User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Sun 06-May-12 11:53:28
Print Post

Re: What next for WISPs

[re: anglianbroadband] [link to this post]

Hi,

Totally Agree. We long gave up chasing any central funding as it has been made clear by all levels of the poorly educated political hierarchy that any BDUK money will go to BT. BT's pricing model for Ducts and poles drove all the other big guys away from the Framework apart from Fujitsu who are only interested it seems in certain areas. (read that as profitable large urban).

It seems a bizarre case of Stockholm Syndrome if viewed from the outside. We have one organisation holding us all Hostage but at the same time we look to them for the solution to the mess they made in the first place.

The Nigerian scammer email model is not at all dissimilar.. Keep giving your money to the man making the promises and he will keep taking it until you stop.

Then you have no money and nothing is delivered. Wait a few years then go back to the very same scammer and repeat..

I believe the money should NOT be given to any provider and as has been proven by a certain Welsh ISP, providing the funds to the end customer to pay for a service is equally flawed when the ISP sets the installation price just under the top level of the Grant. Considerably more than what it would cost to actually install.

Leave Broadband provision to the commercial industry behind it to resolve as it is more than capable of doing so with private investment. Well it is except of course nearly all existing ISP's are parasites to the near Monopoly "open access" infrastructure of Openreach and are therefore entirely dependent on it for their existence.

It is easy money for them, albeit with miniscule profit margins and total reliance on another companies network performance i.e. If you get 1 Mbps ADSL or 20 MBps FTTC from one provider then its most likely going to be the speed you get from any other as the limit is the last mile which no wholesale ISP has any control over.

Yet we are told that this "open access" model where all ISP'S pay to use it is competitive and independent companies like ours are "monopolies" as we run our own networks supplying our own customers and have the ability to upgrade/improve/expand service wherever/ whenever we wish to and the fast growing technology allows.

Having a Monopoly on a good service in an area at market comparable pricing is not an evil monster that needs squashing. It shows that other providers are unable or unwilling to compete in these areas, mainly as most are Leech like attached to one carriers infrastructure.

It would be nice if some people stopped viewing independent companies that provide them a fast reliable service as a necessary Evil that they must get away from as soon as they can so they can get "proper broadband" from their flaky old phone lines.

I won't be holding my breath waiting though as of course as soon as these people get their golden calf in the form of a disguised white elephant they will be complaining about how bad it is and demanding more money is given to the captor they so willingly wished themselves to be taken Hostage by in the first place.

If of course people released their antique grip on using phone lines for telephone too then the benefits and savings become far more evident. But this would erode the copper giants "monopoly".

We cannot have this now can we?

In reply to a post by anglianbroadband:
Based on previous experience I take a cynical attitude to these government schemes. I assume there is a great deal of corruption which must result in the users and small operators being the losers and those in charge and those big companies being the winners. Once you understand the outcome it is easier to work out the game plan they are using.

If chasing the funding will drain your resources then they will encourage you to chase the funding. If including you on any coverage maps would help you then they will exclude you. If people are crying out for broadband then funding will be made available, if they get broadband then the funding dries up.

If you look at what they are doing it's obvious that they plan to keep the broadband away from people who don't have it and keep those people from finding your service. If they went much further than this then we could have them put in prison.

The council man is obviously a very smart politician who knows exactly what he is doing. By chasing the funding you are playing his game. Unless you are equally good a liar, sorry politician then you will not only lose but will have lost valuable installation and marketing time in the process.

The only democratic way of running this is as a business. The market wants broadband so the market better pay what it costs to connect it. Individual people can spend their own money how they chose. It is up to us to tell them what we can do for them and up to them to get their wallets out. Hoping some crooks and liars are going to do something good for you is an insane delusion if you are one of the good guys.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-May-12 11:57:36
Print Post

[re: anglianbroadband] [link to this post]

Hear Hear.

Just look what happened to Next Gen Us. They chased for funding but couldn't get it, wasted time and resources, now they have gone.

It's not always this way though.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Mon 07-May-12 14:23:44
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Hi,

to be honest it looks like NGus was setup in the way many businesses are. Get an idea, have a limited supply of money, spend most of it on marketing, fancy websites, publicity and then hope you can get enough customers to actually cover all the costs later.

There seemed to be a reliance on gaining funding, effectively.

The total external funding received by Kijoma over 7 years amounts to about £7000 . £5000 was a succesful tender to provide Broadband to the Villages of East Marden, Chilgrove, Norh Marden, Up Marden and the hamlet of Hooksway in West Sussex back in 2005.

The remainder was from a District council to provide Broadband to a councillor, as part of that we also enabled access to our service to all the neighbours of said councillor. This was ~2007

So from this it should be clear we do not rely on external funding, we run commercially and profitably without the need for excess service charges or constant handouts.

What I primarily object to is having a competitor who has declared some of the areas we cover as commercially unviable for their business model/technology then as a result receiving significant amounts of Tax payers money in order to make it viable.

Another thing i also object to is the way land owners are encouraged to charge rent for wireless relay installations at "commercial mast rates" but at the same time only receive a token ~£12 a year for a telegraph pole.

A pole owned and profited from by its commercial owner, and the very Poles/Ducts that would allow them to provide a 2 Mbps ADSL service over without having to change anything or pay more rental etc..

Perhaps somebody could tell me the difference between a pole that feeds 20 houses by telephone cable and a pole that feeds 20 houses by wireless. The main difference i see is £12 a year vs £700 a year (often per aerial).

Just think of the revenue stream if every telegraph pole on private land attracted £700 a year smile

In reply to a post by 5km:
Hear Hear.

Just look what happened to Next Gen Us. They chased for funding but couldn't get it, wasted time and resources, now they have gone.

It's not always this way though.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-May-12 22:50:25
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

I think the response to you was fair - you are proposing a service which isn't open access to other companies, where as BT laying shoddy cabling will allow competition.

It's a bit moronic in that Kijoma would offer a much better service than some [censored] overhead copper/aluminium last mile stuff, but it does make sense if your aim is just to have lots of choice.
Standard User partial
(learned) Wed 09-May-12 21:02:25
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kijoma:
Makes me wish we had started in Kent and not Sussex

Call Flow seem to be quietly getting on with Wireless, LLU and Sub Loop Unbundling in Sussex. Indeed with state aid in some cases. I drive by a Call Flow SLU cabinet most days.

As I see things, the punters want broadband but they want to buy it from BT,TalkTalk and Sky. The council is right to consider this when dishing out taxpayers cash. Competition is what it's all about.

The uncomfortable truth for the small, closed to competition local operators from my experience is that their the punters regard it as second best.

Edited by partial (Wed 09-May-12 21:07:55)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-May-12 23:42:28
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

As a VFast user i'm glad Kijoma didn't start in Kent, would have ended up with much higher prices and lower usage limits crazy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to