User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-May-12 21:40:13
Print Post

Re: FREE Community WiFi Broadband - Not a myth!!

[re: communityuk] [link to this post]

Bigger [censored] than any other company i've ever seen on these forums...

I really just see this as a sponge for public money that could go towards funding a legitimate future proofed provider such as BT/Kijoma/Virgin/VFast.

Any money that goes to you is money taken from these established people and your stop gap service HOPEFULLY won't satisfy the councils enough that they stop looking for people to plug notspots and slowspots.

Your service looks so incredibly like "Right we can offer you a service, guarenteed!" and then use some shoddy satellite link as your backhaul, this is absolutely rubbish...

You're providing absolutely NO transparency and frankly any community looking for a long term robust solution should absolutely NOT contact you. There are many many successful and reliable companies on these forums who would be able to install futureproofed broadband services to the home which will not get analled by other users, won't be succeptable to the problems of open WiFi and don't have horrible traffic shaping/net blocking software.

Not to mention all other ISPs are far more transparent about their network structure. Your service is a [censored] long shot and honestly anyone with half a brain wouldn't want to waste time and potentially money in contacting you.

Please disclose more or you will have wasted your time here and also made yourself and your company to be a bunch of fly by nighters.
Standard User communityuk
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 21:56:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Just what is it that you want and what is it you don't believe? What level of "transparency" are you actually after? Shall we just tell everyone here every last detail of how we do what we do? That makes no commercial sense whatsoever other than to those who need that information to try and protect their own often overpriced services?

We are an honest, straightforward company run by honest, straightforward people who believe in providing an honest and straightforward service to their customers that also benefits their community as a whole?

Simply put, if it is already working very well where it is, why can you not believe our service cannot be replicated anywhere else? That just doesn't make any sense?

As to "taking money" money from the big boys, why the heck not?!? Why on earth should there be a monopoly in the industry?? There is nothing wrong with honest and fair competition and the public deserves there to be.

As to future proofing, why on earth do you assume that our service is not capable of upscaling and developing when and where it needs to?

All in all, as I have said before, I expect that many of the providers you mention will attempt to ridicule what we are doing for no other reason than to protect their own revenue and profits. It seems to me that this is going on here too.

Your advice to others is unquestionably biased for sue strange (or perhaps obvious) reason and not at all helpful. Let people approach us, let them get the information they need and let them make there own, objective decisions when they have it it.

Keep on please and so will we smile

Regards,
Peter Reed-Forrester
CommunityUK.net Ltd
Tel: 0845 077 4014
Mob: 07828 075140
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.communityuk.net
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-May-12 23:18:36
Print Post

As someone who has been involved in the Leigh Park community for many years I can speak with authority. I am not Peter Reed-Forrester, but I do know him.
I have worked with many local organisations, including the voluntary sector, education and the local authorities, in an effort to help regenerate the area which has suffered for many years from unemployment etc. I can honestly say that the free broadband is and has made a huge difference to many who canoot otherwise afford to get online.

Many children in the area come from families who cannot otherwise afford to get online, they are now able to do their homework properly, people who are out of work and struggling can now look for work online. I couldn't give a toss about what model works or what kit is used or how fast it is or whether the signal originates from sputnik - the reality is that there are many hundreds of people who are now accessing the web who otherwise could not. I have no idea who all those people are who are knocking what community uk are doing but I can tell you that the service is here, it is free, reliable and has been so for over a year. Long may it continue, and the sooner it is across the country the better for many many thousands of people who cannot otherwise access the web.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-May-12 23:25:14
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
As someone who has been involved in the Leigh Park community for many years I can speak with authority.
Prove it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Wed 16-May-12 00:44:44
Print Post

hey, if somebody follows the director links on the company check page i linked, that is their choice.

I find it interesting that you consider a wifi system is somehow going to cause us concern as "they are on our doorstep" . My only concern is the potential damage of what i see as Marshmallow marketing with a potentially flawed underlying solution.

http://bigastroandbeyond.blogspot.co.uk/2006/12/here...

You may of been doing what you do for years, it doesn't necessarily mean you have always been getting it right tho?

Lets hope your current venture matches up to the marketing hype as it would be unfortunate if another hypermarketed bubble bursts with the word "wireless" attached to it.

In retrospect this was probably not the best section of the forum to post your advert in tbh.

Best of luck with the venture.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User communityuk
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 09:13:03
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Bill,

For someone who has nor fear of competition to be surfing around at quarter to one in the morning , trying to dig up dirt and posting what can only be described as a shoddy and cynical attempt at a personal attack to try and discredit my company and I is quite interesting not to mention sad.

In "retrospect", I think my original posting has done a great deal of good if all it has achieved is to expose you as a perpetrator of this kind of thing to the readers of this forum and indeed our industry.

Half of me wanted to simply ignore you but the other half dictates I defend myself for the sake of my company, my colleagues and our many, many customers.

So let me put you right about events in Spain.

The post you found and linked to, as people will see relates to events in 2006. The comments are, unfortunately, extremely ill informed.

Wi-Surf, which was indeed started by myself and was built into one of Spain's earliest, successful WISP's, providing services to users across urbanisations from Murcia to Valencia.

At that time, thousands upon thousands of ex-pats and Spaniards lived in Urbanisations that we're literally years away from getting basic copper telephone lines, let alone any Broadband. We provided a robust and successful solution for them by bringing in Satellite Internet and distributing the service to individual users via WIFI networks.

We used the right and best technology for the situation and had hundreds upon hundreds of very satisfied customers who otherwise would have been completely disconnected from the outside world, families overseas etc.

In fact, one of our customers was so happy, he has bought into CommunityUK and works with s now!

Unfortunately, in early 2006, the company's Satellite Internet Service Provider Aramiska suddenly and without warning collaped and their service was cut off. As I am sure readers will understand, this had nothing to do with little old Wi-Surf not paying it's bills, which NEVER was the case. Their collapse was a huge blow to us and many others.

Perhaps if readers would like to look at this Think Broadband link, they can read about Aramiska's collapse and the truth of my statement. Also a Google search on "aramiska satellite" will produce links to other articles on the subject.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/2524-surprise-shu...

After many frantic weeks of searching for a new service which could replace Aramiska and the hundreds of dead satellite dishes we had out there, we were about to sign a deal with a Spanish supplier when a company called Ouranos announced their takeover of Aramiska's assets and service and switched us back on.

Hurrah we thought! Although this awful time had cost our customers a lost connection and Wi-Surf thousands in lost revenue, at least we were back up and running, our customers on-line again and money saved not having to replace all those satellite dishes.

Then around July/August 2006 for personal reasons surrounding the serious illness of my wife (she later died), I agreed to sell out my shareholding to the investor mentioned in the article and leave Wi-Surf to concentrate more on my family.

This was publicly announced in the English Newspapers there and can be absolutely verified by many individuals if required regardless of any unfounded and indeed strange statements to the contrary.

Unfortunately for the investor and Wi-Surf's customers, Ouranos were short lived and the company suddenly ceased to provide services (and even speak to its customers!) in September 2006.

Again this event was NOTHING to do with Wi-Surf not paying bills!!

For reference the following links will confirm that this happened:-

http://satelit.web.id/2006/09/19/a-bridge-too-far-fo...

http://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=ivs...

As I have stated, by the time this had happened I had already left Wi-Surf and had no control whatsoever over these events or how Wi-Surf dealt with them. They had already shut our original offices down, moved them to a location far away and had let most of the original staff go. Again this can be independently corroborated if required.

In fact, I ended up loosing a lot of money though the non-payment of agreed funds by the other shareholder, which ended up causing huge distress to my already very distressed family.

So, in summary, I had actually created a fully operational and very successful WISP (technically and commercially) in a very difficult (technically and commercially) environment in Spain. A real accomplishment in my own or anybody reasonable's book.

The fact that two extremely unfortunate and wholly unexpected events damaged the company cannot be attributed to me, my expertise or my integrity in any way whatsoever - especially as I was no longer with the company at the time the second event happened.

Hopefully, this allays any fears your again nefarious attempt at discrediting my company and I has caused others.

As to your other comments, I cannot be bothered and the proof of the pudding is already in the eating, a fact you so conveniently continue to ignore.

My apologies to other readers for having to witness this but I hope you now get a good feel for who are the "good guys" here as a result.

Regards,
Peter Reed-Forrester
CommunityUK.net Ltd
Tel: 0845 077 4014
Mob: 07828 075140
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.communityuk.net
Standard User Ranvi11es
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 09:39:02
Print Post

Its a shame that what seems to be ignored is the concept behind this facility. If people get behind it, collaborate, work together for a common goal then these types of projects have more chance of success. Of course there will be technical issues with a service like this but we must remember the end user.In the case of Community UK it is families and adults that would not usually be able to afford to have access to the internet. We need to start working through these issues, work as a team and increase the amount of access to the internet so that deprived communities have access to services and facilities that will improve their lives and ultimately improve skills and confidence of people living in the UK. I wish CUK and its partners lots of luck for the future and really hope that other potential partners get behind the scheme.
Standard User David_Cowell
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 09:41:58
Print Post

It is very easy and understandable to be cynical and distrusting in our contemporary socio-economic world but if the riots of 2011 are not to pale into insignificance, our often too greedy corporations need to evolve and introduce a significant element of social entrepreneurship into their business practise.

The Sandgate Community Trust was able to secure a grant from its county council to bring reliable broadband to our community on the south east coast. The Trust’s Steering Group was responsible for appointing a provider and of the six companies that responded to the tender, CommunityUK was the only one that had a community aspect to its offering. A subsequent visit to Havant and Leigh Park showed that their marketing material was not just ‘blurb’ but delivered at the point of use.

The Sandgate system goes live over the next few weeks and I will happily share our experiences with you. I am confident it will deliver its promise but I also know that CommunityUK’s detailed obsession with education, employment and social inclusion generally will mean an area deprived of effective broadband, with an aging population will receive a measurable benefit.

I can understand and share your concerns as wireless enthusiasts etc but those amongst your ranks who have more partisan interests should declare those interests so we can judge their criticisms in that context.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 16-May-12 16:25:07
Print Post

[re: David_Cowell] [link to this post]

Hi

I'm a volunteer with CommunityUk and I think after all the personal attacks its time you heard from someone that has been helped by the company.

I'm a complete techno idiot and can just about turn my computer on but the use of the CUK free internet has completely changed my life.
I suffer from something called social phobia and also depression and anxiety. this basically means that I dont get out well on my own and being a single parent means that I spent most of my days and evenings sat in doors not being able to talk to anyone because I couldnt afford to top up my dongle.
When i met Peter, I was also cynical about what his company could do and how it would all work but to be honest, at the time I didnt care as long as I could get online and chat to people.
Since first meeting Peter, I have become more involved with the company to the extent that I am now doing a community engagement role. This means going out and talking to as many people as possible and getting the whole of the community involved in the portal. Even 6 months ago this would not have been possible for me to do. With his help and confidence in me, I have grown so much and love my voluntary role.
I actually go to meetings by myself and speak up about the company and what it can do for an area like mine.
People want to use the portal as all the local information, such as events can be found in 1 place. Its easy to connect to, and in an area of such poverty as mine the fact that it is free is brilliant. My aim is to show people that they can achieve more than they ever thought possible. I want to show them the amount of courses that are open to them to help them get back to work, or show them what groups are available locally that could help them in anyway.
If your still cynical about the company, I would suggest that you spend a day with me and see the changes that the network has had to my life and also my area as a whole.

Louise Austin
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 16-May-12 16:39:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I am not sure that I understand what Batboy's last comment means, but it does not seem to move the debate along. I have had a look at all the posts and would say that people are coming at it from the wrong angle - probably because this is a technical forum. As I understand it, what CommunityUK is doing at Leigh Park is about community engagement and development. Technology is (only) the enabler to this. I am not qualified to comment definitively as all I know is from what I have heard from Peter Reed-Forrester (not an independent view) and from the original BBC click programme (pretty much an independent view?). However, I have not seen anything to suggest that what CommunityUK is doing is somehow a con or that you they are not investing a great deal of effort in putting something back into society. The technical bit is a 'black box' to me but as far as I can see if the CommunityUK approach works technically and as a cohesive force in society then it needs to be supported rather than attacked by cynics.

Keith A
Newcastle
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to