User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 14-Jan-16 12:05:44
Print Post

Re: Blaze Wireless

[re: chilting] [link to this post]

Hi Chilting,

Satellite is an easy tick box for .Gov . it on the surface covers "everywhere" even though it doesn't and neatly brushes under the carpet the failures of the BDUK process so far.

To be honest, we would rather they just left the market alone. The industry was a completely different place 10 years ago and ~5 years ago when the BDUK thing started.

There are now mature and evolving technologies and businesses willing to implement them such as Kijoma . It does not need to be proven or necessarily subsidised .

All the BDUK process is currently doing is stifling this free enterprise in order to ensure BT become the soul infrastructure provider as much as possible.

Satellite isn't good generally so BT know full well that over time people will demand better and they will be there awaiting the next state handout cheque to fulfill this with FTTP etc..

The lengths West Sussex have gone to in order to try and achieve this are quite staggering. FTTP en mass to hamlets and small villages. Commendable some might say ?

But if those hamlets already have 30-40Mbps Broadband services and over 95% of the properties use it then it quickly can be seen to be a collosal waste of resource and state money.

State money that could of been used to enable a hell of a lot more FTTC cabs in the areas they have ignored, oddly enough areas that do not have a Fixed Wireless or other high speed option such as 4G .

From this it can be deduced that State Aid has clearly been used as a competitive tool , something it is strictly forbidden to be used for. Leaving those in genuine need without.

If you need an example then look no further than this site at the maps.

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&...

See which ISP these are for and then factor in the FTTP roll out there.

As for Blaze, I do not envy their position, they are new to the technology ,the industry and more importantly the politics.

This is not something to enter in for the feint hearted , inexperienced or politically naive .

In reply to a post by chilting:
If the bureaucrats could find some way of extending the voucher scheme to include Fixed Wireless that would give it a tremendous boost.
The main benefit would be that it would give credibility and publicity to new and existing networks. Any actual cash injection would obviously help, but it would be secondary.
To offer rural consumers a full choice of ADSL, Fixed Wireless and Satellite would go a long way to fulfilling the Governments digital commitment to the final 5% beyond the reach of fibre and it would leave the door open to FTTP if the investment ever became available.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Thu 14-Jan-16 22:56:59
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

You covered my area, you just never replied to any emails.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Sun 24-Jan-16 10:21:28
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Meanwhile, over in Kent, there's an excellent Wireless ISP who's been getting on with the job, good pre-sales comms, went the "extra mile" to deliver to my customer. Reliability would have been excellent if it was a wired link - as it's wireless, it's unbelievably good !!
Rather than constantly bemoaning what BDUK is up to, as far I can tell they take every opportunity presented in the marketplace to build their business - for instance they've rolled-out GEA kit in BT exchanges across Kent.
No relationship with them (Orbital, in case anyone wonders), other than as a satisfied customer

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 24-Jan-16 10:35:53
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

So would you say Orbital is better than Kijoma?
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Sun 24-Jan-16 10:45:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Couldn't say. Never used Kijoma - neither been nor had a customer within their coverage.

But I get a bit tired of their MD's constant harping. Yes, there's loads wrong with BDUK. The return of monies from BT has demonstrated that it's in reality what I always said it was - underwriting of investment that BT could (and would if they were the least bit entrepreneurial) have made anyway. But this isn't the forum to get that changed.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 24-Jan-16 10:59:57
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mpellatt:
But I get a bit tired of their MD's constant harping. Yes, there's loads wrong with BDUK. The return of monies from BT has demonstrated that it's in reality what I always said it was - underwriting of investment that BT could (and would if they were the least bit entrepreneurial) have made anyway.
Yes, I also get tired of their whingeing especially as I believe they are actively preventing BDUK from considering areas they claim to be active in, yet being uncontactable by potential customers. Very selfish.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jan-16 18:48:34
Print Post

Bill might complain about overbuild, but he tells us why - Kijoma don't cover 100% of premises in an area.

If you were one of the uncovered properties, you'd think things were as unfair as Bill believes, but for the opposite reason.

The fact is that even Virgin leaves themselves open to overbuild, by failing to cover 100%. BDUK rules absolutely allow for this, nationwide.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sat 30-Jan-16 15:44:08
Print Post

100% this.

Data that West Sussex Better Connected scheme had said I couldn't be helped as high speed alternatives were available. I couldn't argue with the data they had as I could never get a response from Kijoma to say whether or not they could provide coverage. Their website and maps on here indicated they could, but the lack of response to emails I sent wasn't good enough for West Sussex to rule it out.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User chilting
(regular) Fri 24-Jun-16 14:10:11
Print Post

[re: chilting] [link to this post]

Great news!!!

Blaze has finally sorted out the legal side of things and are now taking orders for its Arun Valley network.

Also Kijoma are extending their network.

With both companies transmitting from different locations those of us who have been left out by Openreach now have an golden opportunity to receive superfast broadband from one or the other company.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to