User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Sep-14 10:32:42
Print Post

Re: Relish

[re: ConfusedDaze] [link to this post]

Compared to other providers we do see a different shape to the speed tests, with longer rises in the download. So clearly something is different.

Would you say its more or as reliable as mobile services, rather than the reliability of the slower of ADSL services, i.e. there may be a case for people to retain a slow ADSL line for constituent ping type activities.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ConfusedDaze
(newbie) Tue 16-Sep-14 23:13:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I will say that I have noticed very little contention.

I chalk that up to there being very few users in my postcode at the moment.

Having said that they have a huge chunk of spectrum available to them in this band - but I don't know how that correlates with bandwidth in the 3.5ghz area.

It is half way between a Mobile LTE connection and a home DSL connection.

PingTest gives the connection an A, the pings are normally around the 30ms mark in the UK and more often than not you're getting 30mbit

(this is with 4 out of 5 bars of coverage showing).

The GemTek router however is [censored], it won't allow you to set an IP address or the DHCP range, you can't change anything on it barring the Wireless SSID it really is a bad idea on their part. I get that they're trying to do plug in and go but really, its not good.

To be fair the Huawei I snagged doesn't allow you to do much more but you can at least set the LAN IP and change DHCP settings and firewall settings.

Neither will allow you to bridge them to a more worthy router.

Also the GemTek router pegs at 90-99% CPU utilisation when the WiFi is turned on and you're downloading something, so its majorly under spec'd for the job.

All in all from a tech point of view Relish are a real mixed bag, I just hope they pull their finger out and get things working properly for the more technical of us.

Finally their call centre seems to be offshore, which is fine, but it seems to also be a glorified messaging centre with messages getting relayed back to UK Broadband and then the call centre coming back to you, this is a horrible setup, I've given up with my queries due to it being like that.

Anyway will keep on at it.

Thanks
ConfusedDaze

Edited by ConfusedDaze (Tue 16-Sep-14 23:14:38)

Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Mon 22-Sep-14 17:15:11
Print Post

Neither will allow you to bridge them to a more worthy router.

Can't you use dmz on the huawei to pass all the traffic through to another router ?

Huawei B222s-42 connected to ASUS RT-AC68U
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3141683986

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stopbox
(newbie) Thu 09-Oct-14 15:12:26
Print Post

Hi ConfusedDaze

My Gemtek keeps freezing, so I am thinking of buying a Huawei B593s-22.

How did you swap routers - is it as simple as swapping the SIM or do you have to setup the Huawei B593s-22 manually?

In reply to a post by ConfusedDaze:
ukhardy - two separate routers now . . .

The Huawei I am using now (B593) is slightly better than the GemTek that they shipped.
Standard User Padds
(newbie) Tue 14-Oct-14 10:42:11
Print Post

[re: stopbox] [link to this post]

I've been with Relish for about a week. Speeds are better (about double on average) than the pityful ADSL service I can receive. It's not going to set the world on fire at 16mbps download, 3ish up, but still, its better until BT can be bothered to upgrade the cabinet next to my block of flats.

I bit the bullet and bought a Huawei B593s-22 from Amazon. It doesn't work.

A little bit of further research - which would have saved me the bother of sending it back if I had done it beforehand - and it turns out that the Huawei B593s-42 (or possibly the Huawei B593s: Band 42) is the model that's required, but these have been discontinued by Huawai for some time and can't be bought for love nor money.

The reason (as pointed out) is that Relish use LTE TDD Bands 42 and 43 (3400-3600MHz in the spectrum).
There are other routers out there that seem to support these frequency bands, but getting hold of them is nigh on impossible. If anyone does know where to get hold of a router that will work, please share.

Oh, I'd agree with the ealier statement about customer service/support. Pretty awful - it has been farmed out to the Phillipines and in about 5 or 6 calls to Relish, I've only once spoken with someone who seems to know what they're talking about.

Edited by Padds (Tue 14-Oct-14 10:47:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to