User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Aug-15 10:42:49
Print Post

Re: IPv6 trial

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Well this is certainly a bit different from A&A.

Took me a while, but am now up and running with a single /64 from the /48 prefix they delegated me. The /64 ND prefix works off the bat as I can see routing advertisements from that on the ppp interface right away, but to make use of the /48, I had to configure dhcp6c on the ppp interface to request they route the first /64 of that to me so I can use it. This is different from A&A where they simply statically route/associate a /48 with the connection without needing any of these antics.

Other than that, all appears to be good. Very pleased this has finally arrived.

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial) | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Aug-15 10:49:20
Print Post

[re: hopeless] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/flash-spe...

Links to forced versions in that FAQ item

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hopeless
(member) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:19:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

IPv4:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

I let my 7800N auto configure and it set my IP as Delegated Prefix /48. Is it supposed to be /64?

Out of my depth here and not even sure if I need IPv6.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:35:04
Print Post

got my working too, but not getting good throughput IPV6 speedtest
Standard User tehdan
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:44:00
Print Post

My Mikrotik router wouldn't get a the /64 via ND, but it does get the default route from the pppoe interface. It seems happy with a manually assigned address from that block. Requesting the /48 by DHCP worked fine, and using 2 /64s from it locally so far. I have found that vs a sixxs tunnel I'm seeing better latency but reduced throughput so far...

So far pretty good I think, I'm sure they'll get performance under control.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:45:49
Print Post

[re: tehdan] [link to this post]

ive wasted 2 hours of my life trying to get this to work on my Billion 8800NL I have a LAN and WAn ipv6 address but none of the testers here work

As Zen do a static why are we all worried we are going to run out of IPs anyway? or have I got the idea totally wrong?
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Aug-15 12:23:11
Print Post

[re: tehdan] [link to this post]

I spent most of last night and most of this morning reconfiguring everything, which has been somewhat of a nightmare. I have particular services which expect particular IPv6 addresses to be up and running after I send everything for a reboot, so took me a while to actually suss out what is going on and how I need to configure things.

So in a nutshell, here it is:

1) Firstly I had to enable the ppp tools to recognise and configure IPv6 link level address on ppp interface. This is done by adding a single line to my "options" file that looks like this:

Text
ipv6 ,

I already had this in from my time at A&A (left it as is when I migrated to Zen) so this part was already done.

2) I then had to explicitly tell the kernel to accept RA (Routing Advertisement) notifications on the ppp interface: sysctl net.ipv6.conf.ppp0.accept_ra=2

3) Then I have to wait. After a while, when Zen send a RA down the ppp link under the ND /64 prefix, the interface automatically sets itself up with a random IPv6 address under this prefix.

4) Then DHCP6C runs on ppp0, requesting that I want the first /64 of the /48 delegated prefix they've assigned me. That config looks like this:

Text
interface ppp0 {
    send ia-na 0;    send ia-pd 0;
}; 
id-assoc na 0 { }; 
id-assoc pd 0 {    prefix-interface eth0 {
        sla-id 0;        sla-len 16;
    };};

The "sla-len" value of 16 creates a /64 which is /48 (what Zen delegate) + 16 bits to create a local /64 my side. DHCP6C then creates an address (based on the MAC address of eth0) and sets that up on eth0 (my LAN) for me.

I've also manually configured 2 other addresses under this /64 prefix, on eth0, when Linux brings up the interface (totally independent of this process) so dnsmasq doesn't complain on bootup that it can't find configured IPv6 address to bind to because none of the above has actually run yet.

Once all of the above settles down, it works like a charm.

Not sure why Zen have opted to go this route. It seems overly complicated. Statically routing like what A&A does is so much simpler (no need to run dhcp6c or explicitly telling the kernel to accept RA on ppp0 etc). Maybe they have their reasons, maybe they've been trialling this with common IPv6 enabled routers, but A&A was much much simpler than this.

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial) | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)

Edited by mixt (Tue 18-Aug-15 12:43:36)

Standard User andatche
(regular) Tue 18-Aug-15 12:50:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by mixt:
Not sure why Zen have opted to go this route. It seems overly complicated. Statically routing like what A&A does is so much simpler (no need to run dhcp6c or explicitly telling the kernel to accept RA on ppp0 etc). Maybe they have their reasons, maybe they've been trialling this with common IPv6 enabled routers, but A&A was much much simpler than this.

This is a pretty standard setup for end user dual-stack configurations and conforms with TR-187 (https://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-187.pdf) and rfc7084 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7084).

As far as I can tell though, there is nothing preventing you from simply statically configuring the /64 ND prefix on the ppp interface and then using the /48 as you see fit. It appears the entire /48 is routed either way.
Standard User tehdan
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 12:55:37
Print Post

As per their email, it there is a standard Zen is trying to adhere too:

We are intending for the Service to conform to the Broadband Forum Standard TR187

I guess the aim being to have a fairly standard setup allowing CPE to be configured automatically other than PPPoE credentials. Of course A&A do it the hard way, they massively predate anyone trying to standardise this for consumer broadband smile
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Aug-15 13:00:01
Print Post

[re: andatche] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andatche:
As far as I can tell though, there is nothing preventing you from simply statically configuring the /64 ND prefix on the ppp interface and then using the /48 as you see fit. It appears the entire /48 is routed either way.

The /48 is not routed by default. From Zen directly (yesterday, when I was wondering why the /48 was not being routed):
The final 64 bits of your PPP interface may change dependant on your CPE. We have left this under the End Users control.

For the /48 delegated prefix, we cannot see a successful delegation;

[email protected]
Session state Up
Circuit L2TP LNS 3300
Internal Circuit X/X:X:X:X/X/X/X
Interface bound zen-ppp-default
Current port-limit unlimited
Protocol Stack Dual
ip route 88.96.X.X 255.255.255.248 88.96.X.X 1 (applied)
ip address 88.96.X.X (applied)
truncatedÖ.
Framed-IPV6-Prefix 2a02:8011:XXXX:X::/64 (applied)
Delegated-IPV6-Prefix 2a02:8010:XXXX::/48 (applied)
truncatedÖ.
calling-id BBEUXXXXXXXX (applied)

We can see that the BRAS is aware of the Prefix that it would offer, but this has not been requested and installed. The routing only completes once the DHCP-PD is successful.

If you can confirm what router you are using, weíll attempt to assist with getting DHCP-PD working for you.

You are right, I could use the /64 ND prefix and not bother with the /48, but it's nice to try out the full scope of this implementation, considering it's a trial - plus using the first /64 of the /48 creates shorter (nicer looking) addresses. smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to