User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Mon 24-Aug-15 19:41:41
Print Post

Re: IPv6 trial

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

Well I've done nothing at all - come home and the IPv6 is now not working.

No one has touched the connection grr.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Tue 25-Aug-15 11:08:03
Print Post

I called Billion support back and to be fair I was shown that the guy I spoke to yesterday was a real gem. The guy today seemed uninterested and like he wanted me off the phone. He told me that if nothing has changed in the router then there is no way IPv6 could just stop working. So hey, I am a liar apparently.

He then said that Zen were not giving me an IPv6 address - (he clearly has physic powers) and that If they have "broken the link" then there was nothing he could do.

I said to him " no problem! I'll buy a Fritzbox - apparently they are decent" and hung up. I called back 10 minutes later and got the same guy so I just hung up.

I have no idea why it stopped but the guy yesterday at least took a few minutes to look over my router - this guy just seemed to connect to it in his mind like some sort of off shore Jedi

I'll stick with 4. Given up now.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Sep-15 18:01:19
Print Post

[re: tehdan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tehdan:
+1 for delegation of name servers for rDNS

another +1 for that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rhetherington
(committed) Wed 16-Sep-15 19:39:46
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

If Zen enables this Hurricane Electric has free hosted DNS which can also be used for rDNS.

I currently use it for all my domains DNS because, unfortunately, the vast majority of registrar-provided DNS is extremely limited in features, accepted record types and still IPv4-only.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-15 10:44:21
Print Post

I use HE name servers as secondaries. Very reliable, good company, and competent. Get a faster response from the technical people there (for a FREE service) than you do for some paid services; I had to contact them when .UK opened up middle of last year, and I wanted to a host a direct 2nd level TLD under .UK on their servers. Their systems wouldn't allow it (due to some regex pattern matching sanity checks they have, most likely) but they had the issue fixed in under 6 hours of me emailing them!

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial)
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-15 18:13:41
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by therioman:
In reply to a post by tehdan:
+1 for delegation of name servers for rDNS

another +1 for that.

And another +1 from me.

Quick query if I may:

Using my AAISP-supplied TG582n on Zen. IPv6 works fine, except that the Internet interface is configured only with link-local addresses - i.e. Neighbour Discovery Protocol isn't assigning addresses and the default gateway, I'm presuming it's down to the firmware, and I guess it isn't worth worrying about.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Oct-15 10:06:52
Print Post

[re: adsbenham] [link to this post]

Your router should get an address for its Internet interface using SLAAC. If this isn't happening, it's worth checking that SLAAC is enabled and ICMPv6 is not blocked.

If you can't persuade SLAAC to work, you should be able to assign any address from your Zen allocated /64 statically.

Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 17:35:30
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Your router should get an address for its Internet interface using SLAAC. If this isn't happening, it's worth checking that SLAAC is enabled and ICMPv6 is not blocked.

I've just about proved to myself that the firmware on my TG582n isn't doing the right thing (I'm running
10.2.0.B). If I turn off the DHCPv6 client and then connect to the Internet, then PPP assigns link-local
addresses, and ND puts in a route for the /64 - but doesn't assign any addresses from that /64, and
doesn't assign a default route up that /64.
Once I start the DHCPv6 client, then I get the delegated prefix and the local network gets assigned a
SLAAC address, but the Internet port doesn't get a SLAAC address - it just has a link-local address.

I'm using the config from:
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Enabling-...

I'm a little suspicious of the command:

dhcp clientv6 ifconfig intf=Internet listenra=disabled raflagslifetime=1800 stateless=disabled rapidcommit=disabled leasetime=0 irt=86400 iana=1

but if I change to stateless=enabled then IPv6 routing fails.

I'm wondering if Zen supply different firmware on their TG582n routers ?
But then I have DANT-1 hardware, and I bet Zen supply DANT-T hardware:

{Administrator}=>:software version
Flash image: 8.4.4.19.0
Active SW: DANT1010.20B (10.2.0.B)
Passive SW: ------------ (A.2.0.B)

If you can't persuade SLAAC to work, you should be able to assign any address from your Zen allocated /64 statically.

Indeed.

Anyway, I guess the pragmatic solution is to ignore the problem - IPv6 works, just maybe not as intended.
My main concern is that if I upgrade to FTTC and Zen supply a TG589vn then will it have the same issue ?

Thanks for your help (both here and in another forum).
Andrew
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Oct-15 18:43:27
Print Post

[re: adsbenham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adsbenham:
dhcp clientv6 ifconfig intf=Internet listenra=disabled raflagslifetime=1800 stateless=disabled rapidcommit=disabled leasetime=0 irt=86400 iana=1

A total guess, as I don't have that hardware - what happens with listenra=enabled?

Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 23:55:57
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
In reply to a post by adsbenham:

A total guess, as I don't have that hardware - what happens with listenra=enabled?

I'll give it a try tomorrow. Actually when I wireshark the router start-up, I'm a little puzzled with the flags on the router advertisements being sent to me. I need to reread the RFCs - I wonder if the router is doing the right thing, but the advertisements are wrong ?

Something (not DHCPv6) *is* listening to the router advertisements, and adding a route into the routing table. Just it's not assigning any addresses and making it a gateway route - and there's nothing in the wireshark trace to provide that data.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to