing a good thing ?

Some area's we have done have been funded by KCC, I can tell you that the real cost of rolling out these areas is far more than the funding recieved and we invest heavily ourselves. The monthly costs we charge are nothing to do with having a monopoly but are set at a level at which we can provide real techies on the end of the phone, provide 24hour network fault teams and also make money to stay in Business. Costs are often reviewed and may well come down in the future with economy of scale.

I would rather someone not be a customer than feel that they are "forced" to use our service.

All in all, i really believe that the majority of our customers appreciate the hard work we put into building and constantly improving our network and do not feel trapped into using us.

Best Regards
Darren
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Fri 16-Mar-12 09:45:18
Print Post

[re: darrenorbital] [link to this post]

Hi,

I couldn't agree with Darren more on this "ransom" claim.

We have had people and even Parish councils via their chairman ordering their parishioners NOT to take up our service as we are a "monopoly" . They will then spend years trying to get a BT service at great expense, even though as a market 1 exchange area, BT are also a clear monopoly.

If we say "you can use a mobile dongle", they moan it is too slow or flaky. Is that our fault?, nope it is the mobile providers.. If we suggest satellite then it is the "too expensive" and "slow" argument.. Again none of this is a failure of Kijoma .

It seems some people are not happy to have a commercial service provider invest in their area if it is "not BT". To amplify this District and County Councils promote BT as the solution (even down to direct email/flyer adverts for BT infinity ,a retail product, from councillors).

Some campaigners in certain areas have even gone as far as to fabricate stories about wireless and lie to people and Council officials in order to prevent household/businesses from signing up to our service. Why? , well it will reduce the number of people in need of Broadband and reduce the weight of their campaign for Fibre and the potential for gaining funds to give to guess who...

Fortunately most people get fed up with being told to wait and eventually sign up for service and are super happy with the service they get. Even if they could of had it 3-4 years ago had the public servants served them instead of pointlessly pursuing a commercial company (BT) who have declared over and over again that it is not viable for them to do.

Vfast do have an advantage in that KCC acknowledge their existence and work with them. Makes me wish we had started in Kent and not Sussex over 7 years ago smile . Although i am sure Darren wouldn't agree tongue

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User smurf46
(member) Fri 16-Mar-12 10:07:06
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Local WISPs do a darned good job on the whole and their services are competitive with BT's best (which isn't often achieved). That's my experience.

But slagging people off (even if justified) does no credit and creates an unprofessional image which damages any business. In my opinion. Perhaps see NextGenUs (news) for the evidence.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User slimj
(member) Fri 16-Mar-12 12:51:01
Print Post

[re: darrenorbital] [link to this post]

I also agree with Darren.

I fail to see the Monopoly argument. If you don't want a decent high speed service then stick with BT with your connection drop outs and slow speeds. I also think many people want a great service for nothing, which just isn't possible. I think £25 per month is a fair price for the basic package.

When the KCC funding was announced for our village there were (as far as I remember) 2 businesses bidding, VFast and Call Flow Solutions, the best business (and perhaps as they were already operating in our village) got the funding. Take up in our village looks good too.

Wireless is a great alternative for those of us not in an area where ADSL (or Fibre) coverage is available as BT simply cannot warrant the costs of connecting our villages to a high speed service. Without VFast I would still be stuck on a 0.5Mbps flaky service which is no good to me, instead I've been surfing at speeds of up to 50Mbps! I don't see BT offering me that service any time soon?!?

James

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to