User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 16:58:12
Print Post

Re: IPv6 trial

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
In reply to a post by adsbenham:
dhcp clientv6 ifconfig intf=Internet listenra=disabled raflagslifetime=1800 stateless=disabled rapidcommit=disabled leasetime=0 irt=86400 iana=1

A total guess, as I don't have that hardware - what happens with listenra=enabled?

Confused of LNWIN here....

If I have listenra=enabled then DHCPv6 doesn't give me the delegated prefix. I still don't
get addresses on the ND subnet, just the ND route.

Looks like any move away from stateless=disabled listenra=disabled means one doesn't get
the delegated prefix.

I think I'll just accept that it works, just not as intended. I might see if anyone else has a
TG582n working better - because it might be down to firmware.

Thanks for your help.
Andrew
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Nov-15 00:01:48
Print Post

[re: adsbenham] [link to this post]

The link local addresses of your endpoint and the Zen gateway come from IPV6CP, which is part of PPP - it has nothing to do with RA.

The only way your router's WAN interface will be auto-allocated a globally routable IPv6 address from the /64 ZEN allocate to you is if the router listens to RA and acts on the advertisement of the /64 with the flags indicating auto allocation (SLAAC) is permitted.

Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Sun 01-Nov-15 17:17:29
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
The link local addresses of your endpoint and the Zen gateway come from IPV6CP, which is part of PPP - it has nothing to do with RA.

Indeed, I'm happy with that.

The only way your router's WAN interface will be auto-allocated a globally routable IPv6 address from the /64 ZEN allocate to you is if the router listens to RA and acts on the advertisement of the /64 with the flags indicating auto allocation (SLAAC) is permitted.

What I see at router startup with Wireshark is a RA from fe80::230:88ff:fe16:5eff (which is the Zen end of my PPP link):

Internet Control Message Protocol v6
    Type: Router Advertisement (134)
    Code: 0
    Checksum: 0x38c1 [correct]
    Cur hop limit: 64
    Flags: 0x40
        0... .... = Managed address configuration: Not set
        .1.. .... = Other configuration: Set
        ..0. .... = Home Agent: Not set
        ...0 0... = Prf (Default Router Preference): Medium (0)
        .... .0.. = Proxy: Not set
        .... ..0. = Reserved: 0
    Router lifetime (s): 1200
    Reachable time (ms): 0
    Retrans timer (ms): 0
    ICMPv6 Option (MTU : 1492)
        Type: MTU (5)
        Length: 1 (8 bytes)
        Reserved
        MTU: 1492
    ICMPv6 Option (Prefix information : 2a02:8011:d00b::/64)
        Type: Prefix information (3)
        Length: 4 (32 bytes)
        Prefix Length: 64
        Flag: 0xc0
            1... .... = On-link flag(L): Set
            .1.. .... = Autonomous address-configuration flag(A): Set
            ..0. .... = Router address flag(R): Not set
            ...0 0000 = Reserved: 0
        Valid Lifetime: 18000
        Preferred Lifetime: 1800
        Reserved
        Prefix: 2a02:8011:d00b:: (2a02:8011:d00b::)

So my (limited) understanding is that the A flag is saying that SLAAC is allowed (and I'm not sure if the R flag needs to be set to make that route a default route).
However my TG582n appears to listen to RA (despite having DHCPv6 to be configured with listenra=disabled) to the extent of configuring the route, but doesn't get itself a SLAAC address on that network:

:ip rtlist proto=ipv6 expand disabled 
Label                                          Destination Interface        Admin Oper   Mtr                                 Gateway
-----                                          ----------- ---------        ----- ----   ---                                 -------
      (Other routes redacted)                                 
                                       2a02:8011:d00b::/64 Internet         UP    UP       0
                                                      ::/0 Internet         UP    UP       0                fe80::230:88ff:fe16:5eff

:ip iplist proto ipv6
Flags legend: [P]referred  primar[Y]     [R]oute    [H]ost route  d[E]precated  [I]nvalid
              [T]entative  d[U]plicated  [A]nycast  auto[C]onf    [D]ynamic     [O]perational
                                     Prefix Interface        Type           Flags       
                                     ------ ---------        ----           -----       
    2a02:8011:XXXX:0:9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 LocalNetwork     Ethernet       ...H.....CDO
                        2a02:8011:XXXX::/64 LocalNetwork     Ethernet       ..RH....A.DO
               fe80::9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 LocalNetwork     Ethernet       ..RH......DO
               fe80::9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 mobilebroadban.. Serial         ..RH......DO
               fe80::9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 Internet         Serial         ..RH......DO
                                    ::1/128 loop             Internal       ..RH......DO
                                 fe80::1/64 loop             Internal       ..RH......DO

I'm presuming that listening to RA and getting the SLAAC address (and default route ?) should be happening before DHCPv6 starts up. In that case, my looking at DHCPv6 config is too late and I should be looking at IPv6 config itself.
My suspicion is that the firmware I'm running isn't capable of doing what's needed. I've had no replies to a posting on the Zen forum asking if anyone else is using a TG582n on Zen's IPv6 trial, so maybe I'm on to a loser here.

Once again, thanks for your help with this.
Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Sun 01-Nov-15 17:43:55
Print Post

[re: adsbenham] [link to this post]

"Bother", said Alice, as she looked at ip config:

:ip iflist intf=Internet expand=enabled
Interface                            Group  MTU   RX         TX         Admin  Oper
2   Internet. . . . . . . . . . . .  wan    1492  6358 KB    768 KB     UP     UP     
    Lower-Intf    : Internet_ppp                    
    Encapsoverhead: 32
    Flags         : PTP DYNAMIC LINKSENSING MULTICAST FORWARDING
    IPv4
       Flags         : NAT BOUND ADMINSTATE UP
       RX unicastpkts: 4379    brcastpkts : 0       mcastpkts : 39     
       TX unicastpkts: 4269    brcastpkts : 0       mcastpkts : 0       droppkts: 0      
       TX singlepkts: 2588    multiplepkts: 21     
    IPv6
       Flags         : ACCEPTRA BOUND ADMINSTATE UP
       curhoplimit : 64   dadtransmits : 1    retranstimer : 1000 ms
       RX unicastpkts: 5571    brcastpkts : 0       mcastpkts : 33      droppkts: 223    
       TX unicastpkts: 4201    brcastpkts : 0       mcastpkts : 5       droppkts: 0      
       TX singlepkts: 1319    multiplepkts: 12

A quick:
:ip ifconfig intf=Internet autoconf=enabled

and then
:ip iplist proto=ipv6               
Flags legend: [P]referred  primar[Y]     [R]oute    [H]ost route  d[E]precated  [I]nvalid
              [T]entative  d[U]plicated  [A]nycast  auto[C]onf    [D]ynamic     [O]perational
                                     Prefix Interface        Type           Flags       
                                     ------ ---------        ----           -----       
    2a02:8011:XXXX:0:9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 LocalNetwork     Ethernet       ...H.....CDO
                        2a02:8011:XXXX::/64 LocalNetwork     Ethernet       ..RH....A.DO
               fe80::9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 LocalNetwork     Ethernet       ..RH......DO
               fe80::9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 mobilebroadban.. Serial         ..RH......DO
>>> 2a02:8011:d00b:0:9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 Internet         Serial         ...H.....CDO <<<
               fe80::9e97:26ff:fe77:4cfa/64 Internet         Serial         ..RH......DO
                                    ::1/128 loop             Internal       ..RH......DO
                                 fe80::1/64 loop             Internal       ..RH......DO

Looks like Zen's instructions are missing this. I'll add a comment on their knowledgebase.

So, is this working as intended now ?

Andrew
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Nov-15 13:44:42
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

FYI, this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later, before moving on with full deployment to entire customer base. I have a Raspberry Pi and several other devices running MTAs (Postfix mostly) with publicly accessible IPv6 addresses only. Upon attempting to email my gmail account, I get this error from Google:

Text
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.1 [2a02:8010:****::*] Our system has detected
    that this message does not 550-5.7.1 meet IPv6 sending guidelines regarding    PTR records and authentication 550-5.7.1 . Please review 550-5.7.1
    https://support.google.com/mail/?p=ipv6_authentication_error for more 550    5.7.1 information. p9si15563558wjz.177 - gsmtp

Valid TXT records already present but the reverse DNS PTR records are the main thing breaking this at the moment.

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial)
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to