User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Sep-12 14:44:31
Print Post

allpay speed problems

[link to this post]

My speeds are not as they should be so I sent a email to allpay and had a phone message left to say that they got problems with their fibre feed but it should be back up in the next few days.

so the few people on these forums that are on allpay, now you know.

these things happens, but I think they should have a fault link on the website, so we know.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Sep-12 20:07:49
Print Post

Re: allpay speed problems

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Did they upgrade from the Zen ADSL2+ backhaul they were using then?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Sep-12 22:58:49
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
Did they upgrade from the Zen ADSL2+ backhaul they were using then?

I updated to the 10 megabits a few days back and it was great, over 10 megabits I was getting and then it went back to under five.

I had a message to say that it is a fibre feed problem going into their office in Kington? i think that is what he said.

I doubt very much if they are using a ADSL2+ backhaul, but they are still using Zen as I can tell by the DNS servers and speed tests.

These things happens, i was a bit annoyed at first because I only just started to pay for the higher speed, but i still getting a better speed than I did with my last ISP.

they still need a fault notice system so people know if there is a problem and what is being done to sort it.

They are phoning me back up tomorrow, I will suggest that to them.

i want to stay with allpay, so I will give them a a chance to sort things out, just like I did when I was with Bt a few years back.

Adrian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Sep-12 23:08:59
Print Post

Well problems with fibre circuits (leased lines) do happen. Should be fixed very quickly, after all a leased line will have an SLA.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User funkyboy
(learned) Tue 11-Sep-12 23:11:38
Print Post

mys been bit slow but ok now speed is only at 5 should be geting 10
Standard User funkyboy
(learned) Tue 11-Sep-12 23:17:09
Print Post

just did a speed test
10.2 down
1.5 up
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Sep-12 08:28:46
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
Well problems with fibre circuits (leased lines) do happen. Should be fixed very quickly, after all a leased line will have an SLA.

I thought he said next week, but he could have said the end of this week.
I know problems happen, it is how they deal with the problem after I bother about.

It may be slower than it should be, but I am still getting a faster service than I did with my old ISP, not the ISP fault mind you that was down to distance from exchange.

but in this instance I am paying for the extra speed, which I am not getting at the moment.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Sep-12 08:32:36
Print Post

[re: funkyboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by funkyboy:
just did a speed test
10.2 down
1.5 up

Around 5 down and not even a megabit up.
It is inconsistent but if they have a fibre problem then it will be.

I want to see what this service is really like, now they updated their bandwidth and as yet I have not been able to smile

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(learned) Wed 12-Sep-12 14:47:15
Print Post

thats not good mys stil 8-10
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Sep-12 20:43:07
Print Post

Been told that they was sent a wrong router from their suppliers that can not cope with the bandwidth, so they are waiting for another one.

it is like sticking a 100Mb/s switch on a network that is 1000Mb/s

Adrian

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 13-Sep-12 16:57:49
Print Post

just did a speed test
10.2 down
1.5 up

unless they are limiting your upload speed, 1.5 Mbps upload is definitely not fed from a Fibre.. 1.5 Up sounds just like ADSL2+ , Fiber is symmetric , There are good reason for limiting the upload speed, however 1.5 is a bit low, unless you are on a "budget" tariff.

your latency (delay) to sites like wwww.bbc.co.uk should be around 10-15 ms , maybe less too.

Fibre "problems" usually mean no service , not poor service and as stated they have an SLA on them which means they do not stay broke for long.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Standard User funkyboy
(learned) Thu 13-Sep-12 22:48:13
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

they are using a fiber line, i have a fiber netgear router
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 13-Sep-12 23:48:22
Print Post

they are using a fiber line, i have a fiber netgear router

erm you are a customer?, you have a fibre into your house?

You do realise if it comes via an Openreach Fibre then it will have one of their supplied NTE's ?

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Sep-12 11:14:22
Print Post

I have experienced a fibre line (BT EAD) with "poor" service rather than no service. It was down to ethernet negotiation issues and was fixed as soon as the relevant port on our router was told not to auto-negotiate. BT in their infinite wisdom do not point this out to you when you order the service! Heck, they do not even point it out to you when you moan about the speeds you are getting over the link - they just test it with their own kit, show you it works and then try to send you a bill! Mind you, that was 9 years ago, so maybe they have improved their support since then? smile

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
===============================================
Miso
A new force in VoIP provision!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Sep-12 22:20:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by kijoma:
just did a speed test
10.2 down
1.5 up

unless they are limiting your upload speed, 1.5 Mbps upload is definitely not fed from a Fibre.. 1.5 Up sounds just like ADSL2+ , Fiber is symmetric , There are good reason for limiting the upload speed, however 1.5 is a bit low, unless you are on a "budget" tariff.

your latency (delay) to sites like wwww.bbc.co.uk should be around 10-15 ms , maybe less too.

Fibre "problems" usually mean no service , not poor service and as stated they have an SLA on them which means they do not stay broke for long.

Fibre is from zen to Allpay office and then it is passed on to us via wireless. we pay different prices for different speeds. i was getting about 1.8Mb/s upload and 13Mb/s download when I was getting the right speed. Distance from the access point can make a difference, just like your wi-fi in the house.

I am lucky as I can see where my access point is from my garden and with my video camera zoom lens I can see the module itself, stuck on the side of the cathedral, just about.

The problem at the moment is someone sent the wrong router to allpay, so they are trying to squeeze more bandwidth though a router that is not capable of handling it. It could be a switch i suppose, hut I am pretty sure he said router.

it is suppose to get sorted this week, I hope so. Strange that some people still got their ten megabits.

i was told that we are divided into what they call buckets, again I think that is what he said and there are so many people in those buckets and they share so much bandwidth, so going by that it is the router/switch that supplies the bucket I am in which have the problem.

but then I could be wrong.

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Tue 18-Sep-12 11:38:59
Print Post

do u get 13 mb then
Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Tue 18-Sep-12 11:43:22
Print Post

dose any one knoe whos got the contrack for the broadband is it stil with allpay
Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Tue 18-Sep-12 12:10:19
Print Post

i just got a cable router to receive the the broadband
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Sep-12 18:31:45
Print Post

do u get 13 mb then

i did, now i am lucky to get five again. i know they had a problem, but surely now that should be sorted.

I not looking at 13Megabits, but I want a bit more than 5.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Sep-12 18:32:39
Print Post

i just got a cable router to receive the the broadband

that is all you need.

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Thu 20-Sep-12 21:43:20
Print Post

allpay needs to sort out the network has mys speed is at 4mb geting 10mb in the day time its just the eveing time form 4 to 12
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:31:22
Print Post

allpay needs to sort out the network has mys speed is at 4mb geting 10mb in the day time its just the eveing time form 4 to 12

Sadly you are right. I thought they may have sorted out the problem by now. i did have a phone number for the engineer but I had to restore my computer and for got to save it to zip or the network drive. so I will have to send them another email.

I was told it would be sorted by this week, if it was not the fact that I am paying a extra tenner for the extra speed I would not bother too much, but the fact is I am.

I really wanted allpay to work and at the moment it is not, well not for what I want. True the 5Mb/s I was getting was better than I could get via ADSL, but i could now get around 40Mb/s with FTTC, but I don't want to go for FTTC.

the problem is i am at work in the day time and it is difficult for me to get in touch.

i will send them a email or send them a message on facebook.

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:42:45
Print Post

when i ring up thay all say some one wil ring u back but days gobye but no one rings
Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:46:34
Print Post

love to know when cab 73 going to be done then it give me anther option to see what spped i can get with sky i was talking to bt engineer and he told me that i would get more then 10mb when it gose live once they ahve done my cab
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Sep-12 00:01:38
Print Post

when i ring up thay all say some one wil ring u back but days gobye but no one rings

Very strange, I send a email to them and I have someone phone me the next day or the same day depending on when I send the email.

i had a message left on my mobile today saying that i should have my 10 megabits back and I do.

i also found a flaw in my own network going to my main computer upstairs. I use home plugs and for some reason they seemed to have stopped working at a decent speed from upstairs to downstairs.

i stuck the laptop up here thinking it may have been my computer, but same thing, only 1Mb/s with wired network, with wireless over 11. So I took the home plugs downstairs with the laptop and they work fine.
so at the moment I am on Wi-fi on my main computer as the home plugs seems to have problems going between floors for some reason now.

but anyway apart from my network being a pain, i am now getting the speed from allpay as i found out when I went to watch numbers on netfliks and had XHD.

thanks allpay.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Sep-12 00:04:02
Print Post

love to know when cab 73 going to be done then it give me anther option to see what spped i can get with sky i was talking to bt engineer and he told me that i would get more then 10mb when it gose live once they ahve done my cab

i would not like to say, If you try and it did not work at the speed then you are stuck.

Depends how far away cab73 is from you, if I remember rightly it is a bit of a distance.

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Sat 22-Sep-12 13:18:05
Print Post

i am 2.5miles away from it but i see theres a anther one at the village hall thats number 73 a i dont know if thats dummy or not i think i be better of staying only if there going to offer 35mb or more it be nice if they do to match up with bt what do you think?

have u got internet over the mains then i take it may be you need to buy some new ones
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Sep-12 09:56:40
Print Post

i am 2.5miles away from it but i see theres a anther one at the village hall thats number 73 a i dont know if thats dummy or not i think i be better of staying only if there going to offer 35mb or more it be nice if they do to match up with bt what do you think?

Myself I am not bothered, Never seen the need for 20Mb/s or more, all I want is something around 8-10 as long as it is constant. Last night it was not and the speed went down to about 6 which is not good when I am watching netflicks as the quality goes down and also the audio changes. i will see what it is like today, Saturday is pretty busy, but then allpay should really have tripled their bandwidth.

We will see what happens over the next month or so.

If 35Mb/s was offered at the same price i am paying now then I would take it as long as it was constant, but I would not pay more for it.

have u got internet over the mains then i take it may be you need to buy some new ones

I don't think getting new homeplugs will solve the problem.

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Sun 23-Sep-12 12:25:19
Print Post

whats u speed today just did a speed test and its 2.5mb maybe its the rain
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Sep-12 12:44:52
Print Post

It is not consistent, which is the problem. It is just over six now, but earlier on it was 12. I doubt the rain would make a lot of difference.

The reason I went up to the faster speed was to get HD on netfliks, but if it can't keep to the speed i want then I may as well go back to 5megabits and save a tenner a month. i don't need the higher speed for any other reason.

i only just noticed it is raining smile

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Sun 23-Sep-12 13:39:32
Print Post

were u geting 12mb thats bit more then me the mosr i get is 10.2
Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Wed 26-Sep-12 21:01:06
Print Post

just did a speed test and its like 1.5mb whats wrong with the net work again paying for 10 and onky gerting 2mb the max
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Sep-12 21:45:56
Print Post

just did a speed test and its like 1.5mb whats wrong with the net work again paying for 10 and onky gerting 2mb the max

contention I think, in other words too many people using it, I am getting about 7-8 at the moment. i think they need to do some thing about the contention. the whole point of me paying the extra for 10 megabits is for HD viewing on netfliks. I am not that bother about HD, but I thought if I can get it then fine. but if the speed is not consistent enough then I may as well drop back to five, which to be honest does what i want for everything else.

The ten megabits was like a bit of a lucxery as I now don't have to pay a line rental.

i never had the contention problem with my ADSL service, i got 3.5 and that was it, ok it sometimes went up to 4, but that was due to the line quality not contention.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Sep-12 21:48:19
Print Post

were u geting 12mb thats bit more then me the mosr i get is 10.2

i presume it depends how far away you are from the access point. I can see the acess point building, which is the cathedral, where i am and with my cam corder on zoom, I can make out the unit. I am that close to it.

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Wed 26-Sep-12 22:39:24
Print Post

it seems to be up and down it nice to have faster speed up to 80mb be nice
Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Thu 27-Sep-12 08:53:04
Print Post

its just cross the field from me i connect to Allensmore - Coball Farm
i can see it from my module
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-12 16:30:59
Print Post

The variation in speed is a bit of a pain to be honest, certainly for what I want it for. for normal browsing or watching video in Sd it is fine, but Iplyer in HD this after noon did not work, it worked for a while and then I had to change back to SD.

Not really what I want.

i will see if it gets better over the next month, if not then I will go back to 5Mb/s. i still don't see the need for super high speed, 10Mb/s should be ideal for most people unless they watch HD videos on more than one device at a time.

i still not bothered about not have FTTC, maybe if Allpay was not available then I would think about it, but only to get a better speed than what I was getting with ADSL, all pay does that even on the 5Mb/s package.

We don't now what will happen in the next couple of years, allpay may reduce their prices, get better bandwidth, we may have less contention. what ever unless they offer awful service i am stuck with them for a couple of years. Lets see how reliable FTTC is and how many people goes for it.

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Tue 09-Oct-12 22:11:15
Print Post

are u having speed problems i thought allpay had fixed the fiber line mys like 2.5mb
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Oct-12 23:12:00
Print Post

are u having speed problems i thought allpay had fixed the fiber line mys like 2.5mb

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=13498...

Nope, just done a speed test, all is fine, I also been watching HD netflix and getting XHD,

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Mon 15-Oct-12 00:24:21
Print Post

how come u geting 12 mb then i am on 10 but geting pool speeds again
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-12 09:08:00
Print Post

i don't know, you will have to ask Allpay, they still got a problem with the fibre and going to do some work to it on the 16th between the hours of 5am and 7am. Maybe that is the problem

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2242703935.png

Adrian

Edited by zyborg47 (Mon 15-Oct-12 09:08:50)

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Sat 20-Oct-12 13:05:08
Print Post

i dont know what they have done internet bandwidth i thoughtb it was all fix but the last few days its been [censored] today my upload speed is faster then download and keeps droping out any one experience this ?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Oct-12 22:33:25
Print Post

i dont know what they have done internet bandwidth i thoughtb it was all fix but the last few days its been [censored] today my upload speed is faster then download and keeps droping out any one experience this ?

the only problem I have had for two days running was a couple of disconnects, but speed wise it have been fine. A friend of mine who also got allpay also don't seem to be having any problems. Maybe it is a problem with the relay you are using. Best to get in touch with Allpay when they reopen.

theat is the only problem I have with allpay, no weekend customer service. Ok i know if there was a problem, they would pick it up and get it fixed, so they say.

Still happy with the service I am getting, not sure if it is worth paying the extra for the extra speed mind you.

Adrian

Standard User funkyboy
(regular) Sat 20-Oct-12 22:42:55
Print Post

will do on monday do think they need 24hour support or somethink on the web site. once openreach has put in the new cab at the abbey i may change to sky fiber broadband i want to get my bills in one unless allpay can give me 30mb
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Oct-12 10:38:53
Print Post

24 hour support costs money and they do have a support for businses at the weekend but you pay for it. Don't forget that compared to other ISPs there are very few people using the service, so keeping someone there for 24 hours would be not be good financially.

We knew when we signed up, or I did anyway as I was told that support is not 24 hours.
i sent a message to some I know in Mardan to see if he is having the same problems as you. I know he is only on 5Mb/s anyway as he is a fair distance from the relay.

If you think that fibre will be better for you then by all means go for it when/if it eventually comes to you.

i can get fibre now and i knew it would not have been long when I went for allpay, but I don't require all that speed and to be honest I prefer to give my money to a local company than some big telecoms company,

Will that change in a couple of years? i don't know, anything can happen in two years, but as long as the service is fine then I will stay as I am for the time being.

just had a message back, the lad at Marden been having a few dropouts, but then so have I, but nothing worse, he still got a good speed. We know about the drop outs, I had a email from all pay telling me about them and what they was doing to sort it. Last night it did not drop once.

Maybe it is a problem with your relay.

Adrian

Edited by zyborg47 (Sun 21-Oct-12 10:44:28)

Standard User funkyboy
(member) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:31:45
Print Post

dose u internet keeps droping out
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Feb-13 21:58:55
Print Post