User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Fri 13-Feb-15 16:41:41
Print Post

Anybody used "Clear Picture Broadband"

[link to this post]

Hi,
Has anybody had any experience of a company "ClearPicture" who are now offering Wireless broadband in Kent. I'm currently with vFast(who are very good) but just had an advertising leaflet dropped through the door from Clear Picture for wireless broadband. Looking at their website shows two unlimited packages which on the face of it are cheaper than vFast. I would consider moving but havent heard anything about them. Wouldn't want to move if they have poor quality service.

Cheers
John
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 14-Feb-15 12:25:21
Print Post

Re: Anybody used "Clear Picture Broadband"

[re: ModemMan] [link to this post]

http://www.clear-picture.co.uk/broadband/home-broadb...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 16-Feb-15 08:53:33
Print Post

I believe they probably just work with VFast, so they're likely to be just a reseller (correct me if I am wrong).

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Mon 16-Feb-15 11:03:10
Print Post

hi,

They appear to have been around since 2008 (well the main company has), looks to be quite small but bouyant smile , companycheck website doesn't show anything spectacular.

I would however be wary of any company offering "unlimited" without a cleap AuP/FuP as there is no such thing in reality.

The technology available today is good and easily accessible , the differentiating factor will always be competence with utilising it. Putting up Wireless infrastructure is relatively easy, doing it properly so it performs requires a lot more experience and technical knowledge.

If you are already using Vfast then i would be cautions in jumping ship , Vfast is a much more secure bet, with long term proven ability and financial status.

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:44:51
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Yes thats the impression I got from looking at their website especially as they are offering Sky TV. If they are reselling Sky my thoughts were they are just reselling Vfast.
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:54:21
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Thanks for your thoughts. I must admit it struck me strange there was no mention of any FUP in the T&C's. Mind you having said that, if I remember correctly in the early days Vfast didnt have anything either and last time I checked they only refer to the new packages, and the old packages (V-Home etc) are still not mentioned explicitly (so maybe they are truly unlimited!!). I agree though It was only a fleeting thought about moving ISP's, Vfast have been very good, I've got no complaints and happy with my old V-Home package so will be staying put.

Edited by ModemMan (Mon 16-Feb-15 14:24:02)

Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 16-Feb-15 16:38:03
Print Post

Where are you based? I'm in Thanet (Manston) and have been with VFast since forever. Never run in to any of the FUP data caps myself.

Service has generally been top notch but since around Christmas the connection in the evening (6pm - 11pm) has been barely usable for anything but browsing the web (lucky to get 5Mb/s), have had an engineer round and been told they're putting up another repeater that I will be moved on for faster speeds - However, this was over 1 month ago and since there has been no progress (as you can imagine, I'm not completely happy!!). Certainly not a Line of Sight issue as speeds are great during the day (25Mb/s+)!

As Manston is due to be enabled for FTTC and we're only 150m from the cabinet, it's starting to make little sense to stay with VFast. Faster speeds, lower and more stable latency, totally unlimited, for less than the £35 VFast charge for their max service. frown I really do hope VFast up their game and get the 50Mb/s+ service announced over 2 years ago rolled out.

Unfortunately, I'm moving house soon (but keeping the Manston property) and will probably rely on VFast for the next few years, so I'm hoping they can offer a better service at this new address! smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Fri 20-Feb-15 21:32:04
Print Post

Yes I'm in Woodnesborough near Sandwich and have line of sight to the transmitter in Ash. I've also been with Vfast for a good number of years and generally get a rock solid connection. In the early days used to get really fast speeds (up to 65Mb) but recent years its been what I expect on the v-Home package (15Mb / 2Mb) so can't complain as its supposedly unlimited download. I have considered moving to the newer Airfibre packages to get 24Mb but then would be on 100Gb download, not that i've ever come close to that. There have been some occasions where the connection seems a bit slow but as soon as i do a speed test it all speeds up and I get close to the expected speeds. I have BT infinity at the office and that has been very good which is just as well as BT customer service is awful. If we ever get FTTC available at home I would probably move to that as, like you say, its faster & cheaper than vfast. Did the engineer say that your current repeater is struggling withcapacity or do you think he didn't really have any answers and the "new repeater" was just to buy some time?
Standard User slimj
(member) Sat 21-Feb-15 11:09:36
Print Post

Hi,

Yes, the early days when I was moved over to the new network and running some tests for them I was getting 40mbit down, but as the network has got busier things have become slower and the latency quite sporadic (not great for gaming / Skype etc). It was superfast!

I'm surprised you're not already migrated over to the 24Mbit package as you're an existing subscriber but just pay your old rate?

Engineer and support didn't give me any reason but I am assuming it's capacity as everything is ok during the day but horrible in the evening - I guess all these streaming services are beginning to hurt the service! My antenna LOS was adjusted slightly (probably as they felt the need to look like they were doing something). I've sent countless speed tests showing the issue but the issues still remain. It has improved slightly in the past week though but still not what I would deem acceptable for something described as "Superfast" (defined as speeds in excess of 24 Mbps).

I'm connected to the repeater at Manston airport and I'm assuming that is going to be removed (due to the site being changed from an airport), hence the reason for new repeaters in the area. The wait is with the council at the moment apparently (this was 3 weeks ago!). What is worse is that I host a repeater on my roof yet the sense of urgency to resolve is terribly slow - I think I will chase them next week for a resolution, it's gone on long enough.

Connection is quite terrible this morning, was downloading at around 10mbit then died suddenly. A quick speed test shows this embarrassing result!!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4159778009

Edit: Aaaand back to fairly normal speeds an hour later! http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4159883093

At work we get around 75Mbit with 7ms pings on our FTTC connection (less than 100m from the cabinet), it's rock solid at any time!

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by slimj (Sat 21-Feb-15 11:56:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Feb-15 12:20:49
Print Post

Try using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest the graphs can show how much the throughput varies for both upload and download

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Sun 22-Feb-15 13:54:25
Print Post

hi,

FTTC speeds will be good until take up increases. although cabs are live it doesn't mean everybody in the catchment areas has jumped ship from ADSL.

This is the same issue for any technology, there is only a finite capacity, "unlimited" is an unachievable target in reality as it is with ALL resources.

Fixed wireless is a fast evolving technology and capacity is increasing regularly and pretty much the only issue is capacity.

FTTC on the other hand degrades with many variables , line length and quality , crosstalk, radio interference (especially overhead phone lines).

This then includes backhaul capacity and how much bandwidth the ISP the other end has committed to paying for from BT. As these costs are fixed per mbits/sec then ISP's are obviously keen to have that pipe as saturated as possible to maximise the return.

These are the same issues ADSL had, just with shorter distances and greater chance of "unlimited abuse" contention effects.

Your work with 100 metres from the cab will be unlikely to suffer some issues at least, others on the same cab may not be so lucky later.

We at Kijoma are currently field testing new higher capacity equipment and will fit this to live networks once testing has completed. I suspect Vfast are doing the same.

We have done this 3 times before over the last 10 years, replacing entire networks and client equipment. It is not cheap but was necessary to keep up with demand.

No tax payers/state funds are being used to do this either, it like all non parasitic companies out there is paid for by the profits from existing customers and they will be the first to benefit.

The ~£2Bn of state aid to BT, although producing results ,will eventually come back and bite , just as it did with ADSL ~15 years ago when all the eggs were put in that basket.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Standard User slimj
(member) Sun 22-Feb-15 16:04:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by kijoma:
This then includes backhaul capacity and how much bandwidth the ISP the other end has committed to paying for from BT. As these costs are fixed per mbits/sec then ISP's are obviously keen to have that pipe as saturated as possible to maximise the return.

We at Kijoma are currently field testing new higher capacity equipment and will fit this to live networks once testing has completed. I suspect Vfast are doing the same.

We have done this 3 times before over the last 10 years, replacing entire networks and client equipment. It is not cheap but was necessary to keep up with demand.

That's great and it would be good to see faster speeds and more capacity from wireless equipment, but even so the current UBNT equipment is perfectly capable of speeds in excess of 50mb/s - I have experienced near this with the current equipment during early deployment.

But even with newer technology and faster equipment you still need to add the backhaul capacity behind the service to ensure these speed capabilities are maximised - this is something VFast seem to be failing to do on parts of the network.

Just for example, I pay for an 'up to' 24mb/s 'superfast' service - this is my speeds on a Sunday afternoon. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4162615764 totally unacceptable.

I've always been an advocate of their service as it's great for those too far from the exchange / not in an FTTC enabled area, but my patience is starting to wane a little now when it's taking so long to get an obvious issue rectified.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by slimj (Sun 22-Feb-15 16:17:02)

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Sun 22-Feb-15 16:39:28
Print Post

I think you missed the point. I doubt it is backhaul that is the issue, it will be capacity within the wireless side and no doubt greedy use from some customers.

This is the bit that is fast evolving within the wireless industry.

I am unaware of what the complaints procedure is with Vfast but if you have raised one directly with them then perhaps chase it up in the week?

I you are checking via wifi then perhaps try direct via cable too and compare speedtest.net with the TB tester as some of the speedtest.net test sites are also horribly contended and/or de-prioritised compared to the real traffic they pass on their routers.

run some ping tests perhaps too so you have a better understanding of the issue. pinging the gateway and say the bbc website helps to identify where the bottleneck maybe.

I think it is kind of sad that so many people think Fixed Wireless is "great for those too far from the exchange / not in an FTTC enabled area". Instead of thinking of it as a Local business worth supporting that provides a commercial service independent of a state funded disguised monopoly.

Via fixed wireless you can escape the ever increasing line rental, expensive bundles, your number being sold to anybody that will pay for it, muffled long phone lines, international call centre support etc...

Not to mention your money invariably goes towards the county you live in, not propping up a huge pension deficit and the shareholders of an international giant.

Whatever happened to Localism ?

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Standard User nivenj
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 16:52:43
Print Post

I've been with V-Fast for about a year. Before joining I raised a ticket on their support site and asked them about their FUP on their Ultimate (unlimited package). I had been on Fibre in Folkestone and my monthly usage was 700-900GB per month so I knew I was a high user. I am almost exclusively Netflix, Amazon and Now TV, I don't even have a terrestrial aerial plugged into my TV anymore.

Their response was that although their FUP states 300GB, this is based on continuos download. Video streaming is "Bursty" (their terminology not mine) and therefore they would have no problem with my 700GB a month.

Everything was fine, and then 2 months ago I got an email saying my monthly usage was 534GB and this was in breach of their FUP and I should try to reduce my usage. I responded and referred them to my previous ticket and discussion. I received no response.

Last month I received exactly the same email, I responded again, and received no response.

Yesterday at around midday, I lost my connection. I raised a call and they said my antenna was offline and they would send out an engineer.

Today I got another email telling me that due to my continued high usage they have terminated my service which i why I have no access. No notice, nothing, just bang..gone.

Apart from the obvious disruption to my normal viewing, I now have no access to connect into my work (i'm home based).

I contacted Clear Picture today and spoke their sales. They aren't a reseller of VFAST thankfully, and they have no usage limits whatsoever (they don't even monitor, never mind cap it).

They also have 2 options (15Mb and 24Mb), so unlike Vfast where you pay the same irrespective of your max speed (I can only get around 16Mb with Vfast due to my location), If I have the same issue with Clear Picture, I can opt for the 15Mb service and save some cash in the process.

Time will tell if their any good, and if there are any potential contention issues, but one things for sure, I will never use Vfast or recommend them again due to their appalling handling of my situation.
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 23-Feb-15 17:33:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by kijoma:
I think you missed the point. I doubt it is backhaul that is the issue, it will be capacity within the wireless side and no doubt greedy use from some customers.

I you are checking via wifi then perhaps try direct via cable too and compare speedtest.net with the TB tester as some of the speedtest.net test sites are also horribly contended and/or de-prioritised compared to the real traffic they pass on their routers.

run some ping tests perhaps too so you have a better understanding of the issue. pinging the gateway and say the bbc website helps to identify where the bottleneck maybe.

I think it is kind of sad that so many people think Fixed Wireless is "great for those too far from the exchange / not in an FTTC enabled area". Instead of thinking of it as a Local business worth supporting that provides a commercial service independent of a state funded disguised monopoly.

Via fixed wireless you can escape the ever increasing line rental, expensive bundles, your number being sold to anybody that will pay for it, muffled long phone lines, international call centre support etc...

Fair enough about capacity of the wireless equipment I'm connected to, but if it's at capacity, why add more users to a transmitter if it's going to affect the experience of others? Or why not upgrade the transmitter to increase capacity?

I run all my tests via a wired connection, sometimes directly to the CPE. Even so, my 4G connection at home happily speeds along at 30mb/s! The speed test sites all seem ok when I test from my work connection or 4G, I never run in to issues when running tests.

I have the TB ping quality monitor running all the time - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d9421e4348b... (evenings are usually terrible, after 5pm -> 11pm - while it may not look too bad, when the average latency heads over 25-30ms my connection slows to a crawl, this hasn't always been the case).

I do want to continue to support VFast as I've generally not had any problems in the past few years, but as far as I see it FTTC seems the faster and more reliable option (I understand VFast are going to be offering some FTTC services), and works out cheaper for an unlimited 38mbps service.

If I can be offered a wireless service similar to an FTTC service (or better) then I see no reason to go elsewhere.
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 23-Feb-15 17:51:43
Print Post

[re: nivenj] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nivenj:
I've been with V-Fast for about a year. Before joining I raised a ticket on their support site and asked them about their FUP on their Ultimate (unlimited package). I had been on Fibre in Folkestone and my monthly usage was 700-900GB per month so I knew I was a high user. I am almost exclusively Netflix, Amazon and Now TV, I don't even have a terrestrial aerial plugged into my TV anymore.

Why did you change from Fibre? I'd be interested to know? If you have access to this I don't understand why you would choose a wireless service?

Problem with the streaming services is that this is perfectly normal usage, yet the FUP's are too low for an 'unlimited' service.

Even if Clear Picture quoted you saying there's no FUP, I'd be surprised if they do not have something in place, after all, VFast support told you the same!

I've not seen any other 'wireless' equipment in the area, only VFast's (and some old So Broadband transmitters dotted about) so would be surprised if they are running off their own network - their coverage, packages and prices looks similar to VFast's.
Standard User nivenj
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 18:19:34
Print Post

I moved from Folkestone to a bit more rural where Broadband was 1Mbps crazy

I think they are different from Vfast. My Antenna is pointing towards VFAST's repeater in Ash. I asked them if thats where their repeater was and he said theirs wasn't (he did tell me but i forget)

I have a site survey planned for Wednesday so will let you all know how it goes.

Jim
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 23-Feb-15 19:39:20
Print Post

Isn't Orbital the parent company of VFast? If Clear Picture aren't re-selling VFast then it may be that they are another provider on Orbital's network.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 23-Feb-15 21:11:57
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yaz:
Isn't Orbital the parent company of VFast? If Clear Picture aren't re-selling VFast then it may be that they are another provider on Orbital's network.

This is probably the case, I thought they were reselling their service?

Are you still on VFast Yaz? How are you finding it?
Standard User V10Diesel
(newbie) Tue 24-Feb-15 12:38:25
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14247...

Starting to slow down already, was over 20 this morning.
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Tue 24-Feb-15 14:18:41
Print Post

I think they are different from Vfast. My Antenna is pointing towards VFAST's repeater in Ash. I asked them if thats where their repeater was and he said theirs wasn't (he did tell me but i forget)

I have a site survey planned for Wednesday so will let you all know how it goes.

Jim

Interesting Jim, I wonder where their repeater is then, if Clear Picture is on the orbital network (as has been suggested) then I would have thought it would be Ash (which is one of orbitals main sites). Maybe you will find out more on Wed, I would be interested to hear how it all goes.

Whilst they say "Unlimited" and I couldnt find any FUP, I just noticed this in their T&C's :-
(e) To protect our network and maintain quality of service for all our users we can temporarily or permanently control or restrict your online activities via Clear Picture Broadband where such activities may have a detrimental effect on other customers' quality of service and it is reasonable for us to do so.

So effectively and FUP with undefined limits.

Cheers
John

Edited by ModemMan (Tue 24-Feb-15 14:33:15)

Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 24-Feb-15 18:42:22
Print Post

Perhaps I spoke a little too soon but with the delay in getting the issue resolved I think I was right to be a little upset.

Spoke to Chris on the phone today and they have done some upgrades in Thanet, this has improved my connection nicely!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4168014135 (17Mb/s / 19Mb/s)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4168041111 (24Mb/s / 10Mb/s)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Hopefully this will be the end of my issue.

Edited by slimj (Tue 24-Feb-15 18:45:06)

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 26-Feb-15 01:04:59
Print Post

Still have VFast but I'm not using myself. I've got the VFast setup for the house and WiFi and my own desktop connected to my PlusNet FTTC connection.

As long VFast is working, I've not got any complaints from the rest of the house. I'll try and grab a few speedtests tomorrow at peak times to see how speeds are (if I can get the rest of the house off during the tests).

I'm selfish with my PlusNet connection which is connected at the full rate 78Mb and throughput around 75Mbps laugh

vFast Ltd
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Tue 10-Mar-15 12:04:12
Print Post

Jim

How did the site survey go, have you signed up with them? I'd be interested to hear what happened.
Cheers
John
Standard User ClearPictureAlex
(newbie) Tue 17-Mar-15 13:56:27
Print Post

Hi,

I look after the sales here at Clear Picture and I thought I had better step in to let everyone know who and what we are about. We are our own ISP, we have zero ties with any other Wireless Broadband provider, that includes Vfast or Orbital.Net.

In addition to our Wireless Broadband network, we are also SKY Progressive Resellers, the only one here in Kent. We work closely with them as another route to market.

I hope to speak to some of you in the not too distant future.

smile

Superfast Wireless Broadband throughout East Kent
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 17-Mar-15 19:13:05
Print Post

[re: ClearPictureAlex] [link to this post]

Hi Alex.
Just to confirm, you own and maintain your own network in Kent and are not reliant on any other provider (excluding fibre backbone connections)?

Yaz

vFast Ltd
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 17-Mar-15 19:38:40
Print Post

Would also be interested to know what wireless equipment you use and where your transmitters are located in Thanet?
Standard User ClearPictureAlex
(newbie) Wed 18-Mar-15 07:22:21
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

Hi Yaz,

That is correct, we are an ISP who own and maintain our own network.

Alex.

Superfast Wireless Broadband throughout East Kent
Standard User slimj
(member) Wed 18-Mar-15 17:08:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by ClearPictureAlex:
Hi Yaz,

That is correct, we are an ISP who own and maintain our own network.

Alex.

*Ahem*

"Would also be interested to know what wireless equipment you use and where your transmitters are located in Thanet?"

smile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 19-Mar-15 08:47:15
Print Post

That looks like commercially sensitive information.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 19-Mar-15 09:40:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, I don't think BT would tell you every bit of hardware and technology they use if you asked and doubt these guys would either to be fair.

This day and age there are a plethora of products out there , each with their own benefits, gone are the days when our only answer to that question was "we build our own" back when there were no affordable plug and play products for the 5 GHz FWA band in Europe.

Now it would be "we use a variety of technologies from various vendors" including some custom in house creations smile

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to