User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:28:21
Print Post

Re: Community Co-Op Broadband Project

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The problem with the BDUK funding is that it only provides a minimum connection speed of 2mbps. It might be difficult for Councils to justify spending more than the minimum to achieve this for the last 10%.

Michael Chare
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:42:48
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

The problem with the BDUK funding is that it only provides a minimum connection speed of 2mbps.

Oh no it doesn't. Much of it is going on "Superfast".

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-12 17:56:08
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
The problem with the BDUK funding is that it only provides a minimum connection speed of 2mbps.

Oh no it doesn't. Much of it is going on "Superfast".
Yes, but not everyone gets "Superfast". "They" only have to provide 2mbps to the last 10%. Once they have provided Superfast to 90% and 2mbps to the remainder they have met their goals. How can they then justify spending more? - even if I might like them to.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Sat 21-Apr-12 17:31:20
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi Glen
I run a small wireless internet service in Basingstoke. I'd be happy to give you some pointers. Your biggest problem is going to be getting backhaul into your community, from which to distribute to your users. Send me the postcodes of some central places in the village that have line of sight to your customer premises and I can get some ballpark ideas for you.

hope I can help...

Rgds
Tim robinson

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Fast wireless broadband for Basingstoke www.hiwifi.co.uk
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Apr-12 21:32:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

If I had you £10m what do you do

Update 10000 of the slowest lines to superfast, leaving 25,000 on what they are now.
Update 30000 lines to superfast and spend enough on 5000 lines to get them 2Meg

If the BDUK pot were larger the 10% would be smaller, and in some areas it will be smaller as councils are putting in more of their own money.

Fibre is technically no harder to get to people in remote areas, just costs more due to the greater distance involved. Some areas are looking at 4G overlays to give 100% coverage levels at 4G type speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Thu 26-Apr-12 14:38:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I agree that there is a conundrum. However once you set the principle of a minimum that raises the question of what the minimum should be. These days I could make a case for the minimum being enough for one stream of HD TV

BT do appear to be making progress with FTTP. There is a half of me that would not object to a much larger connection charge if that meant that I could get the service sooner, and the other half objects to the idea of paying more than everyone else!

Michael Chare
Standard User anglianbroadband
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 14:29:09
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hello Glenn,

The money that your community has stumped up should be enough to get you started.
Scotland is 'hilly' to say the least but you can use that to your advantage to zig-zag wireless signals down the glens. The lochs are nice and flat so you can get signal from one shore to another. You may need to get very good at solar and wind power and batteries for mountain top repeater stations. Someone within wireless reach will have a decent ADSL service. You can kick off by connecting to that or to the Satellite service you mentioned. Just plug the CAT5 cable in and let NAT and DHCP do the rest wink

I maybe over simplifying but if you think it's too difficult you won't try.

People have high expectations these days, if they can't watch TV in HD over the Internet they throw their toys out of the pram. The biggest impact of Internet is simpler things such as web sites, email, online banking, social networking and a bit of YouTube. If you want to watch TV then buy a TV.

Set your sights on what matters and get on with it. You have computer experts and people who can climb roofs within your community. So what if they don't have a government approved certificate, do you ask the government before blowing your nose (I was going to say something else)?

This is your community and way of life you are defending so behave as the situation requires smile

Connecting you to 2meg or more in rural Essex
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 16:13:53
Print Post

[re: anglianbroadband] [link to this post]

I've done computing support for these guys

http://www.tegola.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Might be able to have a chat and see what's possible, if you're still interested.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Mon 07-May-12 14:30:56
Print Post

[re: gr0mit] [link to this post]

its good to see the free consultancy paid off ...

In reply to a post by gr0mit:
Hi Glen
I run a small wireless internet service in Basingstoke. I'd be happy to give you some pointers. Your biggest problem is going to be getting backhaul into your community, from which to distribute to your users. Send me the postcodes of some central places in the village that have line of sight to your customer premises and I can get some ballpark ideas for you.

hope I can help...

Rgds
Tim robinson

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Mon 07-May-12 15:09:36
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Hi Bill
I think free consultancy is a bit of an exaggeration! I recall you being rather cagey the equipment you used etc.

At the time I was trying to get Kijoma to cover Basingstoke - and looking back at my emails of Feb 2010 I introduced you to the council and tried to get you in touch with the owners of the tall buildings in Basingstoke. I also offered you use of my own house at the top of the hill to site your antennas. Last correspondence I had from you was in Feb 2010... In June 2010 I gave up waiting and I had an FTTC line installed in another part of town in order to feed my own house via wireless.

We started our wifi service in late Summer 2010 with a few frustrated neighbours who were asking me to share my FTTC line, and it grew from that. I think if Kijoma had delivered the service I would not have bothered doing it myself. It's all a moot point now, as most of Basingstoke has FTTC. I just fill in for some of the missing cabs. I think you probably made the right commercial decision by not deploying here.

Anyhow - just wanted to put the record straight.
With my best wishes etc.

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Fast wireless broadband for Basingstoke www.hiwifi.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to