User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aromadome
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Dec-20 20:10:25
Print Post

Anyone else using the new THREE.co.uk 5g broadband service?

[link to this post]

I've been using the service for a couple of weeks now. Download speeds are excellent compared to my old Virgin connection.

Not sure about the Huawei router though. It hasn't zapped me with COVID just yet wink but I keep getting "insecure connection" messages when I connect to it via ethernet.

Speed test result below:

https://www.nperf.com/r/3292074122145738-YqEGmMJ8
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Dec-20 15:34:03
Print Post

Re: Anyone else using the new THREE.co.uk 5g broadband servi

[re: aromadome] [link to this post]

Insecure connection - if you mean when logging into router via http://192.168.1.254 or when connecting to the wireless connection.

If the former then suggests webpage does not have SSL on it.
If the latter then suggests encryption is not enabled on the Wi-Fi connection and to stop anyone from within range connecting you need to enable WPA encryption in the routers configuration.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aromadome
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Dec-20 19:05:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info MrSaffron.

This is via ethernet at 192.168.8.1 which takes you to https://hirouter.net/

Strangely I can connect OK using Chrome (no errors displayed) but when I try and connect via Firefox (or Opera) the browser displays the message:

An error occurred during a connection to hirouter.net. Peer's Certificate has been revoked.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE

Apart from this the connection is fast and reliable. You have to get used to the "steam train" effect using 5g broadband. Slow to build up speed but pretty consistent after around 3-5 seconds. And for £29 a month it's more than 4 times faster than my Virgin fibre connection. And no cables to install or trip over!

I required a fast and reliable connection as I'm now working from my studio at home. This fits the bill although I also have a 4g+ EE account in case the THREE 5g goes down.

Cheers

Adam

Edited by aromadome (Wed 09-Dec-20 19:09:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 09-Dec-20 19:36:22
Print Post

The steam train effect you state, is a problem with all Three UK connections, whether 3G, 4G or 5G, change the DNS servers to something apart from Three's and it should go away.

Get no issues with EE 5G, but had horrific issues with speeds on Three.

Edited by Bryer (Wed 09-Dec-20 19:37:10)

Standard User aromadome
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Dec-20 19:41:13
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Ah! Didn't realise that thank you.

I've changed the DNS on all my kit to the Cloudflare servers. Hopefully that will improve things.

Cheers

Adam
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Dec-20 17:23:53
Print Post

The router appears to be using HTTPS for the page but the certificate it uses has been revoked. Firefox should be able to give you more details about the certificate (ie who it was issued to, when, who issued it, etc). A firmware update might provide a new valid certificate. To be honest it is all internal to your network so unless someone has compromised your internal network then you are likely ok - it just means someone could sniff your use of the routers admin interface if they were on the local network to do so.

EDIT : Some info here

Edited by ian72 (Fri 11-Dec-20 17:24:52)

Standard User hoopla
(committed) Sat 06-Feb-21 11:48:09
Print Post

I'd be happy with those speeds.
Unfortunately, despite having a 5G modem and a 5G sim, Three have not supplied me with any 5G signal to test them on.
And there's as yet no indication of when they will.
  Print Thread

Jump to