User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-11 11:43:16
Print Post

Re: slight profile fluctuations hammering IP profile

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Is there any mileage in getting the socket replaced with an NTE5 type and sticking an iPlate on?

yep, but I would go for nte5, and filtered faceplate
Standard User techguy
(member) Thu 18-Aug-11 11:46:57
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I'll have a chat to Zen support over the weekend as line rental is now through them too.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Aug-11 11:55:41
Print Post

Whatever colour is connected to pin 3 of the IDC connectors, often orange/white or white/orange but many people wire using different setups

Phone and ADSL only needs wires on pins 2 and 5

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(member) Thu 18-Aug-11 13:11:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Think I may pay up the 25 quid and get BTOR round to do it.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
ISP Representative Pontefract
(isp) Fri 19-Aug-11 00:34:17
Print Post

Hi,

If that was me - I didn't receive a message asking about price for wiring that I can find; was just waiting for a reply to my last message about the test socket. Not bored or moved on! smile Happy to pick up where we left off to get this sorted out for you.

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User techguy
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 17:56:03
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

Sorry, that sounded a tad harsh.

I think the message got lost in TBB's server somewhere.

Anyway I don't have an NTE5 so there's no master socket for me to plug into.

I had a quick chat with support just now about getting an NTE5 fitted so that I can fit an iPlate to it to rule out the bell wire as I don't really want to start cutting wires not to mention it being borderline illegal.

They've logged it as a broadband fault with BT so that it should be replaced for free.

Once again Zen prove they are worth the hard earned traded for their services.

Apologies again for the misplaced message and harsh comment Paul.

Have a good weekend.

ISP Representative Pontefract
(isp) Fri 19-Aug-11 23:05:26
Print Post

Hi,

No apologies required; as my Australian colleague Leo ('Azzaka') would say - no worries smile

If there's no nte5 present we'll get one fitted as part of the fault/engineer visit - we'll then be able to see what your line is capable of without your internal wiring attached and, as you say, you can fit an iplate if required.

Have a good weekend smile

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User techguy
(member) Thu 25-Aug-11 20:11:39
Print Post

Just to keep this thread up to date.

Openreach came on Tuesday and fitted an NTE5, sync appears to be stable at 3456 Kbps and after an IP profile reset by Zen now up to 2.4 Mbps and on fastpath.

Terrific stuff, not the cheapest but definitely the best.

Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Fri 26-Aug-11 08:25:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pontefract:
If there's no nte5 present we'll get one fitted as part of the fault/engineer visit ...[ SNIP ].... as you say, you can fit an iplate if required.
Don't the current OpenReach logoed NTE5s come with a bell wire filter already fitted? Hence no need for an additional iPlate.
Standard User techguy
(member) Fri 26-Aug-11 13:19:16
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

Hi Tac.

Did a bit of googling on the iPlate and I did discover that.

All is going great.

Going to take the xbox online over the weekend so that'll be the acid test but as I'm now on fastpath I should get a terrific ping too.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to