User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 08:34:48
Print Post

Zen non-LLU Speed Test & BQM Results

[link to this post]

I'm looking at other possible options, should I decide to migrate away from my Pulse8 TTB based MPF connection, which is still having significant single thread speed issues, which we have pretty comprehensively proven are down to the TTB network.

The issue is currently being worked on by TTB, thanks to the efforts of Adam at P8 and I will be giving them more time to try and resolve the issue before jumping ship.

The cost of the move away from TTB MPF is not going to be insignificant, so I just want to make sure I have a bolt hole to go to that I am comfortable with.

So if you could post your TTB speed test results and any associated BQMs that would really be appreciated and advise whether they are on a TTB or BTW based connection.

I'm not on a Zen LLU exchange, so am looking for results for those of you on a standard BTW connection

Thanks.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 12:26:47
Print Post

Re: Zen non-LLU Speed Test & BQM Results

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I can't help with your request, as I'm on Zen's backhaul network, not BT Wholesale.

Are you absolutely certain that you would be connected to Zen via BT Wholesale? I'm not sure there's an accurate list of "own network" exchanges on any public source; the list has grown considerably since the original announcement of Zen's backhaul network and there are periodic reports in this forum of people being moved to Zen's network.

It might be worth asking Zen sales if can give you a definite answer as to whether you would be connected via Zen's network or BT Wholesale.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 13-Feb-17 15:12:46
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I've assumed that samknows is correct.

I will give them a shout in a next day or two.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative jongreen84
(isp) Mon 13-Feb-17 15:16:53
Print Post

Happy to take a look for you. PM me if you don't want to publish your exchange.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 13-Feb-17 15:48:13
Print Post

[re: jongreen84] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jongreen84:
Happy to take a look for you. PM me if you don't want to publish your exchange.

PM sent with a few additional questions. wink
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 20:14:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
I've assumed that samknows is correct.
SamKnows' data is very out of date. My exchange was not one on the original list, but I've been on Zen's own backhaul for somewhere around two years. SamKnows still says there's no Zen presence at my exchange.

I'm pleased to see Jon has posted in this thread as he will be able to give you an accurate answer.

thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 13-Feb-17 20:42:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
SamKnows' data is very out of date. My exchange was not one on the original list, but I've been on Zen's own backhaul for somewhere around two years. SamKnows still says there's no Zen presence at my exchange.

I'm pleased to see Jon has posted in this thread as he will be able to give you an accurate answer.

Let's see what Jon says. Their sales team seem to think they don't have a presence, but we'll see.
(isp) Mon 13-Feb-17 21:27:36
Print Post

My exchange was not one on the original list, but I've been on Zen's own backhaul for somewhere around two years. SamKnows still says there's no Zen presence at my exchange.

I think the confusion with the data is the parent/child relationship that exists with FTTC. While we may not have a presence in the actual exchange your copper line goes back to, the fact the fibre from your cabinet can go back to a larger/more central exchange may mean that we can get you directly onto our backhaul.

I'll double check that someone is informing SamKnows of updates as we continue to roll out more exchanges, although this won't help with the above!

Jon
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 21:47:52
Print Post

[re: jongreen84] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jongreen84:
I think the confusion with the data is the parent/child relationship that exists with FTTC. While we may not have a presence in the actual exchange your copper line goes back to, the fact the fibre from your cabinet can go back to a larger/more central exchange may mean that we can get you directly onto our backhaul.
In case it helps, Jon, I'm on SMFK. Having checked on the customer portal, I was moved to Zen's backhaul on 1 October 2014, but SamKnows still says there's no Zen presence at the exchange. You've had some input in relation to my FTTC and single-thread issues which, after the backhaul reconfiguration, have gone away and have not returned.

I don't believe SMFK FTTC is parented off another exchange, considering the timeline of deployment locally, but you might know differently!

(isp) Mon 13-Feb-17 22:00:52
Print Post

I remember, I just didn't want to give away anything about your location! It's really good to hear the issue remains resolved. SMFK is a child of Milton Keynes (SMBT), which SamKnows correctly lists us as having a presence.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 08:42:08
Print Post

Let's see what Jon says. Their sales team seem to think they don't have a presence, but we'll see.

It looks as though you are right about SamKnows being out of date. It seems that our exchange is a child exchange of another exchange which does have a Zen LLU PoP (although SamKonows is oblivious to this).

Jon has confirmed that our cabinet is covered by their GEA cablelink, so all is good from a Zen LLU perspective.

Anyway, I'm now interested in seeing any Zen LLU fibre TBB speed test results. Perhaps I should start a new thread as the subject line of this one is now a bit out of date.

(Edit: GEA Cablelink info updated.)

Edited by jaydub (Tue 14-Feb-17 09:19:37)

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-17 10:40:24
Print Post

Anyway, I'm now interested in seeing any Zen LLU fibre TBB speed test results. Perhaps I should start a new thread as the subject line of this one is now a bit out of date.
The speed tests in my signature are a little dated, but are still representative of what I see when on a wired connection to my local network.

I would update the speed tests but I'm currently writing from a machine on Wi-Fi, which limits me to c. 50 Mbit/s downstream for both single and multiple threaded traffic in this location. One day I might upgrade the access points from 802.11n dual band to 802.11ac devices, but it's hard to justify the expenditure. 802.11n dual band is adequate for my current needs.

The BQM links in my signature are live data.

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 11:25:18
Print Post

Hi David,

Thanks for pointing out the links. The BQM looks good. I'm slightly interested in the jiggliness of your speed test though. Was this a non-flash result as I would have anticipated the flash tester would have smoothed these out.

Just asking out of interest, as the fact that the single and multi thread speed tests are overlapped is much more important to me.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-17 12:07:42
Print Post

Thanks for pointing out the links. The BQM looks good. I'm slightly interested in the jiggliness of your speed test though. Was this a non-flash result as I would have anticipated the flash tester would have smoothed these out.
The TBB speed test was using the HTML5 tester at http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/. I'm moving to a Flash and Java plugin free environment; I regard both these as a legacy technologies whose time is really up.

The shape of the graphs is likely a function of having Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 (the business version of Kaspersky) installed, also the Codel based QoS/traffic shaper setup on my pfSense router.

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 12:44:04
Print Post

Thanks. I was just trying to satisfy my curiosity and suspect you may well be right with your thinking it could well be your router or AV causing the effect.

Jon G has been providing great support in the background, so ever more likely I am going to make the jump as long as I can keep my phone line with Pulse8.
Standard User bwlmog
(learned) Fri 17-Feb-17 18:13:00
Print Post

Hi, I'm currently on BT Infinity and have the option to leave mid-contract due to price increase and am tempted by Zen. However, there seems to be mixed reviews over their current service, particularly FTTC. I'm a fairly heavy user, three mobiles, four tablets, Xbox one, PS4, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime and shortly Sky Q so I'm looking for something that doesn't have traffic management etc slowing these connections during peak times.

Any views on this ISP from Fibre users would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking the thread.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to