User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 02-Sep-12 11:16:05
Print Post

Re: VFast - New Packages to be announced

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'd be willing to pay close to £60 for that perhaps many won't but I would be.

I'd agree with that for the usage I need on a high quality, low latency network.
Would also want to see some clarity on what if any traffic shaping they apply.

I'd guess the issue for vfast might be the wireless bandwidth available through each repeater if the usage levels start to climb rapidly rather than the cost or provision of the back haul?

I am also interested in what will happen to keep the low latency on the network that (mostly) keeps my ms at >10ms.

Yesterday somebody on the Dunkirk mast was having a massive download session and between 1pm and 2pm my ms would spike every few seconds to >100ms from 10ms. If your gaming in BF3 then this will really mess things up.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Sep-12 16:13:24
Print Post

VFast latency and speed has always been flakey and unreliable. Their back hauls have always been saturated. This will just make that problem go away, only to have it come back when some tosspot starts ripping through his torrents.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Sep-12 22:09:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

My latency is consistent throughout the day never have an issue with it. Although I understand your frustrations in a game like BF3 where latency is the difference between life and death XD

Now I don't know if the above is due to location or simply me being the heaviest user in my area which is likely

I wish they weren't so cryptic with the information they released, when are they officially announcing the packages, the speeds, the costs, improvement in the overall network, reduced latency. I wouldn't even know about it if I hadn't checked their website (1st time I have since signing up for the service. So I'm guessing they'd e-mail everyone once the service launches otherwise I'm obliged to check their site everyday now.

Not everyone is raping torrents, I myself download almost everything I need on steam, a bunch of effects for After effects which can go into the 100's of GB's every month.

I've done a good job of doing downloads around this time to hopefully avoid affecting others and it seems to have been a good method as I've received no complaints from Vfast yet.

Really excited about the new service launching I don't think vfast quite understand tongue
the possibility of downloading steam games at 6MB/S will be lovely.

So yes Vfast if you're reading this someone reply and hint and what to expect (hopefully an upload upgrade as well which wasn't mentioned in the news release)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 10-Sep-12 18:17:22
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thought we would have heard something by now?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 11-Sep-12 20:05:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by brettjallen:
Thought we would have heard something by now?

I spoke with them yesterday and was told that it would be towards the end of the year, start of next year and probably rolled out by region.
He didn't sound that sure however so maybe take with a pinch of salt....
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 11-Sep-12 23:03:05
Print Post

wow ok they made it sound like something was coming much sooner lol
Standard User slimj
(member) Wed 12-Sep-12 10:17:39
Print Post

Not too great with their PR then as I read it as happening within weeks too - Good job the service is fantastic however! smile

Be good if Tim or Darren could post an update here for clarification.

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 11:27:43
Print Post

Depending on what kit they use they may be waiting on manufacturing and distribution of newer models to reach UK (tends to be USA first).

Naturally, there is nothing to stop you popping over to read the forums for that make of kit as many WISPs post there so you'll have a sense of who has tried what, as well as about the data rates and other capabilities of the kit (datasheets) - also in the public domain.

(apart from some beta stuff which is understandably members only for pre-release testing)

Not to assume too much as any serious WISPs will have other types of kit in the mix for the data centre / routing and and of the other not-specific-to-wireless nature of being an ISP.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 3.5Mbps / 800kbps
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:28:15
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

I was also told there would be no need for new customer kit, at least for any install carried out over the last year or two I think he said...
I guess that doesn't rule out possible new repeater kit though.
Standard User slimj
(member) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:37:09
Print Post

Probably not required to change any customer kit (if you're on the Airmax gear), just increase bandwidth to repeater sites.

I managed speeds up to about 50mbit on the Airmax gear during a trial 18 months ago so 60mbit should be possible without trouble providing the bandwidth is available.

Not sure how many users were on the new network when I was trialling so it will be interesting to see how the network performs with 100's of users connected at 60mbit! smile

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by slimj (Wed 12-Sep-12 12:38:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to